What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I saw Under the Skin in the theater and it made me so viscerally uncomfortable that all I really know is that I never want to see it again.  I honestly don't even know if I can categorize my reaction as positive or negative, it just is.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

That's just a noise. Why not tell us what you really think without trying to be more eloquent or intelligent then you really are?

That is what I really think and why I was disappointed. 

Alex

59 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I saw Under the Skin in the theater and it made me so viscerally uncomfortable that all I really know is that I never want to see it again.  I honestly don't even know if I can categorize my reaction as positive or negative, it just is.

This was my reaction as well, but I'm sure it was positive.  

I do kind of want to see it again now. 

56 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Your reaction was exactly what the film demanded. "Under The Skin" is a stunning achievement, and a very "human" film. Difficult to watch? Made you uncomfortable? You betcha! Doesn't mean it's a bad film. "Thou Shalt Not Kill" is very uncomfortable. It's also very good.

Shout out to Micachu's score for the film which is a huge part of creating the viscerally uncomfortable atmosphere of the movie.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Your reaction was exactly what the film demanded. "Under The Skin" is a stunning achievement, and a very "human" film. Difficult to watch? Made you uncomfortable? You betcha! Doesn't mean it's a bad film. "Thou Shalt Not Kill" is very uncomfortable. It's also very good.

And you might notice I very pointedly avoided calling it a bad film.  I'm also not sure I'd call it a great one, but it was certainly a real, physical experience.  A rare feat for a movie.

In these days of casual violence, and destruction, where the world of cinema continually does its best to celebrate mediocrity, and negativism, a film such as "UTS" provides audiences with the chance to think, to react, and, most importantly, to engage, with cinema, both as an art-form, and as a mode of entertainment. We need more films like "UTS". To paraphrase Marius Goering:  "we are starved of Technicolor, down here".

Make no mistake;  " UTS"  IS a great film.

I appreciate its ambition in an industry that prioritizes safety above all else and I'm glad I saw it. I don't think it's some kind of amazing, eternal achievement for the ages.

It will deservedly inhabit a "cult classic" status in years to come I think.

Avatar. It is the first time I've watched it since 25th of December 2009. It holds up quite well actually, in terms of effects. Not many films do age as well.. The script is, of course, painfully average. The dialogue is mostly cliched and horrible. It's basically not any different from George Lucas circa 1980's. There is absolutely nothing clever or good about it. But... Cameron is a master big screen spectacle director. His skill in orchestrating the visual feast for masses is almost unparalleled. The film is ENTIRELY made by his directing skills. The way in which he manages to envelop a viewer visually in this, otherwise entirely cliched, journey is quite amazing. Even after almost 7 years, and on small screen, it still feels like an event.

Karol

Oh I don't know Stefan. Nolan seems to be doing quite well, both critically and financially. But it is a very different sensibility, and he does have some issues.

I watched the longest cut, Jay. The cheap used Blu-ray I got has 3 different ones.

Karol

Right back at ya!

A few years back, I saw a restoration of "The Red Shoes", at my local art house cinema. It took me several days to recover, for I knew that I had been in the presence of pure cinematic perfection. It was a sublime, cleansing experience. How could I go home and watch what I wanted to watch, after that? How could I follow it? It's a question that I still ask, to this day.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Cameron is the closest modern Demille impersonation we got.

Exactly! And Avatar is hilariously clunky in terms of storytelling. But, for whatever reason, it works as a spectacle.

Karol

11 minutes ago, Richard said:

Right back at ya!

A few years back, I saw a restoration of "The Red Shoes", at my local art house cinema. It took me several days to recover, for I knew that I had been in the presence of pure cinematic perfection. It was a sublime, cleansing experience. How could I go home and watch what I wanted to watch, after that? How could I follow it? It's a question that I still ask, to this day.

Pretty much. Still have yet to see any of the Archers on a big screen....almost had a chance, I think it was Colonel Blimp in Chicago but alas. One day!

Powell & Pressburger may well be for me the greatest. 

It's been more than 10 years, but doesn't Sphere show promise early on but then go pear shaped very quickly? I vaguely remember being irritated that it ruined what was a fascinating pitch. 

Sharon Stone's goofy delivery when they set out on the walk to the wreck is the first moment when I remember how crummy it's going to get.

That being said I'd like to get spanked by Sharon Stone.

6 hours ago, Lonnegan said:

It's been more than 10 years, but doesn't Sphere show promise early on but then go pear shaped very quickly? I vaguely remember being irritated that it ruined what was a fascinating pitch. 

The books is really, really entertaining