What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Oh man, all these flawless movies I'm missing out on. Attack of the Clones, Titanic, Prometheus, Battlefield Earth, Avatar - all just because of my own bothersome personal taste getting in the way. All just because they're not my style. It's a damn shame.  

I loved Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but found The Dark Knight Rises boring, tediuous, and nonsensical.

I'm still waiting for a Batman movie to be as fun and interesting as the Burton ones.  But I realize that, at this point, this is the most tired and useless debate on the internet.

34 minutes ago, Jay said:

I loved Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, but found The Dark Knight Rises boring, tediuous, and nonsensical.

That's your problem, unless you want to do better  

7 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Nolan is competent and makes entertaining films.  He's only a notch or two above the likes of J.J Abrams.

He provides immensely more emotional substance than Abrams has ever conjured.  

4 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

My favorite director currently working is Wes Anderson. Draw whatever conclusions about my character and taste you want from that.

He's good!

For giggles, My Favorite Films 2010-2015:

1. Moonrise Kingdom

2. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

3. Lincoln

4. Inside Llewyn Davis

5. The Grand Budapest Hotel

6. Nightcrawler

7. Spotlight

8. The Tree of Life

9. Mad Max: Fury Road

10. Before Midnight

11. Brooklyn

12. Django Unchained

13. Edge of Tomorrow

14. Selma

15. The Wolf of Wall Street

My taste isn't very avant garde, essentially I'd describe it as "The Interesting Films That Manage to Slip Out of Hollywood."

That top 5 especially is etched in stone, I'm fully in love with all 5.

Just now, Jay said:

Needs more Blue Ruin and Under the Skin

God I loved Blue Ruin and Green Room a lot.  Under the Skin is an experience I'm glad I had and amazed it got made, but I'd hardly call it one of my favorites.

Another runner-up would be A Single Man with Colin Firth, Nicholas Hoult, and Julianne Moore.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

For giggles, My Favorite Films 2011-2016:

1. Moonrise Kingdom

2. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

3. Lincoln

4. Inside Llewyn Davis

5. The Grand Budapest Hotel

6. Nightcrawler

7. Spotlight

8. The Tree of Life

9. Mad Max: Fury Road

10. Before Midnight

11. Brooklyn

12. Django Unchained

13. Edge of Tomorrow

14. Selma

15. The Wolf of Wall Street

My tastes aren't very avant garde, essentially I'd describe it as "The Interesting Films That Manage to Slip Out of Hollywood."

Would watch any of them before another Nolan movie.

Also, having seen 2 of his 3 movies, I'd put Steve McQueen above Nolan also. 

4 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Would watch any of them before another Nolan movie.

Also, having seen 2 of his 3 movies, is out Steve McQueen above Nolan also. 

12 Years a Slave is another runner-up! The performances especially amazed me in that one. Ejiofor, Fassbender, N'yongo were so great.

I think I'm gonna make this a thread.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

12 Years a Slave is another runner-up! The performances especially amazed me in that one. Ejiofor, Fassbender, N'yongo were so great.

Powerful and affecting film. 

Hunger was also magnificent but I've not seen the one with Fassbender's lad. I assume it's also a brilliant film. 

10 minutes ago, Barnald said:

On that basis alone?

Onbthe basis of the two films I've seen. 

Female friends were full of praise for Fassbender Jr though. 

After Poseidon Adventure last week onto Towering Inferno

the last Allen before it all went awry. Not the best movie ever made but entertaining and with a good cast. Indeed, as much as I'm sure he hated it, I quite like McQueen in the film -his 'this is bullshit' expression during the countdown at the end or generally. ("It's out of control and coming your way"). Probably just as well there never was a sequel though part of me likes the idea of Raquel Welch having been in the film as much as Faye Dunaway looked dynamite.

And, needless to say, a good score to boot.

19 hours ago, Strangways said:

After Poseidon Adventure last week onto Towering Inferno

the last Allen before it all went awry. Not the best movie ever made but entertaining and with a good cast. Indeed, as much as I'm sure he hated it, I quite like McQueen in the film -his 'this is bullshit' expression during the countdown at the end or generally. ("It's out of control and coming your way"). Probably just as well there never was a sequel though part of me likes the idea of Raquel Welch having been in the film as much as Faye Dunaway looked dynamite.

And, needless to say, a good score to boot.

Its a "fuck off" score. End of.

TTI doesn't have the character sparks that TPA has, but it beats it hands down for sheer spectacle.

It thoroughly deserved its Oscars for cinematography, and editing.

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The Accidental Tourist

I could barely finish it. Turgid and grotesque. Yuck yuck. I already own the Williams soundtrack which is very nice, no thanks to the clunker of a film.

You're turgid and grotesque! 

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

This has been on TV a lot lately, so I've been watching it in between much better films. I really do like Batfleck. I mean, at least he kills people and he has a cool Alfred. The fight scene between Batman and Superman is laughable. They fight in a bathroom. Superman throws Batman through the stalls. Batman slowly carries a sink and smashes it over Superman's head. It's so awkward and hilarious, but I guess it delivers what it promises. The rest of it is mostly boring and especially awful once the ugly CGI monster shows up. But then, out of nowhere, immediately after the big fight ends, what turns out to be the real fight of the movie begins. Batfleck swoops in in the Batwing (or whatever they're calling it these days) and unleashes an incredible arsenal of automatic weaponry on thugs, including one who looks like JWFan's own Stefancos. He then proceeds to kick and murder the shit out of everyone, and it's fantastic.

b8nyj9.jpg

"Thermal imaging is showing two dozen JWFanners on the third floor. Why don't I drop you off on the second?"

Notes on a scandal.

It was eitehr that one or the Green Zone, but apparently this one was better. And how captivating it was too... I really don't understand what he fuss is all about, it's not a bad story, but other than that... Incidentally, Judi Dench has such an unattractive voice.

As for the score, I suspected I wouldn't like it and was not disappointed. Overscored, too much focus on the dramatic part and not on the romance, and repetitive too.

Pff, should have watched the green zone. Note to self: never trust Rotten Tomatoes.

On 07/12/2016 at 1:58 AM, Disco Stu said:

The Accidental Tourist

I could barely finish it. Turgid and grotesque. Yuck yuck. I already own the Williams soundtrack which is very nice, no thanks to the clunker of a film.

It's understated, and quietly beautiful.

When I first saw it, I didn't like it, then I went through a messy and acrimonious divorce and I started to identify with Macon Leary (anyone who says their divorce was "amicable" is a fucking liar!). Since then, this film has grown in my heart, and now I just love its pensiveness, its shyness, its yearning for some sort of absolution. Leary is so locked-in, he won't even allow himself to look beyond the contents of his own (carry-on) suitcase. It takes Muriel (and, to a lesser extent, Rose and Julian) to make him truly believe in himself, again. Yeah, he lost his son, but it didn't have to be the end. Muriel brought him back to life. 

This isn't TFA: to an extent, one has to live this film, to appreciate it. I hadn't, then; I bloody well have now!

49 minutes ago, Richard said:

It's understated, and quietly beautiful.

When I first saw it, I didn't like it, then I went through a messy and acrimonious divorce and I started to identify with Macon Leary (anyone who says their divorce was "amicable" is a fucking liar!). Since then, this film has grown in my heart, and now I just love its pensiveness, its shyness, its yearning for some sort of absolution. Leary is so locked-in, he won't even allow himself to look beyond the contents of his own (carry-on) suitcase. It takes Muriel (and, to a lesser extent, Rose and Julian) to make him truly believe in himself, again. Yeah, he lost his son, but it didn't have to be the end. Muriel brought him back to life. 

This isn't TFA: to an extent, one has to live this film, to appreciate it. I hadn't, then; I bloody well have now!

It was the weirdly removed-from-reality quirkiness of the characters that didn't sit right with me. It was such a somber film that with Bill Pullman, David Ogden Stiers, and company the tone just felt off.

Minority Report

I really, really liked this. It's very noir and offers interesting aspects of the film's main themes. Like A.I., it's a movie that deals with heady concepts, yet strives to feed discussion rather than offer simple answers (something you might not expect from a Steven Spielberg summer film). Spielberg's action setpieces are almost out of place in their exuberance amidst the more slow-moving plot that deals with such things as free will, destiny and the true results of pre-emptive incarcerations. Could it be this film was just misguidedly marketed as a Tom Cruise summer action blockbuster, while there's actually a lot more going on?

American Psycho II: All American Girl

Complete and utter shit. I had zero expectations for this, but I had hoped it would at least be of the so-bad-it's-good variety. It's not. It's just awful. Blegh.

Zootropolis

Fantastic film. Don't let the talking animals fool you. This is a film about prejudice, racism, and racial profiling and in today's society, it is almost frighteningly topical. This film just became one of my favorite films of 2016.

Departures:

departures_ver2_xlg.jpg

Starts okay but after a while it drowns in incredible sentimentality, like somebody suddenly has put 5 sugar cubes in my coffee. Some of the music was fine, especially during the ceremonies. 3/10

1 hour ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Minority Report

I really, really liked this. It's very noir and offers interesting aspects of the film's main themes. Like A.I., it's a movie that deals with heady concepts, yet strives to feed discussion rather than offer simple answers (something you might not expect from a Steven Spielberg summer film). Spielberg's action setpieces are almost out of place in their exuberance amidst the more slow-moving plot that deals with such things as free will, destiny and the true results of pre-emptive incarcerations. Could it be this film was just misguidedly marketed as a Tom Cruise summer action blockbuster, while there's actually a lot more going on?

I don't think it ever fully convinces me, but there's a lot about it that I like. The part where all the murder plot strains come together, especially the cinematography and editing, seem very De Palma-ish to me.