What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Tenebrae - Razor sharp twists in the story.  Didn't see the end coming.  But I liked Deep Red better.

Incredible Melting Man - I laughed my ass off.  Good time!

34 minutes ago, Lonnegan said:

If Tolkien's prose was bad I wouldn't have read the book. 

Isn't the accuser known to be a neo-JWFan contrarian?  Proclaiming dislike for the first Bond and a globally beloved author in the space of a few posts tells me all I need to know.  Seems easy to ignore his "opinions."

It should be mentioned for his benefit though that Rowling is actually a terrible writer, seemingly incapable of flowing language or anything remotely poetic and even more unable to conjure up ideas that aren't lumbering Frankenstein's monsters of elements from far better authors or mythical sources.  

I don't mind, don't bother being politically correct. In answer to your question, Stefancos, I first read the Dutch version which badly needs a revision (who uses the word 'gestadig' noaways?) and then I tried the English version but gave up because it was so dull and badly written.

58 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The Dutch version is awful. Tolkien never approved of the translation. The original is brilliant.

There is ... another ...

13 minutes ago, Shatner's Rug said:

There's a lovely ASMR quality to Tolkien. Any time I need to sleep, I just read a few sentences of his work.

After seeing the first movie I bought the big book containing all the three stories... in French of course... After 20 pages... I stopped. It was 15 years ago. Never read another page since! :sarcasm:

Jackson did a great summarization job, what else to say.

seigneur%20des%20anneaux%20livres%20tril

52 minutes ago, TheWhiteRider said:

The movies are better than anything Spielberg has ever done, and the score better than anything of Williams.  Needed to be said.

zgYYZ.gif

1 hour ago, TheWhiteRider said:

The movies are better than anything Spielberg has ever done

Taken as a whole, I might agree with this but it's weird to compare a single Spielberg or even a few of his films to a trilogy of three 3-hour epics. Do I favor LOTR over, say, Jaws, CE3K, ET, and Raiders as a group? Well, I dunno. I'm not sure how I would rank the LOTR films individually against those either.

the score better than anything of Williams

Mm, nah.

24 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Spielberg >>> Jackson

Undoubtedly.

So TGP, if you were an academy awards voter in 2002, you would have selected FOTR as the best score of the year over AI?

It would be a difficult choice!  And of course I wouldn't have known at that time what to expect from the next two installments - I do think all three have to be viewed as one - so it's even harder to say how I would have thought then.  But comparing just those two, trying to place myself back into that time... I feel I would have voted as you say, yes.  There is such a comparable level of rightness and quality between the two that the smallest little edge that would push me towards FOTR is only due to a greater affection for the source material.

As for the films, a silly statement like them being better than the entire output of another director is, well, silly, and pointless, unless as part of the usual jesting with other folks here like E.T. and Drax, and shouldn't be taken as more than that.  I'm much less interested in making judgements like that about films in earnest.  It's as fruitless as trying to rank scores, but I feel more motivated to at least attempt discussion of the latter.

46 minutes ago, TheWhiteRider said:

You disagree, and have more to say?  Well speak up, don't limit yourself to such curtness.

Haha, man, it's just that I didn't think your statement was hyperbolic at all and could have been a serious opinion of yours. I know you love Spielberg and Williams, but it doesn't seem very weird to me if you happen to think LOTR trumps their best? I was just musing on the comparison since I love them all and you threw it out there. Seemed plausible. I'm sorry if I came across like I was attacking you or personally challenging you or something, I know you get enough of that around here but you don't have to walk around with your fists up.

Obviously I knew your post was a tongue-in-cheek response to Drax, but I have no reason to believe you wouldn't also honestly think that about LOTR, given how much you've expressed your admiration for those films and scores. So I just responded to it....it's not like my comment means anything to me, it's a fart in the wind, but it's just irritating to be condescended to and dismissed. 

You're right, I'm trigger-happy these days because someone is always outraged over one thing or another I've said.  Should've figured you wouldn't be in on that though.  Sorry about that.

The Big Short

Pretty good, if a bit sloppy in its tone.  I felt that it should have stuck with the Carell character as its main focus as there was clearly an emotional through-line there.  The cutting between several key players worked in some cases, and didn't work in others.  Overall pretty solid.

That one annoyed me stylistically. The kinda weird hacky rhythms of the editing and the constant fourth-wall-breaking, Barry Ackroyd's "shaky cam" and constant zooming was distracting, comic timing felt slow to me and I didn't feel much of an emotional pulse. It had some interesting things to say but just could not get into it for a lot of reasons, one of the biggest examples of a film's style being a barrier for me. Maybe I'd get past some of that if I saw it again, which I don't really plan on doing anytime soon.

Gosling was funny, though. 

Qv0BPe8.gif

You're right, I'm trigger-happy these days because someone is always outraged over one thing or another I've said.  Should've figured you wouldn't be in on that though.  Sorry about that.

It's alright. I seem to outrage people when I give Independence Day Resurgence a negative review.

2001 was simply full of amazing film scores.  I would have picked FOTR as best score if I was on the academy too,  but AI and HPSS are both masterpieces too

Spotlight

It's a solid movie but its best picture win is pretty puzzling.  It feels more like a good episode of Law and Order than anything else.  Pretty solid performances all-around, excluding Mark Ruffalo's distracting "look at me I'm method acting" scenery chewing.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

2001 was simply full of amazing film scores.  I would have picked FOTR as best score if I was on the academy too,  but AI and HPSS are both masterpieces too

I would have picked Monsters Inc or A Beautiful Mind.

1 hour ago, mrbellamy said:

That one annoyed me stylistically. The kinda weird hacky rhythms of the editing and the constant fourth-wall-breaking, Barry Ackroyd's "shaky cam" and constant zooming was distracting, comic timing felt slow to me and I didn't feel much of an emotional pulse. It had some interesting things to say but just could not get into it for a lot of reasons, one of the biggest examples of a film's style being a barrier for me. Maybe I'd get past some of that if I saw it again, which I don't really plan on doing anytime soon.

Gosling was funny, though. 

Qv0BPe8.gif

I switched it off. Couldn't stand it ... Life is too short ...

That movie is so brilliant at establishing a sense of place.  Boston and its community really felt like a character in the story, as cliche as that sounds.  Which makes sense, as the "community" is sort of the villain of the story, enabling the abuse.

7 hours ago, Jay said:

LOVED Spotlight!

Actually, I don't think I've seen that one. I was probably thinking of The Big Short. That one also has Gosling.