What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

On 7/18/2016 at 9:12 AM, Jay said:

Indeed.  TDKR was wrapping filming by the time the Occupy stuff got going

They filmed in New York and New Jersey in Occupy's first throes (October-November 2011). Even though the script was finalized before it happened, Nolan probably thought it added more subtext.

---

Trainwreck

Wow. I don't know why Judd Apatow thought Amy Schumer would be the best person to star in her own script, but she's not. She doesn't have the charisma a seasoned pro like Tina Fey or Amy Poehler would imbue, and most importantly -- she can't act. That said, her script is actually clever and the rest of the cast -- including scene-stealing turns from Tilda Swinton and Lebron James -- are perfect. Such a double-edged sword. 

I liked it more than I expected too, it was good for a genre I normally avoid. I'd never heard of Schumer before, but in contrast to your feelings towards her I'd say it was as if the script was written for her especially.

I've tried watching her stand up specials and her Comedy Central show, but she doesn't come off as charismatic or funny. Hell, even Chelsea Handler would be better.

Watched Independence Day for the very first time last night. It's not a very well plotted/scripted movie. But it manages to entertain, despite everything. It's a pity Mary McDonnell has such a small role, she's by far the best actor/actress in this. There are no real characters in this. Just some figures that are set up in one scene and then get a payoff. So much for arcs. The first 50 minutes are pretty great at building up tension. It's a pity nothing after that really ever lives up to that. But then again, once you set such a massive threat almost every type of resolution seems like a cop out. The score is pretty great in context, bit overeager in places. Overall. I can see why it would become such a big hit, it's got all the ingredients that masses love so much. And I have to say some special effects sequences look pretty good in 2016.

But, as I said, it's fun. In a campy silly kind of way.

Karol

12 hours ago, crocodile said:

Watched Independence Day for the very first time last night. It's not a very well plotted/scripted movie. But it manages to entertain, despite everything. It's a pity Mary McDonnell has such a small role, she's by far the best actor/actress in this. There are no real characters in this. Just some figures that are set up in one scene and then get a payoff. So much for arcs. The first 50 minutes are pretty great at building up tension. It's a pity nothing after that really ever lives up to that. But then again, once you set such a massive threat almost every type of resolution seems like a cop out. The score is pretty great in context, bit overeager in places. Overall. I can see why it would become such a big hit, it's got all the ingredients that masses love so much. And I have to say some special effects sequences look pretty good in 2016.

But, as I said, it's fun. In a campy silly kind of way.

Karol

You have to switch off your brain because the film treats the audience as a bunch of dumbasses. That's why I was never a fan.

Nowt wrong at all with a well executed dumb movie every once in a while. Michael Bay wishes he could construct "dumb" as deftly as Emmerich did in ID4. He'll never manage it though, since to do dumb properly you need a lot of craftsman smarts. 

Harry Potter 6.

Okay, Dumbledore really has some dumb lines here: "Could be anything. Most commonplace of objects." Oh great, let's just look for Horcruxes in every dustbin, shall we? "You remember the conditions on which I brought you with me?" What does he think Harry is, a goldfish?

Then, the story. So if Harry hears all the Horcruxes in the final two films, why not in 2? Did he go and see an ear doctor in the meantime? Why not cover the entire Horcrux plotline? Oh yes, because Yates wasn't interested in Voldemort's past. Yeah, who would care about that? Why did we spend so much time with Draco pulling a sheet off a cabinet? Why not just leave it lying on the ground?

Then, the music. Yeah, it was there. The intricately woven tapestry becomes so terribly intricate here that it totally vanishes. Posssession returns again, but who is being possessed by what/whom now? Malfoy's theme is a nice idea, but then don't drop it in his vital scene, for crying out loud. There are a few notable exceptions in the score: Dumbledore's Farewell still makes me shiver and the cave music and inferi ending is great, though Possession just doesn't add up thematically, but never mind. I shudder to think, though, what Doyle would have done with the romantic cues. Also, the random chords...

And I'll say it yet again: What IS it with Yates and no music? Malfoy/Harry's duel is unscored (granted, the written music was horrible), but even the scene after Dumbledore's Farewell has no music! Some variation on Djawadi's Light of the Seven, a totally unrelated cue, would have done it all.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

So if Harry hears all the Horcruxes in the final two films, why not in 2? Did he go and see an ear doctor in the meantime? 

Obviously this was a change for the movies, but I'm fine with just saying that the connection became more potent with Voldemort's return.

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

And I'll say it yet again: What IS it with Yates and no music? Malfoy/Harry's duel is unscored (granted, the written music was horrible), but even the scene after Dumbledore's Farewell has no music! 

There are a handful of moments where I wish they had indulged a little more with the music, but both of those examples I think work perfectly without score.

Goldfinger. Nice story, although it makes no sense for Goldfinger to take Bond to Fort Knox and give him so much time to warn his fellow agents. Nice theme song and theme, but otherwise an utterly unmemorable score.

Princess Mononoke.

I love Spirited Away, and hoped for more of the same. It has many of the same ideas and very weird concepts, but ultimately I think it's far too long, with too many supporting characters and a plot that gets lost in its own creativity. The protagonist's main 'quest' seems to just be resolved as a rather incidental element, without any focus on whatever moral point they're trying to make. I think it could lose a half hour and not lose any comprehension.

Or to put it another way, I'm ready to see Spirited a third time. I'm really not fussed about seeing Princess again.

Joe Hisashi's score on the other hand, is fantastic.

I had more fun with it. It's more like the first movie (too me it felt almost like Twogy wanted to make up for Chronicles)

Pitch Black: 7/10

Chronicles Of Riddick: 3/10

Riddick: 7/10

11 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Goldfinger. Nice story, although it makes no sense for Goldfinger to take Bond to Fort Knox and give him so much time to warn his fellow agents. Nice theme song and theme, but otherwise an utterly unmemorable score.

What?! "Dawn Raid On Fort Knox" unmemorable???!!!! :o

Star Trek (2009)

A incredibly flawed nevertheless hugely entertaining blockbuster action/sci-fi film that takes aspects of Star Trek, turns them up to 11 and garnishes it with a Star Warsy-jus.

The films main problem isnt JJ's lense flares, but the script, which goes from being really clever (the plot is well thought up and the way it creates an alternate timeline is inspired) to being literally as dumb as a rock (Spock dumping Kirk on Delta Vega even though there's a brig. Kirk meeting Spock Prime by running in a cave etc etc)

Most of the well-loved characters are assigned in their traditional roles in ways that are beyond belief. Couldn't they have come up with a story where this takes place naturally?

Also, being younger versions from an alternate timeline means that some liberties are taken with the characters which feels off. These are after all archetypes.

Sulu not being able to properly take The Enterprise into warp is as bad as Scotty bumping his head in V. And while Pine is excellent in the role, he's playing a character that is indeed inspired more by Han Solo and Tom Cruise from Top Gun rather then James Tiberius Kirk, who could indeed be reckless, but was never a rebel.

On the other hand, Quinto's Spock becoming enraged and beating Kirk, then calmly deducing that he is emotionally compromised and giving up command is pure Spock, so at times they do get things very right.

Reviewing this film (again) one could (again) list all the things that are ridiculous against all the things that are really good. But on the whole I like this film. It feels both like and unlike Star Trek. It certainly got rid of the stale and stuffiness that the franchise had acquired. It looks great, the cast is excellent, it's exciting, the score sorta works (though it;s ridiculously over the top).

Also it has Neil S. Bulk in it....

Crimes and Misdemeanors

Probably my favorite Allen.  Makes a fantastic juxtaposition with Hannah and Her Sisters (which I watched last weekend), his other greatest movie, since C&M has one of his darkest endings and HAHS has one of his brightest.  Every performer is fantastic.  Martin Landau brings such gravitas and an odd likability to who is ultimately an evil person. It's great to see Alan Alda playing an absolute dick in his best film role.  Allen himself is really funny as the filmmaker with scruples stooping to make a documentary on Alda.  Farrow has a bit of a thankless role but her romance with Allen was actually very touching (until the end of course).  And finally, this is one Anjelica Huston's greatest performances in a supporting role.  She took what could have been a one-note character and really injected a sense of humanity and nuance into her (despite the script, honestly).

The use of the Schubert string quartet is one of my personal favorite uses of classical music in a film ever.  Also, it's amusing given their later roles in Law & Order to see Sam Waterston and Jerry Orbach play embodiments of opposite philosophical viewpoints for Landau's character.

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

I like your review, but "Manhattan" remains his masterpiece

Have you seen Alda in "The Seduction Of Joe Tynan"?

I have not seen that Alda movie.

I think Manhattan is definitely his visual masterpiece but to me, in terms of themes and characters, Crimes and Misdemeanors has it beat.

My very personal top 5 Allen:

1. Crimes and Misdemeanors

2. Hannah and Her Sisters

3. Radio Days

4. Another Woman

5. Manhattan

(I debated between Manhattan and The Purple Rose of Cairo for 5th)

Christopher Plummer as a Klingon, why not?

Yesterday I watched Star Trek VI for the first time and I loved it!

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I had more fun with it. It's more like the first movie (too me it felt almost like Twogy wanted to make up for Chronicles)

Pitch Black: 7/10

Chronicles Of Riddick: 3/10

Riddick: 7/10

Maybe I need to watch it again when I'm not so tired and keep falling asleep. I missed when Riddick's dog exited the story. I didn't understand how the storyline went from sealing himself in the casket to heal, to flashback, and then caught up to being healed. It did have moments of coolness, like the five second death promise. I feel cheated because it was free using FiOS on demand, so it was full frame, included commercial breaks, and had all the swear words dubbed over. 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

I have not seen that Alda movie.

I think Manhattan is definitely his visual masterpiece but to me, in terms of themes and characters, Crimes and Misdemeanors has it beat.

My very personal top 5 Allen:

1. Crimes and Misdemeanors

2. Hannah and Her Sisters

3. Radio Days

4. Another Woman

5. Manhattan

(I debated between Manhattan and The Purple Rose of Cairo for 5th)

Not a typical top 5: I like that.

No love for "Shadows And Fog"?

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Not a typical top 5: I like that.

No love for "Shadows And Fog"?

My general opinion on his early-90s work is that they were all great and interesting but not really up to par with the 70s and 80s.  Alice, Shadows and Fog, Husbands and Wives, Manhattan Murder Mystery, and Bullets Over Broadway all get a :thumbup: from me!

And, I've had this discussion elsewhere here, but for me Mighty Aphrodite was his first just straight-up bad movie, maybe ever.  It's that movie that started his current period of hits and misses, mostly misses.

EDIT: Although now that I'm looking at his filmography, I do really like some of those later 90s movies.  Everyone Says I Love YouDeconstructing HarrySweet and Lowdown, and Small Time Crooks all vary from pretty good to diverting/inoffensive.

Star Trek Into Darkness

The least of the current three, yet not without merit. Like the 2009 film there are things they got just right, and things they really didnt get right at all.

But while Star Trek went from being very inventive to being incredibly dumb from one scene to another, this script is overall more measured and consistent, but has flaws that run deeper.

If you just created an anternate timeline, the dumbest thing to do is a mixture of TWOK and Space See, and thats exacly what they did. Complete with a moronic reverse death scene where Kurk dies...even though he doesnt, and Spock screams the KHAAAAANNNN internet meme and then beats Benedict Cumberbatch to a blind pulp, temporarily ignoring the pacifist nature of the Vulan race in general. add to that that Carol Marcus is there for little other reason that plot requirements and to show of the fantastic body of Alice Eve for one shot.

star-trek-lg.jpg

Yet despite the writers of Transformers 2 and Prometheus manage to not completely screw up and present us with a central plot that's perfectly decent (mainly because its lifted mostly from DS9) and that JJ is a director who does manage to keep his audience engaged by casting very well and moving the story along is a good pace. (Cumberbatch is an interesting choice for Khan and despite the fact that there's not a hint of subtlety in the portrayal it works. Peter Weller simply looks terrifying!

It's one of the lesser ones for sure. But still perfectly entertaining.

Saw London has Fallen. A bad film but a very entertaining one. 

I've read that disc has audio issues and anomalous video loops. A ton of bad reviews at Amazon, hence a huge price cut. I hope it's fixed for you. 

I see the same coupon on the front that I used for two tix to Beyond. 

Why is Spock's death scene one of the only things that can and always does make me cry? What is it about it? We even know he's coming back in the next one. That scene is the essence of Star Trek. We love the speculative technology, the alien races, the social and political commentary, the great stories that get are brains working, the big symphonic scores by Jerry Goldsmith, James Horner et al. But when you get down to it, Star Trek is basically that scene. Their friendship. That is everything.

7 hours ago, WojinPA said:

I've read that disc has audio issues and anomalous video loops. A ton of bad reviews at Amazon, hence a huge price cut. I hope it's fixed for you. 

Wow, really?  The early reviews I had read said the new disc was great!  I'll have to read up on things.

OK, some of the reviewers at Amazon conclude that Meyer's decision to remove some dialog amounts to an error, but they do mention other glitches.