Minority Report Complete Score Discussion (Rebuilding the filmographies section of the main page - Week 1)

Jay

Fommes, is the "alternate" version of A New Beginning that you're referring to the piano version?

For my edit, I chose to use the OST version of Man in the Window, and edit the extra material onto the beginning and end. In spite of the different-sounding percussion between the two sources, I was happy enough with how it turned out. That long percussive ending is a pretty unique moment in the score.

Fommes, is the "alternate" version of A New Beginning that you're referring to the piano version?

Yes. It's called Piano Version on the sheet music, and Sean's Theme on the OST.

Ok, let me make sure I've got this right:

- 8m1 in the sessions leak is the cue written for and used in the film

- 8m1 Alt is an alternate version of that cue, with piano, and...

- The second half of 8m2 is an expanded arrangement of 8m1?

For my edit, I chose to use the OST version of Man in the Window, and edit the extra material onto the beginning and end. In spite of the different-sounding percussion between the two sources, I was happy enough with how it turned out. That long percussive ending is a pretty unique moment in the score.

Yeah originally I wanted to just use the OST and tag on the ending from the sessions, but the shift in quality and mix in the percussion was a bit too great for my liking - unfortunate, as I like the OST's version more.

- 8m1 in the sessions leak is the cue written for and used in the film

- 8m1 Alt is an alternate version of that cue, with piano, and...

- The second half of 8m2 is an expanded arrangement of 8m1?

Yes. You could try and lign up the alternate 'piano version' 8m1 to the film, it's a perfect fit, and I think it would have been better.

By the way, in the film, this alternate is in fact 'tracked' into the very beginning of the end credits, so it comes right after 8m1. But that's something I've always found a bit jarring, actually.

8m2 indeed contains an expanded arrangement & a different performance.

• 4 years later...

Just been getting into this wonderful score and my only question: were the source cues recorded alongside the rest of the score by Williams? Specifically, Schubert's Unfinished symphony? In my opinion, they are crucial to the complete listening experience of the film's score, even if they aren't Williams compositions.

I'm assuming not, given their absence from the session leaks.

Are there details of the exact recordings the filmmakers used?

This is one of my absolute favorite Williams scores!

Reading through this thread, I see that apparently the sessions leaked like 5 years ago and I didn't even know it.  Excuse me, ahem, I need to go see a man about a horse.  BRB

On 7/27/2017 at 11:33 AM, Disco Stu said:

I have the Harry Potterses.

The real question is, how many can I find?  But obviously that is not a question for this forum...

I just want Memoirs and Tintin to leak already.  I assume anything from the 70s-90s will be covered my Mike M at some point, but who knows when they'll get around to his 2000s and 2010s scores!

On 7/27/2017 at 11:33 AM, Richard said:

Who leaks them, how, and why?

I don't think JW is some kind of special case; most other prolofic composers have had way more session leaks than he has!

I think basically, someone who worked on the film gives the music to a friend, who gives it to a friend, who gives it to a friend...

Or more recently:  Hacking.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

These John Williams scores have all had their recording sessions leak publicly:

• Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Haven't heard of, and can't find anything about the Last Crusade, when did that leak? I'd give half my limbs for the film version of the Timpani Overdub of Königgrätzer!

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The real question is, how many can I find?  But obviously that is not a question for this forum...

If you, erm, find that you need any help discussing certain parts of that question, feel free to shoot me a PM and I possibly might be able to try and help you, um, discuss it.  

11 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm listening to the complete Minority Report score :ph34r:

I appreciate the effort you went to which enabled me to also obtain it. 

:drunk:

In the film, is the middle section of 6M1 Crow's Hotel Room tracked into the climax as John almost shoots Crow (so before 6M2 Last Scene With Crow begins)?

Was that meant to be unscored in the final film? 6M1 seems to finish with the music that accompanies John learning Sean's "fate" and 6M2 begins after he's decided not to kill Crow.

On 7/28/2017 at 1:03 AM, hornist said:

Also now I understand that someone likes Indy4, if one has heard some extra music. The ost is bad.

I didn't chance my mind about the score, even listening to more music from it.

• 5 months later...
On 7/27/2017 at 6:56 AM, crumbs said:

Just been getting into this wonderful score and my only question: were the source cues recorded alongside the rest of the score by Williams? Specifically, Schubert's Unfinished symphony? In my opinion, they are crucial to the complete listening experience of the film's score, even if they aren't Williams compositions.

I'm assuming not, given their absence from the session leaks.

Are there details of the exact recordings the filmmakers used?

Just saw your question, here are the recordings used in the film for the classical pieces:

I only just discovered the sessions, which amazes me, since I spent so many hours at the time the film came out figuring out where the album cues went and where all the source cues came from, going as far as calling Fox Music to clarify exactly which recordings of "Moon River" were used.

Anyway, I thought it was really interesting to hear the cue "Anderton in Halo," because it is the score for a scene deleted at the VERY last minute. After being put in containment, Anderton had a fantasy conversation with the nine-year-old version of his son Sean, played by Spencer Treat Clark from Gladiator. It's a moving scene, assuming they filmed it as it is in the shooting script. I can only assume it slowed the film down that late. The scene was deleted so late that the credits had already been finalized, and I remember the release prints of the film had "Spencer Treat Clark - Sean at Nine" listed in them at the end. Since Spielberg doesn't believe in sharing deleted scenes (except the ones on CE3K), I suppose this music and the script pages are as close as we'll ever get to seeing that deleted scene, like the big "Camelot" action sequence deleted from WOTW,

3 hours ago, jamesluckard said:

Since Spielberg doesn't believe in sharing deleted scenes (except the ones on CE3K),

He released deleted scenes for Jaws and Indiana Jones as well, and created extended cuts of 1941 at ET.  Basically only Color Purple forward he stopped releasing deleted scenes (which is a damn shame IMO)

Right I forgot about The Lost World - he ever released a TV cut that incorporated the scenes back in

4 hours ago, Richard said:

I'd love to see EOTS with "The Eurasian" scenes put back in.

Which scenes are those? I read the shooting script ages ago, but I can't remember that. I know MIranda Richardson had her role almost completely cut from the finished film.

I seem to remember that an entire character called The Eurasian, played either by David Yip, or Ric Young, was cut from the film. 

Roberts Stephens' character was, also, cut down to virtually nothing.

I've no idea how much Leslie Phillips' character was cut.

I didn't know about Miranda Richardson.

23 minutes ago, Richard said:

I seem to remember that an entire character called The Eurasian, played either by David Yip, or Ric Young, was cut from the film. 

Roberts Stephens' character was, also, cut down to virtually nothing.

I've no idea how much Leslie Phillips' character was cut.

I didn't know about Miranda Richardson.

Do you remember where in the film this character of The Eurasian was supposed to have appeared? I'll check the shooting script I have. It's 160 pages long, which must have resulted in a first cut well over three hours.

There's probably a bucketload of deleted scenes from Schindler's List, too. Would be interesting to watch but they'll never see the light of day. And Munich had that deleted subplot with Avner's father. They supposedly shot scenes between Avner and his dad in prison that all got cut.

37 minutes ago, crumbs said:

There's probably a bucketload of deleted scenes from Schindler's List, too. Would be interesting to watch but they'll never see the light of day. And Munich had that deleted subplot with Avner's father. They supposedly shot scenes between Avner and his dad in prison that all got cut.

Yep, I remember reading there's a HUGE amount of material that was cut from Schindler's List, I think the first cut ran like 4 hours. Many scenes were cut from the portion towards the end in Czechoslovakia, including a scene in which

Spoiler

they discover cattlecars full of corpses of people left to freeze to death.

I don't know about a subplot with Avner's father though, I read the shooting script for Munich ages ago and I don't think I remember those scenes.

9 hours ago, jamesluckard said:

Do you remember where in the film this character of The Eurasian was supposed to have appeared? I'll check the shooting script I have. It's 160 pages long, which must have resulted in a first cut well over three hours.

I'm afraid I don't. I can only assume that it's at the Christmas party.

7 hours ago, jamesluckard said:

Yep, I remember reading there's a HUGE amount of material that was cut from Schindler's List, I think the first cut ran like 4 hours. Many scenes were cut from the portion towards the end in Czechoslovakia, including a scene in which

Reveal hidden contents

I've read about the scene between Schindler and Goeth, dubbed  the Cincinnati Kid scene, where they play cards for Goeth's maid.

22 hours ago, Richard said:

I'm afraid I don't. I can only assume that it's at the Christmas party.

I found the scene you're talking about in the shooting script. It's a one page scene at the stadium, right after the atomic bomb goes off and Mrs. Victor dies. The Eurasian is a character from the book, I googled it. The scene is similar in the book and the shooting script. He tries to steal Jim's shoes, and then tells Jim about the atomic bomb and the Japanese surrender.

Spielberg must have decided to cut The Eurasian scene while they were still shooting in Spain, because it is replaced in the finished film with an unscripted, impressionistic scene of Jim wandering through an abandoned Japanese post that's being looted by starving Chinese soldiers. This new scene conveys the exact same information as the scripted Eurasian scene - Jim learns about the atom bomb and Japanese surrender, only now from a radio playing in the background. This leads to Jim's line (delivered to The Eurasian in the shooting script) that he saw the bomb and thought it was Mrs. Victor's soul going up to heaven. (That beautiful line is Stoppard's invention, it's not in the book.)