What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

Yet now we're on the subject, Ford would also have been absolutely perfect in this part ;)

Not really: Sam Neill can actually act.

1 hour ago, publicist said:

For whatever reason it took me 30 minutes before realizing Sam Neil was in this.

There's a great big clue on the poster, Pub. You know; where it says "Sam Neill". :lol:

4 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Yet now we're on the subject, Ford would have also been absolutely perfect in this part ;)

Ford would agree but i always found him a retching presence in stuff like 'Morning Glory'. He looks like a robot who's programmed to fake 'crusty old geezer' moves. And it's the same kind of performance in '42'. 

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Sam Neil is probably the better actor though, while Ford is a vastly superior movie star.

Yeah I'm not really getting at that though. More the old crap that Ford supposedly can't act. 

13 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Sam Neil is probably the better actor though, while Ford is a vastly superior movie star.

Agreed.

To be fair to Mr. Ford, he seems to be like most actors: good at why he does but is, somehow, unable to rise above that source material. Sam Neill can, which puts him among the likes of Dustin Hoffman, Robert Redford, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and John Malkovitch.

As a riposte, Lee, to your request for me to go away, and have anal sex; my favourite Ford performance is definitely THE MOSQUITO COAST - a powerhouse role, in a criminally underrated film!

So...double dumb ass, on you..:P

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Harrison Ford in The Force Awakens was pure movie star.

Glorified cameo=feasting on 40 year old glories. That's not exactly a big achievement.

2 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Yeah I'm not really getting at that though. More the old crap that Ford supposedly can't act. 

Whoever stated flatly he can't? He just isn't convincing in most roles outside a shrinking comfort zone. In those where he is, he's great. 

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

Jesus, all I said was Neill had a look of Ford in this movie. 

Playing with fire..

6 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Jesus, all I said was Neill had a look of Ford in this movie. 

:lol: Ladies and gentleman, please welcome, the Lee reverse canning service; letting loose worms all over the internet!

6 minutes ago, publicist said:

Glorified cameo=feasting on 40 year old glories. That's not exactly a big achievement.

I have to agree with Pub on this one (am I actually agreeing with Pub?! Fuck).

TFA was a nostalgia-fest, a film that people wanted, but not needed.

Obviously it's well known that Ford isn't exactly Sir Anthony Hopkins, he's well aware of his limitations as we can see from his back catalogue. He has a range which only goes so far. So fucking what? 

Anyway, did you guys see this yet? 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-39391431

Embarrassing! 

3 hours ago, Richard said:

TFA was a nostalgia-fest, a film that people wanted, but not needed.

It was. And people like me, James Cameron and George Lucas are disappointed that Star Wars is artistically stuck. 

He was probably bored in the parts of the film that would have totally blown if it hadnt been for him.

Wow! Han is back! and he's with Rey and Finn. Now the adventures will really begi....who's Maz and why is she in a Hogwarts style castle....yawn....

lol Steef, you sound a little like me during that Tennant series finale where he was facing off against the Master and Rassilon - 'OMG, the Doctor is up against Sam Tyler and James Bond. GEEKGASM!'   

17 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

For @Muad'Dib!

cria_cuervos-2.jpg

Cría Cuervos - Carlos Saura (1976)

Well, that was a rather depressing movie! It's quite well made, with a rather unique use and integration of flashbacks (flawlessly done, may I add) which gives it a great flow, and child actors that are really excellent, especially Ana Torrent, the lead. The story is quite dark, even if it doesn't necessarily appears as such at first and leaves you a bit conflicted at the end about what you saw. While, after reading some analysis of the film online, it appears it was meant as a criticism of francoism, I can't say that I noticed the whole symbolic to be found in the film. But even if you don't notice all that, you're still left with a pretty powerful tale about how a child deals with death in many ways.

There is one thing I'm not sure I understood what it was meant to represent, though, and that's the fact that the actress playing Ana's mother also plays the old Ana... Is it because Ana forgot what her mother looked like, and she pictures her as herself? Or is it because Ana, as a grown woman, likes to think of herself as looking like her mother did (as she admired her)? Is it because of some completely different reason? I wonder...

All in all, it's a pretty strong film with moments that stick with you (the girls reenacting the argument between their father and mother, the scene between Ana and her grandmother, the scene with the milk...), but it's the not the kind I'd like to rewatch, because of how depressing it is. Still, recommended to watch at least once!

Well done, master Blood!

edd7c60053fb86b4ec407964375dc8f5.png

I'm surprised you found it depressing, not because it is or it isn't, but because I never thought about it that way. The first time I saw it a couple of years ago I found it creepy but completely mesmerizing at the same time, kinda like The Shining (weird comparison, I know...) and every time I re-watch it, it has the same effect. The scene with the kids dancing for example creeps me the fuck out, I don't know exactly why but I believe it's the intention. 

I dig the film a lot because people keep having this image of childhood as a pure and innocent time, but I remember my own childhood being the complete opposite of that. Of course, I was never a normal kid but childhood is a weird time.

Yeah, little Ana is quite amazing, isn't she? El Espíritu de la Colmena is kinda a sister movie to this, though a little more optimistic I think, so maybe you'd like that one better. Torrent is great in both. I have to see her yet as an adult actress, though.

I knew about the Franco allegories, but apart from the father figure being dressed as a military member I agree with you that those allegories aren't really *seen* in the film per se. I know very little about the Franco years, so maybe that's why I don't get that part of the film. But even if you don't know that, I still think it's great filmmaking. One of my favorite movies I'd dare say. 

About the mother, I *think* it's supposed to be a sort of Elektra complex but I seem to recall Chaplin expressed interest in playing both roles and the director indulged, so maybe it's kinda like Altman and the Long Goobye song where he thought it was funny and didn't mean much about it... I guess they wanted to leave it open to interpretation.

Blood, since I recommended you two movies, how about you give me one more so we're equal?

Far From Heaven. How many things can go wrong with a romantic drama starring Julianne Moore? I was always going to like this one, I suppose, but hadn't expected it to be so moving, emotional and sad. I really enjoyed it, especialy after all the crap I've been watching lately. My only negative remark is that Moore was at times perhaps a little bit too gushing, too frantic, too desperate, but then again, it was probably part of the act.

This was also my first Elmer Bernstein score and it was gorgeous! There was me thinking no one could beat Patrick Doyle at writing lush, romantic scores. This one was absolutely stunning and heartbreaking.

Contact. It is a likeable film with solid performance from Jodie Foster. But it hasn't aged very well. For all the science it's full of clichéd lines, clichéd characters and heavy-handed plotting. It's just way too 1990's. The score is a bit too sugar-coated, even if I aporeciate it doesn't go for big gestures. It's likeable but there's not much left in there to explore. It's also too long. Shame really.

Karol

6 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Well, you already saw one I recommended you (The Castle Of Cagliostro) and I recommended another after that (The Secret Of Mamo), so I'd say we're even!

Though if you don't particularly feel like watching another animated film, here's another suggestion: Beasts Of The Southern Wild.

I've seen Beasts but I didn't care much for it, I thought it was poorly done overall. But I'll watch Mamo gladly!

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

Contact. It is a likeable film with solid performance from Jodie Foster. But it hasn't aged very well. For all the science it's full of clichéd lines, clichéd characters and heavy-handed plotting. It's just way too 1990's. The score is a bit too sugar-coated, even if I aporeciate it doesn't go for big gestures. It's likeable but there's not much left in there to explore. It's also too long. Shame really.

Karol

I already told people so in the '90s! And Foster plays like an animated Disney character .... 

21 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

But it has that amazing CGI shot no one notices!

That is true. Zemeckis was always very effective when using CG. There is also a question whether we need all thoe shots in this film but that's another matter.

16 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I already told people so in the '90s! And Foster plays like an animated Disney character .... 

It does actually feel like a Disney movie!

Karol

On 3/26/2017 at 8:32 AM, Richard said:

Maybe so, but what a "really great dress".

On 3/26/2017 at 8:54 AM, Godzilla said:

Weren't her tits about to flop out of that thing? Trying to remember...

21 hours ago, Richard said:

I wouldn't know. All I know is what I see, and I see Jodie Foster wearing a great dress for the DC party sequence.

be98449e6ade116f827d3af052042156.jpg