John Williams "The Secret Ways"

Great stuff. I once had a crappy mp3 with the Main Title several years ago, but I lost it during some back-up.

The string ostinato in the opening music seems to hint at "Duel of the Fates" almost 40 years before that.

Great stuff. I once had a crappy mp3 with the Main Title several years ago, but I lost it during some back-up.

The string ostinato in the opening music seems to hint at "Duel of the Fates" almost 40 years before that.

I can actually hear some faint echoes of this in the darker and more mysterious sections of the Cowboys. Perhaps nothing as heavily ethnic as zither but the suspence style has hints of The Secret Ways to my ears.

Hey has anyone saved these as mp3 files only and was able to upgrade the audio a bit?

Yes, I saved them as mp3, but have no idea how to upgrade the sound quality.

The 'main titles' that I previously owned had better sound quality, though.

Cool .This is the type of thing You Tube should be made for

Unfortunately only a matter of time before someone removes this on copyright grounds

Awesome. I previously only had the main titles for this. I have tried to find the film too, but to no avail!

I replied to you by pm! :)

Althouh all those youtube videos with the rare wiliams scores are great, they had a bad quality bacause I think as it seems he uses external recording so you hear the ambience of the room too..

• 5 years later...

It is indeed. The first "serious" film score that he did. When I do lectures on Williams these days, I always play the string ostinato from THE PHANTOM MENACE followed by the similar ostinato from the main theme of SECRET WAYS to make a connection across decades.

The film is quite OK  as well -- although it's trying hard to be a new THE THIRD MAN.

• 2 months later...

Listening to my audio rip "album" of this score again. It's quite good -- his first serious score for what I think is quite a decent film, actually. A pain in the ass to listen to all the sound effects and dialogue, of course, but that's all there is. The fantastic "Main Titles" is really the only place where Williams gets to shine. Some of the "French-sounding" boulevard instrumentation is nice too -- even though the film takes place in Vienna.

I wonder if any label has ever attempted to look into this? Does anyone know?

Sorry about that -- didn't mean to trigger unwarranted expectations!

But I like to wallow around in Williams' early years.

Actually, I've now started another 'complete walkthrough' of Williams' work -- listening to all of his film scores from start to finish. I only had individual tracks from DADDY-O, BECAUSE THEY'RE YOUNG and I PASSED FOR WHITE, but this is the first that has an "album", of sorts. Next in line is a PROPER album, however - BACHELOR FLAT!

As previously mentioned, the string ostinato bears some resemblance to the similar ostinato in "Duel of the Fates". Is that what you're thinking about?

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

You can watch the entire film here.

The Main Titles are bangin! And he even wrote a cool fanfare for the Universal logo, based on the score's primary theme:

Why doesn't JW want these early Universal scores released?

It would be great to hear an update on the status of the elements for this score, given Universal's and LLL's efforts to preserve older scores in the heritage collection.

Maybe a question for Mike in a future podcast, @TownerFan?

He said in the Disaster Box podcast two years ago that he had no information about the status of the Secret Ways tapes, which is concerning (he named the other Universal scores which have been located and transferred for safekeeping, even if JW doesn't want them released). 

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

He said in the Disaster Box podcast two years ago that he had no information about the status of the Secret Ways tapes, which is concerning (he named the other Universal scores which have been located and transferred for safekeeping, even if JW doesn't want them released). 

I didn't know that. That's concerning, but at least 'no information' is better than a confirmation that they've been lost or destroyed.

2 hours ago, Thor said:

I didn't know that. That's concerning, but at least 'no information' is better than a confirmation that they've been lost or destroyed.

Mike's exact words:

"Well, The Secret Ways would be very, very early... and I don't, in fact, know if anything exists on it. That was maybe... '61, or something? But yeah, The Rare Breed we have had transferred, and the Story of a Woman. Those were two that Intrada was going to do and went to John and, uh, he said no. I don't think that's a permanent no but, at least at that time, he did not want them to proceed, so... but I think eventually they'll come around."

So things sound a bit grim. But it's unclear if Mike has even asked Universal to check whether the tapes exist in their archive.

That the film was remastered for Bluray less than a year ago (more recent than Mike's comments) would indicate someone went searching for film elements... fingers crossed scoring elements were also found in that process.

Would be great to get an update from Mike though, I always worry about these older scores. Don't care if a release is in the works or not; I'd just sleep easier knowing the music is preserved and won't be lost (like Jane Eyre and Images).

If I'd had access to Mike, I'd simply say a title of an unreleased Williams score and let him tell us the release situation. Like "DADDY-O.....go!", "GIDGET GOES TO ROME....go!" etc. Someone should do a podcast like that. Only focussing on the unreleased stuff, screw the expanded versions and all that.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess this movie is a pretty important milestone in JW's career.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think The Secret Ways is his first all original non-B-movie major studio picture.  Because They're Young, being a Columbia production, is technically his first "non-B movie major studio picture" but from what I've heard the score is largely adapting a song that JW did not write himself. 

Prior to The Secret Ways (1961), only 3 theatrical films had a score by JW

Daddy-O (1958)
I Passed For White (1960)
Because They're Young (1960)

I have no idea how much of the Because They're Young's score is adapted from an existed song, but if it's a significant amount then sure, The Secret Ways is what you say

I just skipped around Because They're Young on Youtube and listened to the non-Williams song last night.  Didn't listen to every cue but the ones I heard were based on the song mostly.  Now that said, the arrangements JW did for the song are pretty neat, very "of its time" in an interesting way.

There is actually plenty of dramatic underscore in BECAUSE THEY'RE YOUNG, not just variations of the song. There's a nice cue for an interior house scene, and a chase cue, for example, off the top of my head.

Btw, the song became a big, Shadows-like instrumental hit with Duane Eddy and the Rebels, it wasn't just an obscure affair.