LOTR Complete Recordings Out Of Print? Being Reissued?

Trent Hoyt

7 minutes ago, Fal said:

My wave editor is ready!

I will help you to bear this burden, Fal Editor, as long as it is yours to bear.

fotr0834.jpg

2 hours ago, Jim Ware said:

There are a few that weren't used!

Battle stations!

Confirmed unreleased Middle-earth music!

Doug has much to answer for!

• 1 month later...

They are out of print so there is no way to buy them cheap anywhere.  Scalpers are in control now.

The only way to legally listen to these releases if you don't have them is give someone huge amounts of money to get your own physical copy.  That's just the way it is.

Depending on your own morals, you can choose to just download rips of them to listen now and vow to pay for them when they are re-issued.

I believe they retailed for $70 each when they first came out, but someone might remember better than I.

Doug has mentioned that he had reviewed the booklet for a reprint, but that it was held up by legal issues.  Since there was a fairly recent legal resolution with the Tolkien family, I'm hopeful that the gears are greased and we'll see this sooner rather than later.

I believe the original releases were $55-65 (ROTK had an extra disc)

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Please don't put words in my mouth that is not what I said

And don't put a word like "apple" in his mouth too, we now know he's allergic.

"Depending on your morals" gets you out of recommending it out right, that's true. :sarcasm:

I don't think even Howard Shore himself would want someone to give a scalper hundreds of dollars/euros/whatever for these releases though.

I think its clear that Howard and Doug want this music to be available to everyone again, but some lawyers from whatever conglomerate say otherwise for now

3 hours ago, Jay said:

I think its clear that Howard and Doug want this music to be available to everyone again, but some lawyers from whatever conglomerate say otherwise for now

Those lawyers are probably the same guys selling sealed copies for $10,000 on eBay.

For the OSTs its worth tracking down the Limited Edition versions over the regular jewel case versions, especially for TTT and ROTK since TTT has an extra cue and ROTK has a bonus DVD.  However, two TTT cues were actually shortened to make room for the bonus cue, so you might want the normal version of that to be complete.  And if you have that one, you might as well get all three I say :P

1 hour ago, Jay said:

However, two TTT cues were actually shortened to make room for the bonus cue, so you might want the normal version of that to be complete. 

Which two cues were those? I have the Two Towers OST with the bonus track ('Farewell to Lorien'), so I'm just curious as to which songs were shortened.

John, please don't refer to film score tracks as songs!!!

The Uruk-Hai and The Black Gate Is Closed are shortened.

Anyhow, it's worthwhile to have the Original Soundtrack around, as well as the Complete Recordings. Lots of alternates, a different mix for choir and special instruments (which I prefer) and also just as an abbreviated and "concertized" (and very well constructed, at that) experience of the soundtrack, when you don't have the time or desire to sit through the whole thing.

I pre-ordered all of these from Amazon when they were originally released, and checking my order history, for Fellowship, Towers and Return I paid (USD) 47.96, 60.99 and 59.99 respectively.

I still have them all in excellent condition, and will accept all unreasonable (i.e. confiscatory) offers. Let the bidding mania commence!

1 minute ago, Holko said:

Yes, knowing the CRs almost inside and out, listening to the OSTs was a breath of fresh air! There are some arrangements that I actually prefer over the film version, which is completely unheard of for me. The Fields of Pelennor, for example.

Yes, knowing the CRs almost inside and out, listening to the OSTs was a breath of fresh air! There are some arrangements that I actually prefer over the film version, which is completely unheard of for me. The Fields of Pelenn, for example.

You can say that again!

14 hours ago, Jay said:

For the OSTs its worth tracking down the Limited Edition versions over the regular jewel case versions, especially for TTT and ROTK since TTT has an extra cue and ROTK has a bonus DVD.  However, two TTT cues were actually shortened to make room for the bonus cue, so you might want the normal version of that to be complete.  And if you have that one, you might as well get all three I say :P

Then there was the "Internet Edition" of the Limited Edition (for TTT and ROTK). Same music, but came with crappy enhanced CD content, trading cards and most interestingly a different colour scheme for the covers.  Those are also quite rare, but somewhat cheaper than the EE's on the second hand market.  Interestingly, the website for these editions is still active, complete with (non-working) order links. 

51 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Many of us are only posting on JWFan so that we don't have to see cues/tracks referred to as songs.

Well, in the case of The Lord of the Rings, due to Shore's use of the choir, many of them are songs. Kind of.

Think about The Prophecy, for instance.

Yea, that's obvious. What I meant is that, because there is so much singing in the underscore, a lot of tracks are songs, in a way.

15 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I See Fire is the best of the Hobbit end credit songs though.

It's alright.

I really like The Last Goodybe. As with Billy's "Edge of Night", it fits well into Shore's celtic vibe for the Hobbits, and Victoria Kelly's orchestrations really ground it in the sound-world of the Shire.

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Its too sentimental. It almost beggs people to become teary eyed over it.

Which is what I like about it!

The movie is a somber one, so it fits.

Films (and, by extension, film scores) are about sentimentality.

"Except for the other two"

You don't think it is better than "Song of the Lonely Mountain"?

I mean, yeah, "Song of the Lonely Mountain" at least uses a melody from the score (which, to me, is its saving grace) but I still feel "I See Fire" is less "anachronistic", as it were.