Official Danny Elfman Thread

Jay

I was reading these reviews of all the Superman and Batman scores over at http://entjunkie.blogspot.ie/2016/03/a-brief-history-of-batman-and-superman.html.

He mentions Elfman's Batman theme is very similar to Herrman's Journey To The Center of The Earth. I never heard this comparison before so I checked it out at 0:47 in the video below, and I was like, holy shit!!!

That's a comparison that people have been making for years. It's not terribly similar structurally, IMO, but I wouldn't be surprised if the "tonal similarities" in the build-up stem from Elfman's fascination for Herrmann on a subconscious level. I don't think he's commented on it, though.

Not sure it's any more similar than a lot of things film composers get accused of stealing.  Certainly Elfman's love of Herrmann and knowledge of his music doesn't help his case.

• 1 month later...

Danny Elfman's ballet score for Twyla Tharp's "Rabbit & Rogue" is going to be released on CD on June 7 by Sony Classical:

http://filmmusicreporter.com/2016/05/23/sony-classical-to-release-danny-elfmans-rabbit-rogue-ballet-score/

Nice!

Been looking forward to this for several years now. There's still a bunch of unreleased non-film/TV work by Elfman, but this fills an important hole.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, the album is out (albeit only digitally so far).

I love it! Kind of a continuation of Serenada Schizophrana (lots of Prokofiev here too!), unmistakably Elfman from top to bottom. There is plenty to enjoy. Listen to it whenever you can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Supposedly a physical CD of Rabbit and Rogue is coming along with a 5.1 DVD release, but that was rumored a while ago and nothing yet

6 hours ago, Jay said:

My favourite Elfman sound these days is the textural stuff for smaller films (I can't take 90% of his big, symphonic blockbuster scores), so in theory this should be right up my alley. However, I was not particularly impressed by the samples. They seemed to meander needlessly. But I'll await final judgement untill I've heard the whole thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Indeed. It's the kind of crap lazy student composers with a bunch of MIDI presets would come up with. 

You'd think Elfman would have a more inspired sense of humour.

Right. I was expecting something old-school Elfman style, like "March of the Dead". That'd be funny, with the right footage!

That was terrible. Just think, the guy who scored that piece of crap probably got me into film scores when I watched Pee-Wee and Batman as a kid. And he thinks Batman is overrated these days. What an idiot.

Posted this in Other Topics but will repost here for people who don't check there (I don't blame you)

Interview about the Funny or Die video and the election in general

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/danny-elfman-his-funny-die-938551

Great move from Elfman and Richard Kraft (I've made sure to share it on several social media)! Loved that video and his 'mickey-mousey' horror cue -- like when Trump leans on the chair.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a nice interview with Elfman about the Nightmare Before Christmas concerts that just took place in LA, and the longevity of the movie.

http://time.com/4535789/danny-elfman-nightmare-before-christmas-live/

Besides Jack Skellington, have you ever played another character in a movie you’ve scored?

No, never.

Um, actually Danny

/pushes glasses up on nose

You played the devil in Forbidden Zone and you played Mr. Bonejangles in Corpse Bride.

/snorts

And here's a review - with a mention that, as an encore, Elfman reunited with Oingo Boingo to play Dead Man's Party!!!!

http://dailybruin.com/2016/10/30/concert-review-live-screening-of-the-nightmare-before-christmas-at-the-hollywood-bowl/

Well, depend on your definition of "character."  If I recall correctly, in Corpse Bride, the character was only voiced for "Remains of the Day," and didn't really impact the plot

I'm more interested in the fact the Boingo was together onstage for the first time since I was 10 years old.  Can't believe I hadn't heard more about this.  I wonder who was in the lineup.  Hopefully video exists.

2 hours ago, mstrox said:

And here's a review - with a mention that, as an encore, Elfman reunited with Oingo Boingo to play Dead Man's Party!!!!

http://dailybruin.com/2016/10/30/concert-review-live-screening-of-the-nightmare-before-christmas-at-the-hollywood-bowl/

He did that on last year's Halloween show too, which was -- in fact -- the 20th anniversary to the day of when he played his final gig with Boingo. But last year was only with Steve Bartek on stage. The article seems to suggest all the band members were joining this time, but according to the videos I've seen on Youtube, it's "only" Steve Bartek again. No Avila, Hernandez etc. So no reunion.

On 10/14/2016 at 8:57 PM, Selina Kyle said:

That was terrible. Just think, the guy who scored that piece of crap probably got me into film scores when I watched Pee-Wee and Batman as a kid. And he thinks Batman is overrated these days. What an idiot.

He would do another Batman film if a director he wants to work with asked him.

This is the guy that came up with two different Pee-Wee themes, after all.

• 4 months later...
On 10/15/2016 at 2:57 AM, Rose Dawson said:

Batman is one of the most overrated scores of the 80's. Back To The Future is another.

If people look at Batman as an unrivaled masterpiece, then yes, it's overrated.  But it's still a terrific score and mostly worthy of its praise.  It does not fit in the same conversation as Back to the Future in my opinion.

Anyone is free to think that anything lauded is overrated. I do it all the time. But in my opinion, both BATMAN and BTTF pass the 'undisputed masterpiece' test with flying colours!

Elfman is the recipient of the Max Steiner Award in Vienna later this year, and I really hope I'll be able to go.