What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I don't wear those!

Just now, nightscape94 said:

Not every movie needs to linger with you until the end of time.  Occasionally, just burning a couple of hours with moderate enjoyment is acceptable.

Like the original Jurassic Park? Which is a far superior film to Jurassic World.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Star Trek TNG is on Netflix now, Alex. No need to watch bad TV. You can watch cheesy 80's/90's sci-fi for free.

I've seen that on TV at the time. 

Just now, Jay said:

If iBoy is on netflix in your country, watch that one and report back!

It is!

13 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

Not every movie needs to linger with you until the end of time.  Occasionally, just burning a couple of hours with moderate enjoyment is acceptable.

Definitely. JW's level of enjoyability only lasts about the first half or so, after you've seen the new park. And then its a bit of a snoozefest.

49 minutes ago, publicist said:

So what? Both of you watch much worse with some regularity.

We do?

It's not my favorite Lynch, but it left a deep impact on my childhood.

And it's the best kind of period piece: it is shot without overstating we're in the 19th century, like it was indeed shot in the 19th without having to use the usual establishing shots of how London looked back in the day. It is shot like the 19th century was the present time. In that regard, it is similar to the Prestige

Peeping Tom

It's really quite ahead of its time, in terms of terms of voyeurism and sexual overtones. It's complex, dark and doesn't take the easy way out. Despite the vintage setting, the movie is still pretty relevant in context. The needing to share, the needing to document and photograph everything in real time. Fine performances by Carl Boehm and Anna Massey. Brian Easdale's score is unusual, evocative, and ominous. It's definitely not Michael Powell's most accessible film, but he went out on a high with Tom.

Batman Returns

content_penguin-blog-13.jpg?1346358961

"I am not a human being! I am an animal! Cold-blooded! Crank the AC!"

A harrowing misanthropic tale - and still my favourite Burton movie. Pfeiffer is really amazing in this.

Because Drax has to see if it's really as good as he thought it was. Will this be his next obsession after Godzilla, Star Trek and that Trump dude?

14 hours ago, Matt C said:

Peeping Tom

It's really quite ahead of its time, in terms of terms of voyeurism and sexual overtones. It's complex, dark and doesn't take the easy way out. Despite the vintage setting, the movie is still pretty relevant in context. The needing to share, the needing to document and photograph everything in real time. Fine performances by Carl Boehm and Anna Massey. Brian Easdale's score is unusual, evocative, and ominous. It's definitely not Michael Powell's most accessible film, but he went out on a high with Tom.

It's really unfortunate what it did to his career but I think basically worth it for the reasons you stated. If only every filmmaker who committed career suicide did it with so much style and intelligence.

Still have to finish going through that last gasp of films he made afterward. I actually just watched Age of Consent the other day, not really a great film but typically entertaining in his sort of eccentric way and pretty to look at. And Helen Mirren! :joy::joy:

20 hours ago, Rose Dawson said:

Batman Returns

A harrowing misanthropic tale - and still my favourite Burton movie. Pfeiffer is really amazing in this.

You misspelled unwatchable mess. 

Kubo and the Two Strings

Simple, but good. I basically had the whole movie figured out as soon as the second act started, but I still enjoyed it.

Ivan's Childhood

This was way hard to watch and I didn't really get it. I'm sure it's an awesome movie, but I did not enjoy watching it.

I just saw this 2015 movie on Netflix, and I fell from my chair.

This is an adaptation from the memoirs of Timothy Conigrave.

The Internship. Pff, boring. Cheesy. Cheap. Waste of time. I liked the protagonists at the beginning, but my dislike and irritation with them grew after 20 minutes and I really disliked them at the end, didn't even want them to succeed. I did like Rosa Byrne and Neha, which incidentally is a nice name. The 'bad guy' was unconvincing and felt like a forced necessity rather than an addition. His character was too ridiculous to even call ridiculous. I mean, really, what kind of an intern would behave like Graham? Seriously?

Christophe Beck's score was functional, but, as usual, nothing special. A reference to John Williams' Quidditch or Harry Potter music would have been nice during the 'Quidditch' game, but I'm probably hoping for the impossible here. The Fame music at the end was nice, though.

On 21/03/2017 at 11:00 AM, mrbellamy said:

It's really unfortunate what it did to his career but I think basically worth it for the reasons you stated. If only every filmmaker who committed career suicide did it with so much style and intelligence.

Still have to finish going through that last gasp of films he made afterward. I actually just watched Age of Consent the other day, not really a great film but typically entertaining in his sort of eccentric way and pretty to look at. And Helen Mirren! :joy::joy:

You want Helen Mirren? Checkout EXCALIBUR. THE LONG GOOD FRIDAY, and CALIGULA.

On 17/03/2017 at 1:11 AM, KK said:

We are purer than the Americans!

The Quebecois are the more "snobbish" folk of our country. There are a good bunch that don't even like to be identified as Kanadian. But they'd be nothing without the mainland (Bespin don't get mad) ;)

You forgot that Canada started with us... well, then the british came and they pretty well crashed our party! 

But the truth is that Canada will explode the day we'll left. But don't worry, it's not for tomorrow... ;)

Hunt_for_the_Wilderpeople_Movie_Wallpape

Apparently this is the most successful New Zealand produced movie of all time. How nice, because it's just splendid! Five minutes in and I was thinking, ugh, this isn't for me, especially on a Saturday night, but then the wonderful subversions began and what continued was a little cracker of an adventure. In fact it's probably the best unlikely pairing buddy movie I've see since Midnight Run. Very funny, sincere, warm... and mad as hell: this is exactly my kind of comedy. Deserving of discovery. 

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

Hunt_for_the_Wilderpeople_Movie_Wallpape

Apparently this is the most successful New Zealand produced movie of all time. How nice, because it's just splendid! Five minutes in and I was thinking, ugh, this isn't for me, especially on a Saturday night, but then the wonderful subversions began and it was a little cracker of an adventure from there on in. In fact it's probably the best unlikely pairing buddy movie I've see since Midnight Run. Very funny, sincere, warm... and mad as hell: this is exactly my kind of comedy. Deserving of discovery. 

For whatever reason it took me 30 minutes before realizing Sam Neil was in this.