What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

A dream? Or losing grip of reality? Is that really what you think EOTS is about?

It's about perceptions. And how a boy with a still fertile imagination perceives the situation he finds himself in. It's a very Spielbergian concept actually.

The whole movie is a distorted view on reality. Jamie loves planes so much that he believes he has a special connection with pilots. He can never be in danger. All pilots salute him. Of course, that is all in his mind.

12 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

A dream? Or losing grip of reality? Is that really what you think EOTS is about?

It's about perceptions. And how a boy with a still fertile imagination perceives the situation he finds himself in. It's a very Spielbergian concept actually.

So...what is the difference? You just use a mitigated term to describe the same broad concept but fail to actually take into account of how it was realized cinematically. We were a step further from such simple digests.

The difference is that he isn't losing grip on reality. He's a child and we see the world through child's eyes. Not just during Cadillac Of The Skies but during the whole movie.

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

The whole movie is a distorted view on reality. Jamie loves plains so much that he believes he has a special connection with pilots. He can never be in danger. All pilots salute him. Of course, that is all in his mind.

Again, yes and no. The way they handled it makes it not really clear when and why distortion begins and when it ends. More importantly, what does it finally suggest?

I try not to present a final verdict, i don't dispute that all you cited somehow figures into it, just that it wasn't communicated really well in the second half. My gut feeling says the score should have been less academic in these moments and 'adult', for the lack of a better term (the big choral finale confirms this). It just sounds too much like a grown man's idea and not a child's perception whatsoever.

Just now, publicist said:

Again, yes and no. The way they handled it makes it not really clear when and why distortion begins and when it ends.

Because it's Spielberg, people expect arrows that point out certain events. The beauty of Empire Of The Sun they don't see the arrows and so they take the movie at face value. It's why it's my favorite Spielberg.

I don't see why people expect anything else from Spielberg than from any other director. I don't. But since we are now back at relativist short sentences that don't show much understanding about either the movie, its structure or aesthetic we can stop at this point...;)

1 hour ago, publicist said:

More importantly, what does it finally suggest?

It suggests a defence mechanism that explains how children get remarkably well through harsh times. While everyone is letting their head down, Jim is the only one who is thriving on discomfort (well, Basie too, but in a very wrong way).

I've probably mentioned it before, but for a movie which is said to have such Spielbergian motifs, it's odd that it features the single worst performance from a child in any of his movies. 

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It suggests a defence mechanism that explains how children get remarkably well through harsh times. While everyone is letting their head down, Jim is the only one who is thriving on discomfort (well, Basie too, but in a very wrong way).

And that is best exemplified by elegiac music usually reserved for commemoration services?

The music is used to convey the childlike innocence of the boy. How he looks at things with wonder still.

It's a pity that on JWFan only me and Alex seem to have held on to our inner child, so we can appreciate Spielberg's intentions.

44 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The music is used to convey the childlike innocence of the boy. How he looks at things with wonder still.

Yeah. Sure. Next to 'Adagio for Strings' this is the perfect representation of childlike innocence.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

And that is best exemplified by elegiac music usually reserved for commemoration services?

You think it's music for commemoration services but I don't. It's proof that music is ambiguous, pubs. 

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It certainly wasn't a funny experience for me. I couldn't stand the movie!

Signs is a terrible film.

Great score, though!

44 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

You think it's music for commemoration services but I don't. It's proof that music is ambiguous, pubs. 

It sure is. Though i'm not sure if your and Stefans retreat into simplistic one-sentence declarations is proof of that.

52 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Are you so dense that you can't spot jokes in a movie? 

Wait, what?

I think you need to explain your position better here, as I'm not getting you.

To be clear: I thought the film was laughably bad.  If you are talking about jokes being made by characters in the movie, I saw it once literally 15 years ago and don't remember any specific dialogue, sorry.

Well like I said, its not clear exactly what Koray is trying to say.  Is he saying Shyamalan set out to make a film that was not meant to be taken seriously?

Watched The Fly (1986) yesterday...

[mild spoilers ahead]

I thought it was great, though I admit I could barely make it past the final 10 minutes! While I was watching I couldn't help but be reminded of the Chernobyl disaster in the sense that seemingly minor "mistakes" in scientific experiments, which may be down to human error or lack of care, could lead to devastating consequences. There is some parallel between Brundle's mutation and the horrific symptoms associated with (severe) radiation poisoning. What a coincidence that the film came out in the same year...

Then there's the whole tragic love story. Watching Brundle's realization that his body was doomed after the experiment, and him struggling to come to terms with that fact ("I'm an insect who dreamt he was a man and loved it. But now the dream is over... and the insect is awake."), followed by his desperation to fix his situation, even at the expense of Veronica, was truly sad and depressing to watch. But the very last scene was the most heartbreaking, of course. Even though it's clear that the film prided on its gore elements in a sense, that feeling of disgust from the audience is part of what makes this film so complex and engaging to watch from a narrative point of view.

And Shore's score is great, as always!

All in all an impressive film, though I don't think I'll be wanting to watch it again any time soon. :folder:

I miss the times when movies of this sort were so self contained, with a small cast of characters where all of them are meaningful to the story, no gratuitous set pieces, no overlong run time. It's simply so focused, for lack of a better word

Cronenberg films have always been designed this way, even for his more larger-than-life concepts. Maybe that's why they don't make money anymore...

I was watching Eastern Promises the other day. What a beautifully restrained character picture.

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 5:21 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Signs is an earnest movie, and a good movie.  His last good one in fact, though I haven't seen the more recent ones that seem less hated.

I still maintain it's his best.

I'm no big fan of Shyamalan, but I enjoyed Signs. Well, apart from the meaningful dead wife parts. But as a good schlocky scares movie, it was effective.

I've been slowly forcing myself into the idea of reappraising Unbreakable one of these days, because I hated it when I saw it at the theatre all those years ago. Thought it was really boring.