Intrada Will Release Poledouris' Conan The Barbarian and Conan The Destroyer

Dean1700

I don't think the Destroyer recording is totally horrible. The orchestra is smaller than it should be, but it's still performed professionally. I don't recall any severe performance mistakes (though I only know the 30 minute OST). I also think the OST has a very dry, artificial sounding mix. That's something Intrada will probably correct.

However, Tadlow's recording is excellent, and is worth it for the Sword and Sorcery Suite if nothing else.

I'm not sure I want or need the new Intrada release. I'll wait and see what the response is and, more importantly, sound quality. Until then I've got what could be my definite edition.

Karol

Barbarian is definitely one that I want the original recording for, even though I love the Tadlow version. Destroyer is something I can wait for too, because to me the Tadlow is absolutely definitive.

Yeah, Barbarian is absolutely worth it for the performance. Imperfect, but beautiful. Actually, there's only one thing that really bugs me: the cadences in "Recovery." It's supposed to be on a major third, but about half the orchestra plays it flat. It happens both times. (0:46, 1:45.) I wonder if that's one of the mistakes that's going to be digitally corrected. I don't care about purism; if there's anything that can be done about that egregious error, let it be done.

But aside from that? It's a really good recording. The challenging trumpet parts, the extra percussion, the choir in "Cantigas de Santa Maria" ... while it's really cool to hear those on Tadlow's recording, I can't say I find the original recording lacking. All of those things are special effects, icing. The core elements of the score are totally in place in the original recording: the lush string section, the emotive woodwind solos, the explosive brass, etc. Also:

unused versions of the entire "Children Of Doom" sequence written for mezzo-soprano with chamber orchestra as well as for female choir with harp (including a gorgeous, never-before-heard bridge passage for woodwinds)

:D

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Tracklisting for the disc:

http://www.underscor...t-tracklisting/

]CD1

COMPLETE SCORE

Prologue / Anvil Of Crom (03:39)

02. Riddle Of Steel / Riders Of Doom (05:40)

03. Gift Of Fury (03:51)

04. Column Of Sadness / Wheel Of Pain (04:10)

05. Pit Fights (02:40)

06. The Discipline Of Steel / Freedom Council (01:38)

07. Atlantean Sword (04:01)

08. Warm Welcome (02:06)

09. Wolf Witch (03:10)

10. Theology / Civilization (03:14)

11. Street Of Deviants (00:29)

12. Hopefuls At The Tower Of Set (02:22)

13. The Tower Of Set (05:38)

14. The Snake / Infidels (02:01)

15. The Tavern (01:14)

16. Wifeing (Love Theme From Conan The Barbarian) (02:11)

17. Indulgence / Mettle (01:15)

18. The Hall Of King Osric (01:23)

19. The Leaving / The Search (05:58)

Total Time : 56:51

conan-sword-2.jpg

CD2

01. The Mountain Of Power Procession (03:22)

02. Capture (00:52)

03. Tree Of Woe / Recovery (05:46)

04. Warpaint (01:01)

05. The Kitchen / The Orgy (06:30)

06. The Defilers (05:16)

07. Funeral Pyre (04:32)

08. Battle Of The Mounds - Part I (04:52)

09. Battle Of The Mounds - Part II (02:16)

10. Battle Of The Mounds - Part III (Revised) / Night Of Doom (05:36)

11. Head Chop (00:57)

12. Orphans Of Doom / The Awakening (05:33)

13. Conan The King / End Title (05:28)

Score Time : 52:04

THE EXTRAS

14. Prologue (First Version) (00:46)

15. Anvil Of Crom (First Version) (02:31)

16. The Tower Of Set - Part I (First Version) (03:46)

17. Battle Of The Mounds - Part II (First Version) (02:16)

18. Battle Of The Mounds - Part III (First Version) (03:03)

19. Orphans Of Doom (Orchestra & Solo Voice) (01:22)

20. Orphans Of Doom (Chorus & Harp) / The Awakening (First Version) (06:45)

21. Las Cantigas de Santa Maria (The Snake) (06:05)

Extras Time : 26:41

Total Time : 78:45

conan-sword-2.jpg

CD3

ORIGINAL 1982 SOUNDTRACK ALBUM

01. Anvil Of Crom (02:35)

02. Riddle Of Steel / Riders Of Doom (05:38)

03. Gift Of Fury (03:51)

04. Wheel Of Pain (04:10)

05. Atlantean Sword (03:51)

06. Theology / Civilization (03:14)

07. Wifeing (Love Theme From Conan The Barbarian) (02:11)

08. The Search (03:09)

09. The Orgy (04:16)

10. Funeral Pyre (04:30)

11. Battle Of The Mounds (04:54)

12. Orphans Of Doom / The Awakening (05:32)

Total Album Time : 48:17

ONE LAST EXTRA

13. Prologue (with narration) / Anvil Of Crom (03:39)

Total Time : 52:06

Agree with Mark, disagree with Stefan. Glad it's in the bonus track section. Easy enough for anyone to swap in their media player of choice

Nope. I have to agree with Stefan. Mako's narration should have been Track 1. In saying that I'm just glad they have included it at all. Am so looking forward to this.

Agree with Mark, disagree with Stefan. Glad it's in the bonus track section. Easy enough for anyone to swap in their media player of choice

Don't understand what you mean. Just cause you guys have a nostalgic fetish for the film doesn't mean the dialogue belongs with the music. Watch the movie if you want to hear it.

the OST presentation is there for nostalgic reasons.

It that the dialogue in the past it should have the dialogue now.

As of now, it's a useless CD that one could create on its own with the score cues or just play the old CD.

regardless, you either preserve the original OST presentation or completely ditch the idea of adding one innecessary disc to the set.

I'm sure this set will not have a hobbit SE price but a 3CD set price.

I might get this, might not. Depends on my situation.

Personally, I'm really pleased with my Tadlow re-recordings. They just nailed this score.

regardless, you either preserve the original OST presentation or completely ditch the idea of adding one innecessary disc to the set.

I'm sure this set will not have a hobbit SE price but a 3CD set price.

They did preserve the original OST. The prologue/dialog was not on the MCA LP or the Varese CD. It was just something Milan stuck on there. Either way, the prologue is there with the main title as an alternate...so what's the big deal?

$29.99 is not a bad price. I'll wait for the reactions and see if I want this. For now, Tadlow does just fine for me. Altough, I have to admit even the samples show there is indeed a difference in sound.

Karol

i've accustomed to the tadlow now... and the original recording sounds trange now...

im not sure...

and the extra price for the useless OST...

it's a shame tadlow had to set the lyrics by ear, that's my only complain.

Since Barbarian is MAF, I will wait. I have bought more than enough recently out of concern for either a really good sale or because it would go OOP, which it did. This will be here awhile. Besides, I might need to save a few for Santa to bring me.

• 2 years later...

Maybe tadlow and Intrada cae to an agreement. So intrada will release it in a few years, after taldow has made it's money out of his recording.

I remember that when destroyer or both conans were announced by intrada, it sounded like a backstab for taldow, since they announced it very close to taldow's release, and it would affect sales a lot.

• 2 years later...

A bit of positive news from Roger about the status of Destroyerhttp://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?forumID=1&pageID=4&threadID=123828&archive=0 (last post)

It's still going through its endless clearance, but packaging and master is all done. As it has been for well over a year!

Not only that, but Ford Thaxton has chosen to publicly criticize Intrada for even deciding to release it:

FSMer:

Still waiting for Conan the Destroyer here.

I'm getting old, dudes!

Ford Thaxton:

It's been here for awhile, the PROMETHEUS album is a vastly superior performance then the OST.

Basil HATED that recording with a passion. 

Ford A. Thaxton

Roger Feigelson, Intrada:

I'm not sure what the point of this post is. Is to say that because Basil hated the original soundtrack it shouldn't be released? Or that because he hated it we all should hate it? 

Personally I have no issue with it. It's not as if the orchestra hits any wrong notes in the performance. The performance nuances that drove him bananas aren't something most of us would notice because only he knows the sound he was trying to get. We only know what it is. It's still going through its endless clearance, but packaging and master is all done. As it has been for well over a year!

Ford:

I'm not sure what the point of this post is. Is to say that because Basil hated the original soundtrack it shouldn't be released? Or that because he hated it we all should hate it?

Roger, He hated the recording, the orchestra wasn't very good, as a matter of fact that's one of the reasons that the Main Title wasn't included on the original album, as I recall they did seven or eight takes and he just gave up and hope it would be buried under the sound effects of the horses in the titles sequence.

Personally I have no issue with it. It's not as if the orchestra hits any wrong notes in the performance. The performance nuances that drove him bananas aren't something most of us would notice because only he knows the sound he was trying to get. We only know what it is. It's still going through its endless clearance, but packaging and master is all done. As it has been for well over a year!

Oh, so we should just ignore him on this topic?

OK

Ford A. Thaxton

JWfan's own @OneBuckFilms:

I don't think it's about ignoring his thoughts, but placing them in the perspective of preserving and presenting a beloved, if flawed work.

Ford:

No, it's just ignoring him..

If that's what you wish to do, go ahead.

Ford A. Thaxton

Roger & @OneBuckFilms are 100% right on this issue and Ford is 100% wrong.

Ford's an asshat, but he's not "100% wrong." Basil did hate the Destroyer recording. James Fitzpatrick talked about it when Prometheus did their recording. Whether the original recording should have an archival release is absolutely subjective.

I'm not saying Ford is wrong about Basil hating the recording - but that fact is irrelevant.  Onebuck perfectly explained why it deserves to be released anyway.

You think that Intrada should not release an expanded version of Conan The Destroyer because Basil was unhappy with the orchestra's performance?