What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

7 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I like it. It's got a good "Saturday night on TV" vibe.

A.I. is post SL and is likely his most profound film. 

I think it is a well-executed movie, but in terms of profundity, I have seen Artificial Intelligence stories done better on Outer Limit episodes, not to mention Data from ST.  It just feels like rehash in that regard. 

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

No his beloved E.T. is by all accounts. 

No no, slowly the tide is turning for Always, you can feel it.

In about two years time it will be declared an misunderstood masterpiece. Spielberg's best.

38 minutes ago, publicist said:

Just curious. It has become a running joke here. Who's really seen it remains vague.

That, and Sony Trinitrons. Basically, Justin is JWFan's trend setter. 

I had fun with World War Z, despite being annoyed with the PG13ness of it all.  It should have been R.  I'm glad the sequel has been delayed indefinitely; It doesn't need one.

Air Force One

Terrific. Ford is so great.

I'm sure that many non-Americans hate this, because it's kind of a "Yay America!" schmaltz-fest.

But, being American, I loved this. Gripping and incredibly stirring. Definitely superior to, say, Rogue One, to give a recent action film example. 

I definitely grinned a few times (empty pod cut to Ford stepping out, for instance). But at the same time the film managed to have quite a bit of emotion and you really got a feel for the kind of dilemmas the various characters faced. It also helped that I often fantasize about working in the high levels of government, so all of the White House crisis scenes really hit home. ;)

Oh, and loved the music. Giving the OST a listen now (I'd only heard the terrific first track in the past - particularly the action second half is incredible). 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I had fun with World War Z, despite being annoyed with the PG13ness of it all.  It should have been R.  I'm glad the sequel has been delayed indefinitely; It doesn't need one.

I'm glad it was pg-13, and yeah, there doesn't need to be a sequel

It's because I'm super religious haha. While not specifically a rule that we're not supposed to watch R movies, it's generally frowned upon. If I do watch an R rated movie it almost always edited (but not 100% of the time)

EDIT: What I'm trying to say, is that I don't watch movies that are inappropriate regardless of the rating. 

2 hours ago, Will said:

Oh, and loved the music. Giving the OST a listen now (I'd only heard the terrific first track in the past - particularly the action second half is incredible). 

The Hijacking is a great Goldsmith action cue. 

6 minutes ago, Hawmy said:

It's because I'm super religious haha. While not specifically a rule that we're not supposed to watch R movies, it's generally frowned upon. If I do watch an R rated movie it almost always edited (but not 100% of the time)

People shouldn't let an arbitrary letter/number impede their enjoyment of cinema.

Indeed! I never understood that just because you believe in God, you're not supposed to watch movies of a certain rating. 

The Passion Of The Christ was super violent anyway, and Christians watched that in huge numbers.

It's not about the rating, It's about the content. That's all I'm trying to say. There are plenty of PG-13 movies I would never watch, but something like the Matrix, where the only reason it's R is because the song during the credits says the F-word 4 times, is totally different.

That makes more sense.

Well, not really (since i'm an atheist), but it seems less arbitrary than not watching a film because of a rating.

1 minute ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Mormons can't say the fuck word?  Who knew.

Catholics can and do! Over and over, in my experience.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

That makes more sense.

Well, not really (since i'm an atheist), but it seems less arbitrary than not watching a film because of a rating.

It's also someone else's evaluation of the content. Why trust them? Is their judgement better than ours?

It's like how Drag Me To Hell received a PG-13 rating in the US, but received a harsher MA15+ in Australia. The Australian Office of Film and Literature Classification has demonstrated that it can be even more prudish than its American counterpart.

1 hour ago, Hawmy said:

EDIT: What I'm trying to say, is that I don't watch movies that are inappropriate regardless of the rating. 

Always edited? Is there some organization that goes through and makes Jesus-approved cuts of R-rated films?

I don't have to watch the incriminating part. The software I use works like a remote. It mutes and skips specific parts that other people have already marked. I just go through a list and pick what I want to skip/mute.

Haha, i still remember a Berlin cinema back in '97 getting into stand up comedy frenzy during AFO and i myself standing and saluting back some heroic jet pilot. Goldsmith's music was straight outrageousness and it never crossed anyone's mind that it possibly could be taken seriously (Wolfgang Petersen might not be a subversive director but even he thought it goofy).

Each to their own I guess, but a belief system that dictates to you what you should and shouldn't be watching sounds like hell to me (also what you should and shouldn't be eating ... fish on a Friday for Catholics , no pork for Jews etc). 

Fuck that shit. 

5 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Oh, no. Most non-Americans like it. It's a fun film with a really silly/stupid and over-the-top premise (which is what makes it enjoyable in the first place). What's less to like is the fact that probably a lot of Americans think it could happen in real life ("The President kicking the terrorists' asses? Of course it could happen! Because he's American!"). The fact that you used the word "stirring" to describe it is proof of that! We non-American see it as a dumb but fun action movie, you guys probably see it as an inspiring, uplifting piece of filmmaking that should be shown in schools!

I find it worrisome, most of all. Seems anyone who cheers Ford in this movie for being a great president got their wish with Trump. And while it seems outrageous enough to seem baffling that it could be meant seriously, it never gives the impression that it tries to be satirical. "Mindless fun"? Perhaps, but with dangerous implications.

12 hours ago, Will said:

Air Force One

Terrific. Ford is so great.

I'm sure that many non-Americans hate this, because it's kind of a "Yay America!" schmaltz-fest.

But, being American, I loved this. Gripping and incredibly stirring. Definitely superior to, say, Rogue One, to give a recent action film example. 

I definitely grinned a few times (empty pod cut to Ford stepping out, for instance). But at the same time the film managed to have quite a bit of emotion and you really got a feel for the kind of dilemmas the various characters faced. It also helped that I often fantasize about working in the high levels of government, so all of the White House crisis scenes really hit home. ;)

I haven't seen Air Force One in probably twenty years, but the seventeen year old me who saw it theaters loved it for sure. I do remember thinking the CGI for the plane crash at the end was exceptionally poor, did you notice anything like that? 

And the score is just effing brilliant ; it's one of my favorite Jerry scores. The OST is a fantastic high octane 30 minute action extravaganza, it's easily found on Spotify. The complete score leaked ages ago and it's definitely my #1 most requested release for Townson to finally get to at Varese for a Deluxe Edition. Hopefully this year for the 20th!

2 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I find it worrisome, most of all. Seems anyone who cheers Ford in this movie for being a great president got their wish with Trump. 

What? 

President in the movie - seemingly a principled man who loves America and has faught heroically in Vietnam. Is very smart and skilled. 

Trump - Has never faught in the military and shows contempt for various American principles

I'm not seeing the comparison, other then perhaps them both being tough on terror in policy, and I doubt anyone would have brought it up if Trump hadn't used the theme for his rallies.