What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The Wind that Shakes the Barley (2006).

Hadnt seen this in years so it was nice to revisit. Despite the fact that it's a fictionalised telling of the Tan War and subsequent Civil War I find it to be a much more accurate portrayal of that period of Irish history than the earlier Michael Collins by Neill Jordan. All the major events in it are based on actual events from the period too so that adds to the legitimacy I guess. Does a great job of portraying how bloodthirsty and crazed the Tans were. 

It's beautifully shot and the Irish countryside looks great. The colour has that lovely "it's just finished pissing rain" look about it so it looks like Ireland and not just a Hollywood representation of it. The DVD suffers on a 50 inch screen though. Would love to see a nice Blu-Ray transfer. No word about one any time soon and this year being the 10th anniversary, and 100th of the Rising, would have made it the obvious choice. Oh well.

Cillian Murphy and Liam Cunningham are excellent in it. Love that there's a bit of hurling at the start too. Score is nice but it's lightly scored. The inclusion of the song that gives the film its title is nice as is the use of Óró, sé do bheatha 'bhaile.

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

Beetlejuice, Ed Wood, Nigtmare Before Christmas and Sweeney Todd are his best, IMO. Batman and Scissorhands I can enjoy, but everything else is messy.

Pretty much spot on.  Although I would throw Sleepy Hollow and Pee-wee's Big Adventure in there.

The rest are messy or even garbage.

Sex in a Cold Climate

Absolutely heartbreaking. I've heard about the Magdalene asylums, but to hear testimonies from four former 'penitents' illuminates the cruelty and ridicule heaped upon these women. Some were even turned over to the Magdalene asylums by their own families because of out-of-wedlock children, assault by a family member or that they were "pretty as a picture". It makes a good companion piece for Philomena.

Adrianne-Palicki.jpg (658×370)

John Wick

This is one of the stupidest movies I've seen in a long time.  It was boring and repetive to the max.  Just an iultra-violent shoot and stab em up movie with nothing new to bring.  Not sure why some people I know loved it.  American Ultra and Evelyn are loads better.

How they got Willem Dafoe, Ian McShane, John Leguizano, Lance Reddick, Dean Winters, or Bridget Moynahan to be in this, or why its getting a sequel, is beyond me.  Was kinda funny seeing Theon Greyjoy in a different role, though.

Electric guitar score was terrible

On 4/25/2016 at 3:36 AM, Quintus said:

Beetlejuice, Ed Wood, Nigtmare Before Christmas and Sweeney Todd are his best, IMO. Batman and Scissorhands I can enjoy, but everything else is messy. 

Should probably be noted Nightmare was directed by Henry Selick, not Burton.

I would add Big Fish which is one of my favorites of his. Really I enjoy most of his output through Sweeney Todd, but Alice in Wonderland was so appalling that I haven't even bothered with his live action stuff since. I did see Frankenweenie, though, which was okay.

It's pretty obvious that Burton is mostly responsible for The Nightmare Before Christmas. Not sure why he didn't get directing credit, but I mean, it's included in the Danny Elfman-Tim Burton 25th Anniversary music box.

He didn't get directing credit because he didn't direct it. Obviously it's his brand and he was certainly responsible for the concept and rough story outline, surely was involved quite a bit in the early stages but it's not really that clear how involved he was in pre-production and by all accounts he simply was not around when they were actually making the thing. Batman Returns and Ed Wood were both happening during that 2 year timespan, it's a group of people doing their best Tim Burton imitation. 

I mean, this is all corroborated by any article or interview on Nightmare's production history that you could ever read, but okay. More than anything it's just not possible that he could have directed a stop-motion feature at exactly the same time that he was making two other movies.

Burton should do that more often.  Come up with a concept and then stand back, let someone else do it.  He seems like a good idea man.  The fact that he didn't adapt the story or write the screenplay, or direct the movie, while also lending a ton of credit to Elfman for the music and songs, goes a long way in explaining why I probably like it.  Ironically, the person imitating Burton made a better Burton movie than Burton would have.

Once again this proves that everyone is different*, nightscapers. My favorite Burtons bypass the participation of Danny Elfman and that's exactly how I like it.

* yet equal

11 hours ago, Quintus said:

Good spot and correction. It's like when I always have to remember that the best Michael Bay movie ever made (Con Air) wasn't directed by Michael Bay. 

That is a horrible film. It's only redeeming quality is the Frankenstein homage. 

Ant-Man

A slightly different offering from Marvel, after the gigantic juggernaut that was Age Of Ultron.

I like the fact that this is essentially a heist movie with some superhero stuff thrown in. Good cast (even though Paul Rudd does nothing for me and he seems curiously restrained here). Fun special effects, the usual mediocre Marvel villain and a few nice nods to the MCU thrown in for good measure.

It's kind of like a place holder movie. Something they needed to slot into that release date which does the job of being Marvels' second film of that year.

Ant-Man is a totally inconsequential film, but it is quite a lot of fun. Could have been a bit shorter I guess.

Any film that puts Hayley Atwell and Evangeline Lilly on the big screen is fine with me!

I quite enjoyed the montages of people telling info to the next person, etc.

16 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Ant-Man

A slightly different offering from Marvel, after the gigantic juggernaut that was Age Of Ultron.

I like the fact that this is essentially a heist movie with some superhero stuff thrown in. Good cast (even though Paul Rudd does nothing for me and he seems curiously restrained here). Fun special effects, the usual mediocre Marvel villain and a few nice nods to the MCU thrown in for good measure.

It's kind of like a place holder movie. Something they needed to slot into that release date which does the job of being Marvels' second film of that year.

Ant-Man is a totally inconsequential film, but it is quite a lot of fun. Could have been a bit shorter I guess.

You gave in and watched the movie? Have you no character?!

Alex - last man standing

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

It's ok. A solid home video streamer.

I was entertained but didnt really feel involved with any of it.

Basically what I told you.

It features the greatest de-aging effect to this point in time.

13 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I mean, this is all corroborated by any article or interview on Nightmare's production history that you could ever read, but okay. More than anything it's just not possible that he could have directed a stop-motion feature at exactly the same time that he was making two other movies.

Yeah but I don't consider it fair to just credit him with "concept and rough outline." Elfman and him pretty much worked everything out prior to production. 

Deadpool:

It's Marvel a la Jim 'Airplane' Abrahams. Sure it's funny but after a while it made me somewhat nervous. I must admit, pretty boy Ryan Reynolds did surprisingly well. Like some reviewer said: "If The Winter Soldier was Marvel's Three Days Of The Condor then Deadpool is its Porky's. 6/10

Deadpool-Drawing-Dancing.jpg

Alex

Paprika (2006)

This film is still a really cool experience. I showed it to a friend, and after a little while he was at a loss for words to say "wait, what??". The film has a lot of of character, even if I wish the resolution packed a little more punch and explained a few details, and the antagonists weren't cliched like that. The score adds a lot to the visual dreamy psychedelia. I love the humorous moments.

Babe, 1995

I saw this in a live-to-projection performance at the Sydney Opera House last week. 21 years after I first saw it in cinemas, it it still holds up. It's also been 15 years since I last watched it, so rediscovering it at such a venue was an experience I'll never forget. Nigel Westlake's score is one of the most moving and delightful I've ever heard. And his live conducting was excellent.

Babe: Pig in the City, 1998

I sometimes feel I'm the only one who likes this or gets this. To me it's in the same league as Batman Returns and Addams Family Values - sequels that didn't have as wide appeal as their predecessors, but were clever and took their subjects down a different and interesting path. It's definitely one of the ballsiest sequels ever made. It almost feels like a vanity project for George Miller, who didn't direct the original film, but wanted his own shot at replicating Chris Noonan's triumph, but due to a lukewarm audience reception, this grasp at success evaded him. I love the film though.

On a bit more reflection, my only real disappointment in the film is the significantly reduced roles of Fly and Rex. Sure they had to stay on the farm for practicality sake, but I liked Rex's development in the first film.

The first one is more traditional, the second one feels like the film Miller originally wanted to make.

Still curious about that rejected Goldsmith score.

The Birds, really good almost a masterpiece in need of a score.

Monolith Monsters, a B film masterpiece with a great score.

Black Mass:

joel-black-mass.jpg

6,5/10

The Great Gatsby:

The-Great-Gatsby-52.jpg

5/10

That's right! Two Joel Edgerton movies in a row!

Alex 

It was a waste of all the talent (a really great cast!) involved.  Totally cliched gangster story