What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Nolan and Snyder owe more to Unbreakable than James Gunn who owes to Whedon and Flash Gordon. 

Unbreakable is probably the best DC movie to date even though it isn't a DC movie. 

2 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

Yes, although Unbreakable is certainly a respectable second for me.  Signs always felt like his most complete and most satisfying in terms of pure filmmaking.

Even though it makes no sense that Aliens who are killed by water would invade a planet full of it?

3 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

Yes, although Unbreakable is certainly a respectable second for me.  Signs always felt like his most complete and most satisfying in terms of pure filmmaking.

Indeed. I would place The Sixth Sense as my second favorite though. 

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Even though it makes no sense that Aliens who are killed by water would invade a planet full of it?

That never bothered me because it never truly speaks from the alien point of view, unlike other movies in the genre, and no master plan is ever revealed, which is to the movie's benefit.  It's about atmosphere and personal crisis.  The invasion is just a basic setup.

Yea the directing and staging is fine but the plot and story make so little sense the entire movie falls completely apart.  IMO.

48 minutes ago, Jay said:

I haven't seen Unbreakable in ~15 years and I hope it lives up to my fond memories of it!

Yeah just looked it up. I was 23 years old 17 years ago. I can barely remember the film. 

9 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yea the directing and staging is fine but the plot and story make so little sense the entire movie falls completely apart.  IMO.

Whether it made sense or not was the least of my problems. A good storyteller can make you believe anything, or, at least he can make you turn a blind eye to questionable events. It's only when people don't like a movie that they start to look for plot holes or 'flaws'.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Nuke Town is probably my favourite part of the entire movie. It's bizarre, uncanny, and it has a great look. It's visually unique in the Indiana Jones aesthetic. 

It's the high point of the movie. It's the sequence where the Indy vibe and the 50's setting really meshed well

A 70 year old Harrison Ford bumbling into a garishly photographed house yelling "Hello?! Can I use the phone?!" is the high point of the movie?

Tombstone

Well, I suppose I'm deranged, but I guess I'll just have to call it one of my favorite movies.

5 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

A 70 year old Harrison Ford bumbling into a garishly photographed house yelling "Hello?! Can I use the phone?!" is the high point of the movie?

Oh sure great, don't wait for me! 

Best line in the movie. 

On ‎2‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 0:25 PM, Quintus said:

For me it's tied with his War of the Worlds, but don't you actually quite like Indiana Jones 4?

Had WotW been released in early 2002, it might have worked  However, to make a movie that self-consciously tries to tap into fears of terrorism in the way it did 4 years after 9/11 is just ridiculous.  No 8 year old girl in 2005 would have been yelling "is it the terrorists." 

I think Spielberg wants to have a deep message in many of his films post SL, but he just doesn't have anything profound to say. 

David Koepp's hamfisted paws being all over the dialogue are a major problem for me with that movie. It's probably the most insulting movie of Spielberg's career because of it, but not because of the post 9/11 commentary (which I wouldn't have minded at all had the film been more convincing). No, the script treats the viewer like a complete idiot. 

More annoyingly, I really dig the opening of the movie: the mounting of the arrival and then the opening and ruthless salvo are once again pure Spielberg - only to unravel into something far less arresting immediately afterwards. And John's score doesn't fuck about (unlike Spielberg), it's excellent. 

I like it. It's got a good "Saturday night on TV" vibe.

8 hours ago, Tom said:

Had WotW been released in early 2002, it might have worked  However, to make a movie that self-consciously tries to tap into fears of terrorism in the way it did 4 years after 9/11 is just ridiculous.  No 8 year old girl in 2005 would have been yelling "is it the terrorists." 

I think Spielberg wants to have a deep message in many of his films post SL, but he just doesn't have anything profound to say. 

A.I. is post SL and is likely his most profound film.