Minority Report Complete Score Discussion (Rebuilding the filmographies section of the main page - Week 1)

Jay

So does anyone know the track times of the unreleased cues and how many minutes Unreleased total?

I can give you the track times for the unreleased cues on this list. The lists from Jim Ware and James Luckard on the Filmography page are different from the original cue list, so their times are (obviously) different.

Is that what you're looking for—track times for the cues on the recording sessions list?

- Uni

You're replying to a post from 13 months ago!

Since then the full recording sessions have leaked so his old question is now moot

You're replying to a post from 13 months ago!

Since then the full recording sessions have leaked so his old question is now moot

Actually, I'm replying to a post from a month and a half ago. They've been out for a while, sure, but the Filmography page doesn't list the track times. I was just offering to fulfill a request, that's all.

- Uni

Oh, yeah . . . well . . . I guess if you're counting in dog months, then it's . . . uh—

Just leave me alone, LeBlanc. :sarcasm:

- Uni

Smeltington, one reason there might not be much discussion of the sessions could be that it just leaked and people are still digesting it, or perhaps members here had it before it leaked publicly, and so they've already discussed it?

~~~

I put together this spreadsheet a while back that should help people correlate the sessions to the OST:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AjiRtgP4_o4TdF96X3F0QlE0bHl0U1gzLXRaUkRtMWc&output=html

Feel free to let me know if there's anything wrong with my spreadsheet. Looks like I never notated the split times for track 11 and track 13.

Also, IIRC aren't the electronic elements of the Escape/Conveyor Belt cues not present in the sessions?

Anybody hear the sessions? ? ? I feel like I'm posting in an alternate universe where Minority Report leaked and no one cared!

It ain't alternate, it's the real one. The only Williams session I really want is Prisoner Of Azkaban.

I recently watched Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, and even though I know every note of every cue in the film by memory, I cannot wait until the complete recorded score is released.

Feel free to let me know if there's anything wrong with my spreadsheet. Looks like I never notated the split times for track 11 and track 13.

I've shared a new spreadsheet and I've revised some things:

1M6 Stopping The Crime Pt. 1 (4:24)

OST 03 (0:00-1:21) / Unreleased (0:30) / OST 03 (1:21-1:59) / Unreleased (1:52)
1M6 Stopping The Crime Pt. 2 (3:51)
OST 03 (1:59-end)

1M9 Image Of Sean (2:43)

OST 04 (0:00-1:06) / OST 04 (2:09-3:07) / Unreleased (0:39)

4M1 The Greenhouse Scene (5:24)

OST 06 (0:00-3:51) / Unreleased (0:07) / OST 06 (3:51-4:27) / Unreleased (0:06) / OST 06 (4:27-end)

4M3 Dr. Eddie And Miss Van Eyck (3:15)

OST 11 / Unreleased (0:09)

4M5 The Swimming Pool Scene (3:54)

Unreleased (2:17) / OST 04 (3:07-end)

5M2 Robotic Spiders (2:32)
OST 05 (0:00-2:28)
5M3 In The Tub (2:03)
OST 05 (2:28-end)
5M4 Saving The Eye Ball (3:22)
OST 07 (0:00-3:18)
5M8 Agatha Sees All (3:03)
OST 12 (0:00-1:16) / Unreleased (0:47) / OST 12 (2:26-end)
6M3 Remembering Sean (5:10)
OST 14 (0:00-0:45) / Unreleased (0:07) / OST 14 (0:45-end)
7M6 Confronting Lamar (3:50)
OST 15 (0:00-1:48) / Unreleased (0:05) / OST 15 (1:48-3:43)
7M7 Thought Transference And Finale (3:32)
OST 15 (3:43-6:41) / Pause (0:05) / OST15 (6:41-end)
8M1 A New Beginning (1:45)
OST 16 (0:00-1:45)
CD Extension (1:44)
OST 16 (1:45-end)
Unknown Segment (1:03)
OST 04 (1:06-2:09)

Awesome, thanks for that!

Wow, OST 04 1:06-2:09 doesn't appear in the session leak at all?

And neither does OST 16 1:45-end?

Also, I thought I read somewhere that the start of the end credits was different between the OST and sessions.... anyone confirm?

Smeltington, one reason there might not be much discussion of the sessions could be that it just leaked and people are still digesting it, or perhaps members here had it before it leaked publicly, and so they've already discussed it?

I put together this spreadsheet a while back that should help people correlate the sessions to the OST:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AjiRtgP4_o4TdF96X3F0QlE0bHl0U1gzLXRaUkRtMWc&output=html

That explains it, then. Thank you for the spreadsheet! And thanks to Ro Sajooc for his, as well.

Awesome, thanks for that!

Wow, OST 04 1:06-2:09 doesn't appear in the session leak at all?

I can tell you exactly details about this. I'm having lunch now, and i will get back here in a while. ;)

ok.

we have 2 versions of 1m9:

1m9 (let's say this has 2 halfs: 1st and 2nd half) and 1m9 revised.

Now, 1m9 revised is supposed to substitute the first half of 1m9.

So:

in the scene we had originally:

1m9 complete

the scene revised is:

1m9rev + 2nd half of 1m9 (this is how it is in the recording sessions, and probably in the film, can't check that right now)

now, the track 4 of cd is (hope the timings are correct, I've used a youtube track. )

0.00-1.05: 1m9rev

1.06-3.07: 1m9 (almost complete)*

3.07-end (2nd half of 4m5: the Swimming pool)

*actually the portion that is missing for the cue to be complete, is almost identical to 3.07. - 3.30 which is part of the Swiiming Pool cue. It's just that they have a small difference in orchestration)

So, the 1.06-2.09 of cd track 4 that is marked as an unkown segment, or not present in the sessions, is none other than the 1st half of the original 1m9! But instead of substituting it with the 1m9 revised, they put it together in the CD!

Eventually, in Jason's spreadsheet, it would be like this:

Sheet Music: 1m9 RS: 0.00-1.05 (not there) + 1.05-end OST: track 4 : 1.05-3.07 + approx 23 seconds unreleased (which like i said are almost similar to a portion of Swimming pool)

Sheet Music :1m9 revised RS: 0.00-1.05 OST: track 4: 0.00-1.05

maybe it looks a bit complicated, but the key thing is to understand that 1m9revised, doesn't revise the whole 1m9, but only its first half!

Awesome filmmusic thanks for that!

I've updated my spreadsheet, does it look accurate to you now?

Another question: OST track 14 "Sean" by Agatha is missing 7 seconds of music at the 0:45 mark that can be heard in the sessions track 6m3 Remembering Sean. Are these 7 seconds a section of 6M3 that was microedited out of the OST, OR, are these 7 seconds in actuality "6M3 Insert"?

Have you looked at the sheet music for 6m3 Insert and compared it to the missing 7 seconds though?

Another question: OST track 14 "Sean" by Agatha is missing 7 seconds of music at the 0:45 mark that can be heard in the sessions track 6m3 Remembering Sean. Are these 7 seconds a section of 6M3 that was microedited out of the OST, OR, are these 7 seconds in actuality "6M3 Insert"?

ok, i'm looking into it.

Recording sessions 6m3 is 6m3 + insert (the insert doesn't add staff, it replaces staff)

will look into the cd now (i have a hunch it is the 6m3 without the insert).

But, as you have written the spreadsheet, it becomes complicated because you're comparing the recording sessions to the sheet music. The most convenient thing would be to compare the sheet music to the recording sessions. eg.

if the first 2 colums change place we have:

RS: 6m3 Sheet music: 6m3 + 6m3 insert (replaces bars of 6m3)

now, as you have written it, it will get to:

Sheet music: 6m3 RS: 0.00-2.03 + not there + 3.33-end

Sheet music: 6m3 insert RS:2.03-3.33

i will have to look at the cd track now. will get to you in a few minutes.

Thanks!

Another question as well:

The music in OST track 16 A New Beginning from 1:45-end doesn't appear in the sheet music anywhere at all right? Or the sessions?

about the previous question:

It's like Ro said.

If you listen to RS: 6m3 at 0.40 that sustained high note in the violins is kept more than in the cd track.

in the cd track, they just shortened it. (so the cd track is 6m3 + insert again, but just microedited of that sustained violins note)

(of course in the sheet music at that spot it had some other stuff too that are not recorded. instead, they kept the sustained note all the way through)

about OST:16

Yes, it doesn't appear anywhere from what I know..

Although i can't understand why the piece needed this cd extension. it doesn't add anything, it's just a sort of repeat. it doesn' develop that theme or anything..

Okee I updated the spreadsheet with a note about 6m3 Insert already being integrated into the cue before recording began

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AjiRtgP4_o4TdF96X3F0QlE0bHl0U1gzLXRaUkRtMWc&usp=sharing

BTW, I find it weird that for OST track 12 Visions of Anne Lively, he actually stuck 2m5 Anne Lively IN THE MIDDLE of 5m8 Agatha Sees All, usually he doesn't do that

The music in OST track 16 A New Beginning from 1:45-end doesn't appear in the sheet music anywhere at all right? Or the sessions?

I think 8M2 End Credits features a short version of track 16 at 3:28.

What the heck is "Schubert Collage"? Was it meant to play under Schubert's Symphony? If that's the case, it should come before "Elevator confrontation", right? (both ar 2m6)

The album and film version of "Agatha springs forwards" is different than the leaked version (it has Anne Lively's theme on top of it).

And there are a couple of cues in the film that are not listed... (right before 2m6 and before 6m3). Are those tracked?

In the final film, there is TRACKED music in between 6m1 and 6m2, and in between 6m2 and 6m3.

Yes, there are several cues which have some additional elements in the film that didn't leak with the sessions

Many cues have different mixes between the album, session leak, and film as well (see 2m5, 3m4, 5m8., 6mA, etc)

I have a few questions:

1.) Exactly what cues have a different mix, between the original recordings, and the album (and maybe the film)?

2.) Did John Williams write the source cue Pre-Crime Commercial?

I have a few questions:

2.) Did John Williams write the source cue Pre-Crime Commercial?

I do believe Williams composed the source cue. The main ostinato bears a close resemblance of Zam the Assassin's motif from AOTC. I guess it was on JW's brain when he wrote the busy and newsy commercial music for Minority Report.

• 3 months later...

Thanks, Incanus, for answering my second. What about the answer to my first question? Does anyone know?

I haven't seen the movie in a while, but I know the album version of Anderton's Great Escape contains synth drums, while the version in the recording sessions leak does not.

Cool. By the way, I replied back to you about that cue from The Lost World: Jurassic Park. If you have not read it yet, you should. I came up with a theory, and I would like some feedback.

Either that or they were just mixed out for the session leak for whatever reason

My guess is that those synth drums were overdubbed later.

• 3 weeks later...

Jason, I'd like to say thanks for that spreadsheet - and thanks to everyone who contributed info to this thread. I just finally got around to doing my Minority Report edit over the weekend, and it was super helpful!

No problem, any time. FYI I just updated the spreadsheet a tiny bit, I bolded the two tracks on the OST that contain music not in the sessions, and noted that the OST version of the factory chase contains the electronics that are not in the sessions version.

From watching the film I had always thought that the end credits just tracked pieces from over the film - given JW's "track record" since say, The Last Crusade, but having checked it now I can say that, at least for the Spyders part (so probably for the rest too, though I haven't checked), it's a different performance.

I can straighten the following thing out in the meantime:

8m1 is not the first half of "A New Beginning" on the OST; it's a different performance.

"A New Beginning" on the OST is entirely tracked, from the end credits, 3:30-end.

"A New Beginning" (OST) also contains a tracked piece, from 2:26-2:52, from previously within the same cue (1:19-1:45), hence why it appears longer. The cut at 2:52 gives it away easily.

In other words - you don't need the OST's "A New Beginning" at all.

Wow, I'm surprised no one figured that out before! Thanks for the info.

So you're saying the OST track 16 "A New Beginning" is nothing more than the second half of OST Track 1 "Minority Report" repeated again, with a portion of it looped to boot?

WHY does JW do this???

~~

Also, I get what you are saying now about the end credits.... there is no sheet music for it, so you're right, they likely strung together pages from other cues and re-recorded it them together as the end credits piece, rather than writing an original end credits arrangement. Interesting.

So you're saying the OST track 16 "A New Beginning" is nothing more than the second half of OST Track 1 "Minority Report" repeated again, with a portion of it looped to boot?

Yep.

Also, I get what you are saying now about the end credits.... there is no sheet music for it, so you're right, they likely strung together pages from other cues and re-recorded it them together as the end credits piece, rather than writing an original end credits arrangement. Interesting.

Indeed, that's what I always thought when I watched the end credits. But the track is in the rec.sessions boot though, which would supposedly be not the case if it'd be editorially created. I think JW put his heart into the second half of the end credits, and perhaps the opening, and rerecorded parts of other cues as a sort of highlight real.

By the way, the opening of the rec. sessions track doesn't entirely seem to match the OST's opening of track 1.

By the way, the opening of the rec. sessions track doesn't entirely seem to match the OST's opening of track 1.

Yes, I believe that was mentioned somewhere is this thread somewhere, or another MR thread.

A couple of final remarks on my part:

- Concerning the End Credits: the intro is in fact exactly the same on the album vs the bootleg, except for those two synth 'bleebs' that are added or tracked on the OST: the recording sessions have two, the OST have four.

- A couple of the micro-edits are not worth reinstating.

- In the film, the ending of "Crow's Hotel Room" is unused, and "Last Scene with Crow" begins sooner than that previous cue would have played. It might be a sort of alternate section, but presumably the film got edited down a bit.

- There are indeed various mixes for a couple of cues (recording sessions vs album), most notably the few cues with the Annie Lively motif, but the differences are usually really negligible - it's not worth putting them as a different mix in your playlist, in my opinion.

These are the ones which I thought were worth saving:

- Agatha Springs Forward: recording sessions don't have the vocal

- Anderton's Escape: no synths on the recording sessions track

- Agatha Sees All: on the album, the vocal is mixed much lower; the recording sessions track is more interesting

(- The Man in the Window: a very slightly different mix: the percussion is different, but then again there's also compression on the bootleg, and since the OST track is incomplete, it's difficult to make a more complete version of it. I haven't put it in my tracklist myself.)

That's it (besides the two alternates of course, Image of Sean and A New Beginning); the rest of them aren't worth the bother I'd say, and are merely repeats. To give an example, "Saving the Eyeball" has a slightly different mix of the vocal into the orchestral track (cuts in a second sooner too), but the difference is negligible, especially considering the much superior audio quality of the soundtrack.

- Concerning the End Credits: the intro is in fact exactly the same on the album vs the bootleg, except for those two synth 'bleebs' that are added or tracked on the OST: the recording sessions have two, the OST have four.

Aha!