What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

It's a good album but a complete release would be welcome. I would buy that.

The movie celebrates it's 20th anniversary next year so perhaps then?

Karol

Wouldn't you say the difference between the amount of released source music and released score is too ridiculous to call annoying? And what's with that dialogue? If I want dialogue, I'll watch the film. Not to mention that final CD from the Anniversary Edition... Were they really being serious?

Planet of the Apes (1968)

It's a classic and it's the only one you need. That being said, I also watched:

Beneath the Planet of the Apes

Perhaps the first sequel that was basically a soft reboot of the original, bringing back characters in minor supporting roles (glorified cameos?) and more or less just repackaging the first one. Same shit happens. Hunky male human arrives, gets captured by apes, teams up with apes and that babe Nova, and then...wait, what the hell is this shit? Okay, but then there's your mind-blowing ending. At the very least, you've got to appreciate how whacked out those final 30 seconds are where

Heston presses the button that presumably destroys the planet and, out of nowhere, a brief monologue by Paul Frees (who had just recently provided the narration for The Haunted Mansion at Disneyland) informs us of said destruction. It's got nothing on the Statue of Liberty, but it's pretty amazing in its own weird way.

15 hours ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

Planet of the Apes (1968)

It's a classic and it's the only one you need. That being said, I also watched:

Beneath the Planet of the Apes

Perhaps the first sequel that was basically a soft reboot of the original, bringing back characters in minor supporting roles (glorified cameos?) and more or less just repackaging the first one. Same shit happens. Hunky male human arrives, gets captured by apes, teams up with apes and that babe Nova, and then...wait, what the hell is this shit? Okay, but then there's your mind-blowing ending. At the very least, you've got to appreciate how whacked out those final 30 seconds are where

Hide contents

Heston presses the button that presumably destroys the planet and, out of nowhere, a brief monologue by Paul Frees (who had just recently provided the narration for The Haunted Mansion at Disneyland) informs us of said destruction. It's got nothing on the Statue of Liberty, but it's pretty amazing in its own weird way.

I love Beneath. If they'd left it right there, it would have been a satisfying, if not bleak two-parter.

Yet while the social satire of the first film was humourous and nuanced, it feels a bit ham-fisted in Beneath, with those chimp protesters and General Whats-his-face's "the only good human is a dead human!" speech.

But once it gets to the underground mutants, it becomes interestingly trippy. And that hymn to the bomb they sing in unison is bone chillingly frightening in a weirdly gothic kind of way.

To me, it's an underrated entry, probably only because the first was such a tough act to follow.

2 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

Contagion, a complete waste of time and effort. 1 out of 5. 

I'm told it's a very realistic portrayal of what would happen in the event of an outbreak. Moreso then that Dustin Hoffman film.

1 hour ago, Shatner's Rug said:

I love Beneath. If they'd left it right there, it would have been a satisfying, if not bleak two-parter.

The film improved upon the first one by dropping the pinko commie social satire tone and getting to the point!

If man cannot rule the Earth, then it should be destoyed!

Would never have compared them in a million years, but Outbreak never let the facts get in the way of what is an exceedingly daft and watchable story. Contagion is just sanitary and bland with  a genuinely surprising degree of pointlessness. It goes absolutely nowhere. Soderbergh's style is probably the least interesting to me of any filmmaker out there, and I literally couldn't think of less suitable material. 

Jude Law's conspiracy theorist's cameo (rocking a horrible Aussie accent) feels about as contrived as the many others in there. It's like Towering Inferno in the style of a Dettol disinfectant advert with some famous people for the absolute sake of it. Probably the least suspenseful pandemic thriller ever made. 

4 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

Contagion, a complete waste of time and effort. 1 out of 5. 

I would disagree. I found it disturbing and realistic. It's not a great movie but it had moments that made me think how things would go in a real event. It had a horror movie quality and sex once again gets you killed.

It wasn't great either but Contagion had a bigger body count. For me the horror of that film lies in man's inability, even in a modern age, of how to deal with the dead bodies. The Nazis made an industry of it and they couldn't keep up.

How does one nation deal with 75 million dead bodies. 

Do you think Contagion depicted that well? I don't think it bothered to much at all to be honest. There wasn't much of a sense of human loss on a 'grand scale' in the way you describe, imo. The news anchors told us it was millions dead and that was that aspect pretty much covered, in Soderbergh's mind. The aftermath was, well, there was no aftermath. 

Elvira Mistress of the Dark

It is relentlessly corny and clearly an '80s movie, but you can never have enough tit and ass jokes -- most of it at the titular character's expense. It's sporadically funny, with enough double entendres and innuendo to choke a horse. It's an enjoyable time waster, but prepare to use the fast-forward button in some spots.

The Thing from Another World

War of the Worlds 

and

The Day the Earth Stood Still. 

A wonderful 50's marathon.

Finished of the evening with a 70's thriller

JAWS.

Starship Troopers

A two-hour barrage of spectacle, noise, gratuitous gunfire and one baffling filmmaking choice after another. It stars perfect-looking Californian too-old-to-be-high-schoolers with the most perfect hair and make-up you'll ever see playing a bunch of high school characters (from South America, mind you) in a gritty, bloody space war. They live in a fascist world with clear Nazi stylings and seem perfectly happy to do so. The whole thing is baffling.

Until you realize you're watching a film within a film, without the film around it. Surely, Starship Troopers is the kind of propaganda schlock these characters would watch on their off day. All its casting and stylistic decisions suddenly make sense when you look at the film this way. In that regard, it's brilliant. Even the news reports and commercials surrounding the narrative make sense that way. It's so weird Verhoeven offers basically no clue this is the way the film should be read (at one point, I wondered whether he was making a comedy without telling his cast - or even his DP, editor and composer) and the film's marketing still hasn't caught on to this day (the film is still marketed as an action adventure film, rather than the stick-up of propaganda it really is). This lack of a clear this-is-what-the-movie-is scene is probably the film's biggest failing and ultimately its bane to many moviegoers.

So Starship Troopers is either the trashiest of trashy schlock or one of the most brilliantly tenacious sendups of fascism and propaganda you'll find, depending on how you look at it. But without a proper clue to the audience about what it is they're watching, it's no wonder this film's audience is still so divided on its merits twenty years after it was first released.

It's a near perfect film. So tongue in cheek.

And one of the best CGI films of the early era. If only every CGI film held up this well.

I was very impressed with the quality of its visual effects. Hard to believe some of this is twenty year-old CGI!

The practical effects are well done, too.

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Is Starship Troopers really satire in disguise though? I always though the Americans just didn't get it.

A lot of people like it for that reason. They say that Americans didn't get it because it actually makes fun of the U.S.

1 minute ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

The Mist is satire?

Yep.

It was always obvious to me Starship Troopers was a satire  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just now, Jay said:

It was always obvious to me Starship Troopers was a satire  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, but you are on a site that is visited by a lot of non-Americans. ;)

3 minutes ago, Shatner's Rug said:

I always felt my love for the ID4 score made me an honourary American!

It certainly does not. The use of the letter U in honorary betrays your national allegiance.