What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

But doesn't the new disc include the theatrical version too, exactly as its always been?  Or was dialogue changed in both cuts?

1 hour ago, WojinPA said:

OK, some of the reviewers at Amazon conclude that Meyer's decision to remove some dialog amounts to an error, but they do mention other glitches. 

The only issue I noticed was that when Sulu reminds Saavik not to enter the zone in the opening scene, there's a static shot of him facing forward as he speaks. You can get a replacement from Paramount.

23 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Star Trek Into Darkness

The least of the current three, yet not without merit. Like the 2009 film there are things they got just right, and things they really didnt get right at all.

But while Star Trek went from being very inventive to being incredibly dumb from one scene to another, this script is overall more measured and consistent, but has flaws that run deeper.

If you just created an anternate timeline, the dumbest thing to do is a mixture of TWOK and Space See, and thats exacly what they did. Complete with a moronic reverse death scene where Kurk dies...even though he doesnt, and Spock screams the KHAAAAANNNN internet meme and then beats Benedict Cumberbatch to a blind pulp, temporarily ignoring the pacifist nature of the Vulan race in general. add to that that Carol Marcus is there for little other reason that plot requirements and to show of the fantastic body of Alice Eve for one shot.

star-trek-lg.jpg

Yet despite the writers of Transformers 2 and Prometheus manage to not completely screw up and present us with a central plot that's perfectly decent (mainly because its lifted mostly from DS9) and that JJ is a director who does manage to keep his audience engaged by casting very well and moving the story along is a good pace. (Cumberbatch is an interesting choice for Khan and despite the fact that there's not a hint of subtlety in the portrayal it works. Peter Weller simply looks terrifying!

It's one of the lesser ones for sure. But still perfectly entertaining.

Yeah, the decision to partially retread Wrath Of Khan was a strange one ... older fans were pissed off/saying 'Umm, isn't this an ALTERNATE timeline?' whereas ones who came to the franchise anew with the '09 movie didn't understand Khan's significance to Trek. 

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

It's a very flawed film.

That it definitely is. But it has such a bad reputation that I expected something infinitely worse.

Karol

9 hours ago, crocodile said:

Star Trek: Generations. Oh dear.

No, it's not as bad as I thought.

Karol

I love it.

I wish all the movies would get the kind of treatment that Wrath of Khan got, minus the technical issues. The 4K remaster is wonderful, but it's really all the other movies that need a remaster. We want a director's cut of Star Trek V!

14 minutes ago, Shatner's Rug said:

The way TWOK gets treated like royalty, you'd think no other Star Trek movies were ever made!

Considering all the other ones were just repackaged in all their DNR'd horror for the 50th, I can only assume that TWOK remaster was an apology to the fans for the butchering of the story and characters in Star Trek Into Darkness.

On 24-7-2016 at 5:37 PM, Richard said:

What about films that Allen starred in, but did not write, or direct?

"The Front" is good, as is "Fading Gigolo".

Indeed, Richard, I Iike Fading Gigolo too. Haven't seen The Front. The worst Allen movie? Midnight In Paris maybe? The best 'recent' Allen? Match Point?

Alex

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Indeed, Richard, I Iike Fading Gigolo too. Haven't seen The Front. The worst Allen movie? Midnight In Paris maybe? The best 'recent' Allen? Match Point?

Alex

For worst, I hated From Rome With Love so much. 

I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel last night for the 6th or 7th time.  There are so many things I love about that movie but one that really struck me with this re-watch is that I take an odd pleasure in watching very fastidious characters enforce their exacting standards.  It's part of the reason I also love The Remains of the Day or Jiro Dreams of Sushi. It's great watching people who are experts at a specific service.  M. Gustave is an instant classic screen character.

Yeah it was great to see a Wes Anderson movie where the focus was actually on an original score instead of licensed music.  Not to disrespect his past use of licensed music, he's the best since Scorsese at creating pop song soundtracks.

For me it's either Moonrise Kingdom or The Royal Tenenbaums but in truth I love them all fairly equally.  If the narrative or the characters of a particular Anderson film don't hold my attention I'm always perfectly content to luxuriate in the details.

The English Teacher. Mostly liked Julianne Moore and the story, but especially Nathan Lane was great. The score was all right, except for a really awkward electronic instrument.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

I'm watching "Star Trek: Nemesis", at the moment. I know it's not fashionable to say this, but, like a long and dangerous climb, I really get off on this film. 

I'm a fan. Its derivative as hell and flawed. But it works for me.

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

For me it's either Moonrise Kingdom or The Royal Tenenbaums but in truth I love them all fairly equally.  If the narrative or the characters of a particular Anderson film don't hold my attention I'm always perfectly content to luxuriate in the details.

I'm very fond of The Royal Tenenbaums as well, but but it's hard for me to pick one of his films as my favorite. They're all brilliant, but if you asked me to pick my least favorite, that would easily be Bottle Rocket (still a fantastic film).

6 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I'm a fan. Its derivative as hell and flawed. But it works for me.

Some ideals are worth dying for, aren't they Jean-Luc?

We can't hate it. It's the last time the TNG cast all appeared together, for better or worse and the last time our dearly departed Jerry Goldsmith scored the Trek.

I generally enjoy Wes Anderson films, including Grand Budapest Hotel, but none of them have ever set my world alight. They're charming little oddities at most. 

I watched the largely forgotten Woody Allen movie Scoop last night.  It's sort of oddly underrated for late-period weak Woody Allen.  I'm not going to argue with anyone who doesn't like it, but I find it a satisfying trifle to watch.  It has most of the same dialogue problems that other recent Allen movies do, but it all comes across a charming romp here.  I enjoy Hugh Jackman as the murderous charmer and I'd actually argue that this is one of Woody Allen's strongest performances as the neurotic magician with a heart of gold who becomes a father figure to Scarlett Johannsson.  Plus, the plot is so utterly ridiculous.

It's like eating whipped cream by itself, metaphorically speaking.

I've always wanted to see that one.  Found it funny that Johannsson and Jackman made two magician movies together in the same year

Forrest Gump. So endearing! Perhaps a bit sentimental and far-fetched at times, but what the hell. And the SCORE! those running cues were just... amazing. I'm surprised they didn't make more of an impression on me when they played them live in Ghent during the World Soundtrack Awards last year. Simply trascending, and yes, way better than a box of chocolates...

12 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I watched the largely forgotten Woody Allen movie Scoop last night.  It's sort of oddly underrated for late-period weak Woody Allen.  I'm not going to argue with anyone who doesn't like it, but I find it a satisfying trifle to watch.  It has most of the same dialogue problems that other recent Allen movies do, but it all comes across a charming romp here.  I enjoy Hugh Jackman as the murderous charmer and I'd actually argue that this is one of Woody Allen's strongest performances as the neurotic magician with a heart of gold who becomes a father figure to Scarlett Johannsson.  Plus, the plot is so utterly ridiculous.

It's like eating whipped cream by itself, metaphorically speaking.

I like this one too. Thoughts on Cassandra's Dream? It's kinda a lesser version of Match Point but I dig Colin Farrell's performance and it's one of the only instances of Philip Glass I can tolerate. 

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part 1.

I really, really liked it this time! Way better than I remembered it. Very intense, mostly fast-paced and well-acted. A few issues remain:

- Radcliffe really sucks. Apparently he doesn't only have the same expression on his face throughout the entire film, he mostly sounds the same as well: moody and bitter. Kind of makes you wonder why everyone likes him that much.

- Yates still doesn't really know how to handle music (Ron Splinched, Hermione crying over Ron's departure etc are unscored, which really kills the mood for me, but maybe the images speak for themselves).

- Yates implies so much but tells us so little. The entire Deathly Hallows story is vaguely suggested, Mundungus Fletcher isn't handled properly, same goes for Harry's animosity towards Kreacher (but then again, he hates everyone here, so...)

Depslat's score really impressed me this time. Not only did he bring back the magic, he created lots of memorable themes and handled them extremely well too. Even Hermione has a theme in this score. Only the synthetic bass makes my head ache.

Part 2 tomorrow.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, part 2.

Again, I'm surprised how much I liked it. I suppose the key is forgetting everything you know about the book.

Story-wise, things are all right, but the Deathly Hallows story remains elusive. How did Dumbledore get the Resurrection Stone, did he buy it in a local shop? Kloves included the answer in his script! Also, a much more glaring mistake occurs in the flashback sequence: we hear Trelawney's prophecy about Pettigrew returning to Voldemort instead of the one where she predicts Voldemort's rival will be born soon. As abook reader, this is really irritating to listen to. As a non-book reader, it'll probably sound utterly incomprehensible. Then again, the first prophecy in film 5 was totally misrepresented and Thompson delivered the second one much more dramatic in 3, so.... And it sounds pretty good mixed with Desplat's music as well. And, again, I hate those unscored moments that should have been scored: especially the scene after Voldemort's death sounds raw and unfinished, and for the love of God, whoever would not score the trio's goodbye after the memory sequence?

Talking about sound and Desplat, whoever did the sound mixing for films 7 and 8 really knew what he was doing. At last, the six channels are used to their full extent. Desplat's score was a pleasant rediscovery again, though I missed the Trio's theme and its few references were sometimes difficult to place and the disappearance of the villain theme is stupid too.

All in all, it's difficult to say which films I like the most. Nevertheless, a vain attempt folllows: 4, 3, 7, 8, 1, 6, 2, 5. I won't even try to justify that choice as they all have good and bad moments.

Sleepy Hollow 

I love this movie! What a cool mashup of Gothic horror/romance, detective story, and American folklore. 

One of the last great Burton movies; certainly one of the last where Burtonesque visuals created effective atmosphere instead of eyerolls. It's a movie where I find myself saying out loud, "Geez what a gorgeous set!" 

It's also one of my 4 or 5 favorite Elfman scores.