New Laurence Rosenthal interview available online

John Takis

For FSM's recent double-feature release of THE COMEDIANS & HOTEL PARADISO (still available, as of this post), I conducted an extensive interview with the great Laurence Rosenthal. Extracts from our conversation appear in my printed liner notes, but the uncut interview contains a wealth of additional detail -- on these and other Peter Glenville collaborations, such as RASHOMON, MAN OF LA MANCHA, and A PATRIOT FOR ME.

The interview is now up in its entirety on the FSM webpage, free for all to read and enjoy:

http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/notes/rosenthal_interview.html

Thanks to Laurence Rosenthal for his kind permission to post this. He is a man of robust good-humor and keen intelligence, and I hope that in reading his words, you are able to get a sense of the personality behind so much incredible music.

• 7 years later...

We don't have an official Laurence Rosenthal thread here and I believe this composer is unjustly neglected.  His score to Meteor (1979) is fantastic!  Anyone who loves Horner, Goldsmith, of this time will love this composer.  I don't think I've heard a single thing he's done that I didn't love regardless of the genre.  Goldsmith is revered for his " avant garde" score to Planet of the Apes but don't forget Rosenthal's Fantastic Voyage.  He scored twilight zone and star trek episodes too including one of the best feature films, Star Trek IV, The Voyage Home.  He composed much concert music as well which is neglected.  Unfortunately, Rosenthal suffered from Alzheimer's disease in the last years of his life which might account for his neglect.  He was roommates with James Dean and scored his classic film, Rebel without a Cause.

On 8/29/2018 at 8:59 PM, karelm said:

We don't have an official Laurence Rosenthal thread here and I believe this composer is unjustly neglected.  His score to Meteor (1979) is fantastic!  Anyone who loves Horner, Goldsmith, of this time will love this composer.  I don't think I've heard a single thing he's done that I didn't love regardless of the genre.  Goldsmith is revered for his " avant garde" score to Planet of the Apes but don't forget Rosenthal's Fantastic Voyage.  He scored twilight zone and star trek episodes too including one of the best feature films, Star Trek IV, The Voyage Home.  He composed much concert music as well which is neglected.  Unfortunately, Rosenthal suffered from Alzheimer's disease in the last years of his life which might account for his neglect.  He was roommates with James Dean and scored his classic film, Rebel without a Cause.

Uh...

Laurence Rosenthal and Leonard Rosenman were two entirely different composers....

Rosenman did Fantastic Voyage, and Star Trek IV, and was roommates with James Dean, and is dead.

Rosenthal did Meteor, and Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, and is very much alive.

9 hours ago, Falafel said:

Uh...

Lawrence Rosenthal and Leonard Rosenman were two entirely different composers....

Also, there is no Lawrence Rosenthal. Laurence, on the other hand.... ;)

Love his work on YOUNG INDIANA JONES, although I've always preferred McNeely's material of the two.

12 hours ago, Falafel said:

Uh...

Lawrence Rosenthal and Leonard Rosenman were two entirely different composers....

Rosenman did Fantastic Voyage, and Star Trek IV, and was roommates with James Dean, and is dead.

Rosenthal did Meteor, and Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, and is very much alive.

Oh man!  I totally got them mixed. 😌  But in my own deference both are under represented. 😎