What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Get Carter

Sir Michael of Caine in an absolute storming performance. A kicker of a theme and some 'grim up north' locations add to it. Even if you end up doing impressions by the end -"I'll see you later...Margaret!"- nowhere in Brydon/Coogan's league.

And Caine perhaps being the best dressed mobster this side of Northumberland.

Ack! I'm somehow 2 weeks behind on mentioning movies I've seen recently! Gah! About two weeks ago now, I saw

godzilla-bryan-cranston-movie-still.png

Godzilla (2014)

I liked it! It was nowhere near perfect, but damn if that final battle sequence, and many of the destruction sequences along the way, weren't kick-ass summer popcorn entertainment. This isn't a movie you should expect anything deep or meaningful from - I mean the monsters literally eat nuclear waste as food - but for "turn your brain off and have a great time at the movies", this one was well done.

I can see why many don't like it though, because so many aspects, especially in the first basically half of the movie, are actually handled quite poorly. Bryan Cranston is wasted, the main actor has zero charisma, you don't really care about any of the characters, and many completely superfluous things are in the movie just because... well, just because I guess. You could seriously cut the first 2/3rds of the movie down in half and still have basically the same movie.

I must point out too that the score was fantastic in the film. In fact, I liked it more in the film than I had on CD! It always came in at the right time, and always was the right tone for the scene. In fact the music seemed to always make the scene better than it would have been without it. Good job by Desplat!

Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Still enjoyed it. Kinetic directing by Doug Liman, and the chemistry between Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie still sizzles. (And looking back, no wonder they got together in real life!) And their comedic timing and willingness to go all out for a laugh... it elevates an otherwise standard script. It's things like that where a good director and great stars make all the difference.

o-12-YEARS-A-SLAVE-BEST-PICTURE-DRAMA-fa

12 Years A Slave

Not something I'll probably watch again, but it was a well made story. It's just a depressing one, you basically watch a man get kidnapped, sold into slavery, then have one horrible thing after another happen to him for 12 years. Actually the 12 years part is odd, because there is no sense of how much time has passed in the film at all, he looks the same at the beginning as he does at the end. It's a sad story, and one that deserved to be told, and the cast and directing were all excellent. It's just... eh, now that I've seen it, not much to say about it. Nothing that stayed in my brain really.

Fassbender played a real asshole in this. Brad Pitt has two scenes that seem horribly out of place, stuff that can only be written in the modern day. The ending was big let down too. Just not pulled off well.

The score by Zimmer was atrocious. Completely inappropriate for the film. it's set in the 1850s and has loud Inception BWAAAAAMs all over the place. The source music was all better than the score.

Hans Christian Andersen

big Kaye fan but just couldn't settle in it. If anything Kaye seemed just a part of it unlike other films like Walter Mitty or Wonder Man for example. Disappointed sadly.

Thing is though, that track with the INCEPTION horn blasts ('Boat Trip to New Orleans') is probably the only interesting cue in the score. Everything else is just dull ambience and repackaging of Journey to the Line/Time.

Didn't look different? Compare his happy brightly self in the beginning to the beaten and weathered one in the end and tell me he doesn't look different. DId you want old age make-up?

"Inception BWAAAAAMs" all over the place? You mean one scene for a couple minutes? Are they not supposed to be there because it's the 1850s?

Thing is though, that track with the INCEPTION horn blasts ('Boat Trip to New Orleans') is probably the only interesting cue in the score. Everything else is just dull ambience and repackaging of Journey to the Line/Time.

I was so sick of that theme by the end of the film. Seemed to play every few seconds. The films was brilliant anyway but the less said about the score the better.

Is this another case of "COMPLETELY INAPPROPRIATE FOR THE MOVIE!" like we got with the Gravity score?

Because that probably means I'll think it's perfectly suited to the movie.

No, it wasn't like the Gravity situation at all. For one thing, there was probably only 20-30 minutes of score in a 2 1/2 hour movie. Most of it was completely unscored.

No, it wasn't like the Gravity situation at all. For one thing, there was probably only 20-30 minutes of score in a 2 1/2 hour movie. Most of it was completely unscored.

and as you said the source music was better than those 20-30 minutes. Some of that source music was immensely powerful stuff.

The "inception bwaams" actually work in context. The main theme sucks and is repeated whenever "emotional music" is needed, with little to no variation. Thank God the film was not scored wall to wall. As there is little score to begin with, its not intrusive to the film.

You should check the movie out Lee.

The "inception bwaams" actually work in context. The main theme sucks and is repeated whenever "emotional music" is needed, with little to no variation. Thank God the film was not scored wall to wall. As there is little score to begin with, its not intrusive to the film.

Exactly. I don't understand how anyone can hate it. It's the most minimalist thing Hans has done. McQueen is obviously a Thin Red Line fan so you can't even blame Zimmer for the similarities. It's there to give the slightest nudge to the drama when needed, but for a majority of the time the visuals speak for themselves.

Yes, Koray, but its hardly a perfect score. Subtlety and restraint doesn't equal bland and repetitive.

Just to make it clear, I actually liked "Boat Trip to New Orleans", its the Thin Red Line-esque stuff that sucks, which is just about the rest of the score.

I've never listened to the score on its own, maybe it's fine in that situation. In the film itself, it was incredibly distracting. Even Marcy pointed it out. She started laughing when the Inception BWAMs came in.

Yeah, I just checked. The official release was just music from and inspired by the movie. There's only one or two cues by Zimmer on it.

Babette's Feast

I was hungry at the end of this movie. Also a gentle movie about kindness and selflessness. It really shows how small gestures really mean something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvHYGv-Ul18

Don't forget the score!

Just as enjoyable as the movie. Powell's score was the icing on the cake, but Jolie/Pitt and Liman really made the film.

The "Inception-like" (aside from the bwaams, there isn't much similarity) tracks are the best bits, other than that, the FYC is a chore to sit through.

Moonrise Kingdom

Sweet movie. Anderson's "insignificant but noticeable filmmaking quirks" thing results in one or two moments of cringyness, but that's a small price to pay. Charming acting, especially from the two kids. I like the ensemble nature of his films; something about that is very cozy and enjoyable.

Desplat's score was much more inviting than I expected. Will have to listen to it forthwith.

Really enjoyed that film.

Desplat's score is really just one cue with some variations and it works well. But the real hero is obviously Benjamin Britten. His work really adds to the film.

Desplat's score to Grand Budapest Hotel is much better. I eagerly look forward to seeing that film.

Also watched Joss Whedon's Much Ado About Nothing the other night. Seriously good time, that one is. All the regular Whedonites running around his LA home acting out Shakespeare... what's not to love? And Joss makes his compositional debut with a nifty score.

500 Days Of Summer: Feels phoney. Might be meaningful for kids who are just starting to discover the opposite sex and non-action movies. Levitt was good though. 4/10

500_days_of_summer_500_jours_ensemble_zo

Alex

I still try to see all the main summer blockbusters

But by now I'd rather see a half ass, childhood raping new Star Wars movie than another Marvel film

500 Days Of Summer: Feels phoney. Might be meaningful for kids who are just starting to discover the opposite sex and non-action movies. Levitt was good though. 4/10

500_days_of_summer_500_jours_ensemble_zo

Alex

Nah, it's meaningful for anyone.

How old are you KK? ;)

Maybe if I was 14, I would agree. What I saw was slightly offbeat but all very saltless. I much more prefer The Graduate (which I saw when I was 14).

How old are you KK? ;)

Maybe if I was 14, I would agree. What I saw was slightly offbeat but all very saltless. I much more prefer The Graduate (which I saw when I was 14).

I saw the film when I was 15 actually. :P It was charming stuff.

Looks like a Dawson's Creek angsty movie. I'll pass.

Based on a screenshot? You're too dismissive of stuff, man.

Maybe its target is more for the 20s crowd, but I feel like anyone who has ever been in a relationship can relate to this film. If it wasn't for its abstract realism and stellar costume design it would probably end up as just another romantic dramedy, but I really dig the tone and the script too. Watch a trailer at least.