LOTR Complete Recordings Out Of Print? Being Reissued?

Trent Hoyt

Its a bit too modern sounding for me. It's not like its assaulting my sensibilities, or anything: I like that it uses a melody from the score, and I also like some of the instrumental choices such as anvil and Cabasa. The "ya-ya-ya", while an inspired choice on paper (it does sound like Nigunim!), doesn't work quite as well as one would hope.

Its also sung in a deeper voice than the other two, so you can chart a transition from men's voices in The Hobbit (fitting of a dwarf-centric story) into the female-dominated Lord of the Rings, with the lighter tenor voices of Sheeren and Boyd serving as a transient.

But "I See Fire" uses Guitar in a way that feels more in line with how its used in the score, and it's such a little Song that even if offends your sensibilities in any way, it at least doesn't hit you over the head with it.

6 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Less "Middle Earth-y" than Song for the Lonely Mountain?

It sounds like it was written for the movie, using a melody from the movie.  I See Fire sounds like any other Ed Sheeran song on the radio.  Again, it's my favorite overall song of the three, just doesn't have the "feel" of a middle earth movie to me

Ah, well on the level of the melody, yes, it feels more like it grows out of the score. Sure. Especially in the actual end credits where it is preceded by a lovely arrangement of the Company theme.

Its a great melody!

"In Dreams."

I've heard "Use Well the Days" once, when I watched the DVD.  Wish it had made it onto the Rarities CD that came with the book, but I'm sure Annie Lennox's costs would have skyrocketed the price.  I know I can rip it off of the DVD...just haven't been bothered yet.

On 10/5/2017 at 2:51 PM, Bajak said:

I see. I don't suppose there is a chance they will be reissued, or is there?

What, the original OSTs?  I don't think they've ever gone out of print.

Well and, I know I am going a bit off topic, but what about The Hobbit scores? I would like to buy them too, before they get rare. I read the normal edition has some "alternates" that the special edition doesn't have, namely for example Roast Mutton, so I suppose I have to buy everything available to have a complete collection? What about the sound resolution of the CDs? I saw there is a 24/44.1 version available for digital download. Do the discs have the same quality?

CDs are 16 bit 44.1khz so if you have equipment that can actually play the 24bit versions, and your ears are good enough to tell the difference, then buying the digital download instead of the physical CD might be right for you.

And yes, the regular edition of AUJ and DOS have some music on them that isn't on the SE versions of AUJ and DOS.  Personally, I bought all six releases.

15 minutes ago, Bajak said:

I read the normal edition has some "alternates" that the special edition doesn't have, namely for example Roast Mutton, so I suppose I have to buy everything available to have a complete collection?

There are a few alternates in the shorter versions for An Unexpected Journey, a little one for Desolation of Smaug and nothing in particular for The Battle of the Five Armies.

They're not complete, but they are as close as an OST release gets. There is some additional music to be ripped from the credits and the music for the trailer of An Unexpected Journey is available for download, as well.

Doug's book (which we were now told is awaiting release) is set to include a rarities CD holding some of the unreleased bits, like the diegetic appearance of the new Rivendell theme.

21 minutes ago, Bajak said:

The limited edition.

I would assume those have been OOP for years, but I have honestly never investigated because I got them all a long time ago.  Have you gone to Amazon.com and seen what's there?

The only one I know offhand is called Castle on the Hill, which I remember because it's also an Edward Scissorhands track.  But everything I've heard on the radio from him sounds very samey.

16 minutes ago, SafeUnderHill said:

Is it?

I seem to recall Doug giving very strong and conclusive clues that there was material attached to the book.

As for the diegetic rendition of Valley of Imladris, It's just a guess, but since Doug said that it almost made the OST, I assume putting it on the rarities is a no-brainer.

I got the LE of TTT for pretty cheap. (Compared to CR's)

On 10/5/2017 at 0:16 PM, Chen G. said:

"Except for the other two"

You don't think it is better than "Song of the Lonely Mountain"?

I mean, yeah, "Song of the Lonely Mountain" at least uses a melody from the score (which, to me, is its saving grace) but I still feel "I See Fire" is less "anachronistic", as it were.

They both have the "ooooooooooh"/"whoooohoooooooohooooohoooohoooooooooooooo" shark jumping moment though.

Yes, but I still like them fine.

"Song of the Lonely Mountain" has a great melody and some nice colors, and "I See Fire" has an appropriately solemn feel to it. Both could have been better, sure, but I still like them fine. When I watch the movies or listen to the scores in sequence, I continue to watch/listen through the credits music.

But that would take all the fun out of us fans creating such edits for ourselves.

There's also some fun to be had with layering the different alternate takes over one another. When The End of All Things meets the Cracks of Doom, Sammath Naur, The Lord of the Rings symphony and A Composer's Journey, its a real ear bleeder. :P

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure it varied from story to store.  Unclear what the manufacturer's suggested retail price was.  I recall that the regular OST cost maybe $15 and the special edition cost maybe $18-20.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last time I looked at least one of my CR's (I'm pretty sure it was FOTR) has a "curved" spine. Though I honestly can't say that's simply a function of age & use or if it was that way when I bought it.  And I bought them all separately as they were released, not as a boxed set.

Next time I pull them out I take some pics and post them.

17 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

And I bought them all separately as they were released, not as a boxed set.

As far as I know, the CRs were never released together as part of one big box set, so buying them separately has always be the only possible way to go. ;)

Ah, OK. I might be thinking of the DVD's of the EE's then, because at one point I recall being annoyed that I didn't have the slipcase that the box set had. But yeah, it was probably the DVD's.

That's the one.  Now that I think about it, I believe they were offering to mail the slipcase to people who had purchased the DVD sets separately, and I got one that way.

Man, was I a geek.

Fixed my typo.

I can't recall if its ever been said why there were two different styles produced.  My only guess would be they needed to produce large quantities of product in a short time, and used two different production plants, who each did it a little differently.  But even that would really only explain FOTR, not why it happened again with the other ones.  I dunno.

Right, so here are my copies of the CR's. As you can see, only Fellowship has the curved spine.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

IIRC my FOTR is flat, and my TTT and ROTK are curved.  But I'd have to check when I get home to be sure.

Jay, we should swap copies of Fellowship, so we each have a matching set. ;) 

IMG_0069.JPG

• 1 month later...