Jay

Official Danny Elfman Thread

4 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

I was so busy, I did not get a chance to hear the Elfman concerto before the video was erased. :(

Oh well, more waiting then.

@Will, I did listen to the ballet.  Some very good stuff in there.  Nice lyrical writing, and interesting use of instruments, notably saxaphone.  Not all that enthused with some of the electronic stuff.  Just does not mesh too well with the rest, for me. 

Hmm, interesting. I have to say I didn't even really consciously notice the electronics! So clearly thought they meshed well. ;)

But I can't remember if it took multiple listens to truly enjoy. The reason I'm so enthused with this score, I think, is the lyrical, almost fairy-tale joy it evokes. 

I managed to download the video in mp3 format before it was erased. Lucky me, I guess. But I'll obviously delete that once the real deal gets released. I still haven't sat down to listen to the whole thing; I only listened to the "HULK quote" at about the 10-minute mark.

12 hours ago, Will said:

The reason I'm so enthused with this score, I think, is the lyrical, almost fairy-tale joy it evokes.

Ah, yes, it has that in spades.

Funnily enough, I was reminded of Horner a bit in places.

Looks like a great release, and I will be buying it, but it's a shame they didn't also include some of his other unreleased concert works when they had the chance, like "Overeager Overture" or "Piano Concerto 1 1/2".