What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Also, I just realised, in part three, how is that Doc doesn't know who Clara is when Marty arrives in 1885? Since 1955 Doc knew it, shouldn't the other one know her as well, or is that because 1885 Doc came from a different reality and isn't able to know what his counterpart does, or does Doc just like screwing with Marty?

Bolle, mate, you're just not thinking fourth-dimensionally.

In Harm's Way

I've owned the DVD since shortly after Intrada released the soundtrack a few years ago, but didn't watch it until last night. I was expecting more about the actual attack on Pearl Harbor, which occurs in the first fifteen minutes of this 167 war epic. From there, it's hard to tell the US is still at war because the naval officers keep partying and having fun and personal relationships. These interactions are important for shaping John Wayne's character and his associates, considering their fates by the end of the battles to come, battles I had not learned about in history class. MacArthur got the better press coverage, I suppose. It's an interesting movie I suppose, but I don't imagine I'll watch it again for a long time. Definitely includes a lot of familiar faces from the time in roles big and small. 

Starship Troopers

Fun as ever. 1997 was a hell of a year for visual effects between this, Titanic and The Lost World: Jurassic Park. I don't think they've ever been better.

14 hours ago, petaQ said:

In Harm's Way

One of Otto Preminger's never-ending talkfests from the 60's. It's not as bad as 'Exodus' and 'The Cardinal' but it comes close. The model ships also looked rather bad, right?

12 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

Starship Troopers

Fun as ever. 1997 was a hell of a year for visual effects between this, Titanic and The Lost World: Jurassic Park. I don't think they've ever been better.

Yes, special effects, blah, blah, blah, but did you get the political commentary on the U.S.? 

3 hours ago, publicist said:

One of Otto Preminger's never-ending talkfests from the 60's. It's not as bad as 'Exodus' and 'The Cardinal' but it comes close. The model ships also looked rather bad, right?

It took me a while to realize that's why they filmed so many ship scenes in near total darkness, particularly the Japanese ships: so you would not notice the lack of people on the decks. 

The Sugarland Express

Spielberg's feature film debut, a very enjoyable, if slight, film.  The relationship that grows between the fugitives and their hostage was the highlight, but the dynamic between them and the Texas state trooper captain was also great.  I loved all the cool visual/audio stuff Spielberg did with the radio communication between the cars.

Williams' score is really enjoyable, even if the film is conservatively spotted.  I loved when it got especially "countryfied" with the shuffling percussion, acoustic guitar, harmonica, and lap steel guitar all together!

20 hours ago, petaQ said:

In Harm's Way

I've owned the DVD since shortly after Intrada released the soundtrack a few years ago, but didn't watch it until last night. I was expecting more about the actual attack on Pearl Harbor, which occurs in the first fifteen minutes of this 167 war epic. From there, it's hard to tell the US is still at war because the naval officers keep partying and having fun and personal relationships. These interactions are important for shaping John Wayne's character and his associates, considering their fates by the end of the battles to come, battles I had not learned about in history class. MacArthur got the better press coverage, I suppose. It's an interesting movie I suppose, but I don't imagine I'll watch it again for a long time. Definitely includes a lot of familiar faces from the time in roles big and small. 

What'd you think of the score in the film?

1 hour ago, Jay said:

What'd you think of the score in the film?

Pretty good. It's been a while since I've listened to the Intrada,but I did recognize a lot of tracks from being on the album,even some of the source cues like the party dances and tribal music. The movie does not have a main title sequence to speak of, it just jumps into a party on December 6. But the most dramatic statement of the main theme gets a great moment in the music when the Duke arrives via seaplane to his new theater of operations and nobody's dialog is audible, it's just music. 

7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Yes, special effects, blah, blah, blah, but did you get the political commentary on the U.S.? 

No, of course not. Went completely over my head. I was mostly interested in the 90210 drama with Rico, Dizzy, Carmen and the guy from Will and Grace!

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

I like it for the cheese, the satire and the seriously cool special effects. 

I like how almost all of the cast seems to have been selected for the way they look, rather than their acting talent.

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Most people dont seem too, even though its very obvious. Like how for some Robocop is just an action film....

Yeah, I remember when I saw ST there were actual chuckles during that scene when Neil Patrick Harris appears basically dressed like some sort of future Gestapo officer.

Apparently the Heinlein novel is strongly right-wing and they decided to take the piss out of that.  

Actually, the movie began as a completely original script called "Bug Hunt at Outpost Nine".  Late in pre-production they obtained the license to the book, so changed some character names and some of their background details, some location names, etc to be from the book and that was that.  It's effectively an adaptation of the book in name only.

The animated series and sequel films drew more from the book, from what I understand (I've never seen them)

It's up there. Not quite Jaws, E.T. and Raiders status, but it's better than most of his stuff since. It's remarkably simultaneously underrated and over-bashed. It's like everyone's been conditioned to hate it or something. I'm surprised Spielberg even allowed it to be released on Blu-ray. All we had before that was a letterbox DVD and a DVR recording of an HD broadcast at two in the morning I saved for years.

9 hours ago, Richard said:

Oh, my goodness. I'm so, so sorry. I throw myself, at the mercy of the entirety of JWfan, and beg forgiveness.

Please. Please don't hold this against me. Pretty please with strawberries and cream! I won't do it again. Promise.

Great movie!