Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (directed by Brad Bird, music by Michael Giacchino)

Jay

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Check out the trailer for Mission: Impossible 4. Looks pretty good

http://www.deadline.com/2011/06/hot-trailer-mission-impossible-4/

Yep, looks good !

Here is a short "analysis" of the trailer. I hope these guys are wrong about Josh Holloway's character, but I'm afraid they're right.

Am I the only person worried about the choice of music in this trailer? It makes it feel more like McG or Jerry Brukheimer movie than old-fashioned Brad Bird.

Karol

I'm sure Brad Bird didn't have a lot of creative control over the trailer

• 2 weeks later...

Bad trailer. It's mostly just flashes of things moving rapidly across the screen, set to some awful Eminem song. Blegh.

I'm still interested in this picture though, mainly because of Brad Bird.

The good action movie trailers just have a bunch of flashes of guns blazing, things exploding let to loud music and sound effects!

You don't know what the hell happened, but you want more of it!

That's why Transformers is doing so well. It's exactly like a trailer, but more then 2 hours long, so people have to pay to see it!

Anyone else notice Facebook wall posts by "friends" recently which say something along the lines of, "just watched Transformers 3. OMG it was AMAAAAAAZING!!!"

The last one I read was by a female in her late twenties.

Lee - who deleted his FB account last week.

Bad trailer. It's mostly just flashes of things moving rapidly across the screen, set to some awful Eminem song. Blegh.

that's why I posted the Japanese version!

Anyone else notice Facebook wall posts by "friends" recently which say something along the lines of, "just watched Transformers 3. OMG it was AMAAAAAAZING!!!"

I don't have those kind of friends on Facebook.

Most of the people I have on there have good tastes.

I don't have those kind of friends on Facebook.

Most of the people I have on there have good tastes.

I had a cull a few months ago and wiped out about 150 people off my friends list. It was brutal. Left me with about 80 people who are mainly family (I have a HUGE family due to the fact my Nan had 11 children). The girl who said that about Transformers was an old friend and sexual acquaintance who I kept on there for strategic purposes.

Nothing to do with why I deleted my account, though. I did that because of FB's latest creepy plot to snoop on peoples' surfing habits outside of FB. Their 'social plugin' which I'm seeing more and more on various websites automatically 'shares' the visit to a given website to your Facebook newsfeed - unless you manually untick the box each and everytime you encounter the plugin - there is no option in FB's privacy settings to disable that functionality, at least here in England. I don't appreciate that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So last November there was a charity auction where the winner could go to one of the scoring sessions for M:I:4. My brother and I won that auction and I just got back from the session. Got to meet Giacchino and Brad Bird, as well as some of the sound crew and musicians, all of whom were lovely people. I'm not going to give any specifics about the score other than I was happy with what I heard :)

The theme sounded good!

So last November there was a charity auction where the winner could go to one of the scoring sessions for M:I:4. My brother and I won that auction and I just got back from the session. Got to meet Giacchino and Brad Bird, as well as some of the sound crew and musicians, all of whom were lovely people. I'm not going to give any specifics about the score other than I was happy with what I heard :)

The theme sounded good!

You lucky bastard! I assume the auction went above the price you paid for the Medal of Honor CD? ;)

Can't you tell anything more? Like, if it's better or worse than M:I III? Same themes, or totally different score?

Did you get to have any conversation with Giacchino or Bird, or just kinda shake their hands and say a few words?

I'm guessing that I only heard, at most, 20 minutes of the score so I don't know if I could really say if I thought this one is better or not (it sounded great!). I grew to really like his score to MI3 so I came in expecting that to like this one. If you liked 3, you'll like 4.

Michael actually introduced us to Bird and we shook his hand. That, and receiving a poster signed by him and Michael, was the extent of our meeting with him but it was pretty clear that he had a lot more things on his mind and we didn't want to bother him. Michael, though, was great and we had a couple of cool conversations. I'll say that one thing I asked was about the similarity between the military's theme from Super 8 and the one from SWON (it was intentional.) He'd always liked that theme from SWON and wanted to use it in a film setting. This was followed by like two minutes of geeking out over the themes he sneaks into his scores.

And yes, this thing easily dwarfed what I paid for that CD.

I grew to really like his score to MI3 so I came in expecting that to like this one. If you liked 3, you'll like 4.

I've got mixed feelings about the third one: I like half of it very, very much, but some pieces I find a bit sterile and annoying (mainly some of the action cues - the loud ones with the same motif over and over without going anywhere). So I was hoping the new one would go into the musical direction of the heist sequence in Italy, the car chase in Shanghai, or the Hunting for Jules track, and less of the helicopter chase and the like.

Did you recognize any motifs from the previous one?

I also want to say that it's probably the dream for a lot of us to attend a film scoring session and for me, it was a magical experience. The sound booth probably had the most amazing sound system I've ever heard, but hearing the orchestra in person was something else, and everyone was so incredibly nice. I got to meet a couple of the players, including Emil, the percussionist, who said that the first score he played on was The Diary of Anne Frank.

Michael isn't kidding when he says that both the orchestra and the people he works with are like a family to him, because that's what it feels like when you're there.

I grew to really like his score to MI3 so I came in expecting that to like this one. If you liked 3, you'll like 4.

I've got mixed feelings about the third one: I like half of it very, very much, but some pieces I find a bit sterile and annoying (mainly some of the action cues - the loud ones with the same motif over and over without going anywhere). So I was hoping the new one would go into the musical direction of the heist sequence in Italy, the car chase in Shanghai, or the Hunting for Jules track, and less of the helicopter chase and the like.

Again, I didn't hear enough to say either way, but I think you'll be happy.

Did you recognize any motifs from the previous one?

Yes.

Nice. Is the score being recorded at Newman Scoring Stage or Sony?

... I can't imagine Eastwood being used, unless the music budget was slashed significantly.

I'm guessing that I only heard, at most, 20 minutes of the score so I don't know if I could really say if I thought this one is better or not (it sounded great!).

Why not?

People judge 90 minute scores based on only a handful of 30 second samples, you know.

So why are you playing the moralist here?

;)

Nice. Is the score being recorded at Newman Scoring Stage or Sony?

... I can't imagine Eastwood being used, unless the music budget was slashed significantly.

Newman.

• 4 weeks later...

Meh. I'm sure the action scenes will be good but the plot doesn't seem compelling.

And for the first time, Tom Cruise actually looks OLD.

Too much videogame style to my taste. Not interested. It can't be better than MI:2 anyway.

AFter watching the second trailer I think it might be ok. We'll see.