What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I'm on heavy medications and just awoke from sleep for reasons I cannot disclose, but I awoke to Star Trek: The Motion Picture: The Director's Edition being broadcast on Epix HD.  Maybe it's "fake" upscaled HD, but it looks pretty amazing and I'm positive it's the DVD version. The title and info confirm it. So we have an HD version of this now?

The title and info of your guide may have said Director's Edition, BUT did you watch it long enough to see a scene that only exists in that version to completely confirm?

The Shawshank Redemption 

I'm glad I was convinced (by Thor and Inky?) to revisit this. It really is a great film even if it is the film people who don't like films say is their favourite film. It's hard to find much wrong with it and the score has really grown on me as I've listened to it over the last few days. Might pick up that LLL release in January. 

Mission: Impossible 

A typical 3/5. Lots of fun while watching but doesn't stay in the mind for long after. Looking at it now it kinda feels like a made for TV movie. Score is a lot of fun. (Jay and someone else was talking about the score so I watched this and had a listen). I prefer a lot of Elfman's other stuff but it works really well in the film. 

Did he rework the main theme or was it the U2?

All the Mission: Impossible theme occurrences within the film itself are Elfman's arrangements and part of his film score.  2 of the guys from U2 also did a cover of the theme, I think it plays at some point in the end credits and it was also released as a single

Cool! Thanks guys. Didn't know where The U2 rework thing sat in the whole thing. 

I think it was Adam Clayton and the Edge that were the 2.

The first film is stupid, but fun, with a ton of great actors.  The score is awesome!

The second film is garbage, a total waste of time (though anything with Lizzy Caplan is worth watching once).  The score is REALLY awesome, possibly better than the first.  Sleight of Hand is the track of the year!

Jurassic World. I have a confession to make: I enjoy this film. It's not exactly great and feels like another modern blockbuster with no real personality. Yes, it does try to cram in as much of stuff as possible, and it is sometimes over-referential. And yes, not enough practical effects. But it's still an enjoyable ride, I've watched it for the first time since its cinema release and it hasn't changed my opinion. If I can enjoy The Force Awakens, why shouldn't I enjoy this one? They're both essentially the same thing. And, again, this is one of the Giacchino scores that absolutely needs a complete release. Yes, the main theme is very lackluster but the remaining material and secondary themes are all pretty strong. Some of the best action writing in Gia's career as well.

Karol

The Jungle Book remake.  Completely pointless and seemed more like a visual effects demo reel.  The score was generic and boring (I already thought this having listened to the OST earlier this year, the movie didn't change my mind) outside of the references to the original.

High Plains Drifter 

It's rare to watch a movie where every single character is so unlikeable, save maybe one, the dwarf. The protagonist does bad things in his first few minutes even if you think he's the same mysterious stranger from earlier westerns. The townsfolk all have blood on their hands and of course the correct villains do villainy things. Over time, the mysterious stranger's actions become funny as you realize he's mad trolling the town.  I remember that I need to watch more works with Geoffrey Lewis. 

The Da Vinci Code. A few random observations:

- Haven't watched this in 10 years and enjoyed it so much more now.

- Silas is such a tragic character and I couldn't even blame him for anything in the end.

- The score is great. I wonder whether anyone has ever determined what all the themes stand for.

- Audrey's French acent is annoying.

- McKellen's Oxford English is DELICIOUS. So unfortunate he had to be the bad guy.

- How does Teabing grab all these books so fast (isn't he supposed to have severe walking difficulties?) and why is he so well-prepared to give anyone a crash course in Grail history? Amazing teaching capabilities there.

ALIEN. Always great to revisit. Love Ian Holm's performance.

And I'm currently watching HOME ALONE 2. It's simple, but fun. Includes a great score, too. Can't remember the name of the composer, though. ;)

On 3.12.2016 at 1:55 AM, Disco Stu said:

The Jungle Book remake.  Completely pointless and seemed more like a visual effects demo reel.  

How could that be? Bespin cried through that movie.

9 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

The Da Vinci Code

The TV was on, but I was not watching, and my guess it was some Potter movie that was playing. It goes to show once more that that Hollywood is enforcing a formulaic form of storytelling upon the young and old. 

16 hours ago, petaQ said:

High Plains Drifter 

It's rare to watch a movie where every single character is so unlikeable, save maybe one, the dwarf. The protagonist does bad things in his first few minutes even if you think he's the same mysterious stranger from earlier westerns. The townsfolk all have blood on their hands and of course the correct villains do villainy things. Over time, the mysterious stranger's actions become funny as you realize he's mad trolling the town.  I remember that I need to watch more works with Geoffrey Lewis. 

Another post about a movie Wojo hasn't seen blah blah blah. 

Oh wait - oops! My bad, an easy mistake to make! 

Made the mistake of watching it in the cinema. It just kept going and going and going and going. Felt like it was four hours.

Zimmer's droning didn't help as I didn't even have any music to latch on to. 

8 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

The Dark Knight Rises

Entertaining as hell despite numerous flaws.  

Flaws that you saw but Nolan didn't? You should be a director and show them how it's done! ;)

I don't do that. Just because something doesn't appeal to me doesn't mean it's a flaw. Of course, one could consider a plot hole a flaw but I'm not the kind of viewer that keeps looking for plot holes. 

Reverend crocs once thought that my movie ratings meant that I was seeing one flaw after another. I had to explain to him that my ratings only had to do with my personal enjoyment or how well a movie is able to captivate my mind. Art can be looked upon as a series of stylistic and creative choices. Some are able to please you, other can leave you cold.

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Yes! To Netflix! To Netflix!

Are there any other movies out there that don't necessarily appeal to me but are otherwise flawless, then? I'll add them to my list.

For example, Mad Max. A flawless movie, but it sadly didn't appeal to me personally. Maybe I should have just made it myself. 

Suppose that you sit in a bar and the person next to you happens to be Christopher Nolan ... Are you gonna say to him: "Man, your movies are flawed" or will you say "To be honest, your movies are not always my style?"

Exactly!