My new blog

cjh791982

Hi everyone,

I started a new blog about film scores, mainly devoted to classic scores and their composers, but at the same time, I'll be giving attention to my opinions on film scores in general and trends within the industry itself. Here's the address:

http://thehollywoodsound.blogspot.com

I do have a question, though, and it pertains to reviews of film scores. A lot of the stuff I have in my collection is from films that I really haven't had an opportunity to see. I tried asking this on the FSM forum but I didn't get any responses, so I figured I'll try it here, and forgive me if this sounds odd: is it possible to write a review of a film score based solely on the music itself, without having watched the film? By this, I mean, reviewing it based on such factors as performance (particularly in regards to re-recordings), or sound quality, or based on its reputation if it's a well-known score? I did write an article about a film score I liked, with a synopsis of the film itself and comments on the score as well, but mainly as an appreciation of the film score itself. I'm just wondering. Anyway, I look forward to hearing what you all have to say on this. Thanks.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You will then only be able to review existing soundtrack album releases. Sadly they often omit a substantial amount of score. So in that cases the OST release isn't

representative of the whole score heard in the film. That will create problems with your reviews.

If you have a truly complete album release (like Superman FSM Blue Box) then an objective review will be possible even without having seen the film.

Although there is another flaw in reviewing without having seen the movie: Sometimes music works perfectly well in the film but sucks when heard without the pictures. So a bad review of only the music doesn't mean it sucks in the film.

I think what I might do, rather than a critical review of the score itself, and again, forgive me if this sounds odd, but I may end up writing why I appreciate the score itself, what drove me to appreciate it, etc. I think where I may be more critical is on some re-recordings, particularly of well-known scores, because the original performance is so identified with the film itself, and a lot of people are always critical of re-recordings because they never match the original tempo, or because of missed notes, etc. I do know that I can only review existing scores, but basically what I write will be generally an appreciation of the score itself, rather than a critical review for someone who wants to buy them, which can be found elsewhere. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm trying to write something a bit deeper than just a review targeted for potential buyers. Thanks, though.

What it comes down to is if you want to review the scores as music, or as film music. I have no problem enjoying film music on it's own without ever having seen the film, and it seems that you feel the same. That's enjoying it from a musical standpoint, which I think you should make clear in your reviews.

If you want to review it from the standpoint of music for film, it would be wise to view the movie.

Joe,

That's right. Most of the time I enjoy this kind of music away from the films that they're associated with, and appreciate them solely as music, but in some cases, such as some of the films that JW has scored, like Jaws, Black Sunday, E.T., and the disaster films he scored during the '70s, I have seen them many times before, and I feel that the music for those films adds to the effectiveness of the total experience. I have seen other films, scored by other composers, that I own the soundtracks to, and many times hearing the music in those films led me to try to seek out the scores themselves when available, but most of the time, I appreciate the music by itself.