What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

34 minutes ago, Quintus said:

What was the surprising CGI people mentioned earlier? 

Nobody said anything about CGI people.  Justin mentioned a CGI shot:

On 3/25/2017 at 9:17 PM, Selina Kyle said:

But it has that amazing CGI shot no one notices!

Oh, I re-read your question and understand what you mean now.  He might have been talking about the shot that starts like a normal shot, and then when she reaches the mirror, you realize was in the mirror the whole time then continues outside the mirror.

I remembering really being wowwed by that shot in the theater back in '97.  Of course I was 17 at the time.

Thinking back a bit, '97 might have been the year that cemented my love of cinema.  It was the first year I really saw a lot of films in the theater, primarily because I had just gotten my license the year prior I suppose.  Of course '99 was the best year for new movies outside of maybe '07 in a long while

My love for cinema really started with VHS. We didn't go to the cinema at all much growing up. But we did rent loads of movies. Star Wars, Star Trek, the Spielbergs, 80's action like Die Hard, Lethal Weapon etc.

Good times!

40 minutes ago, Jay said:

Of course '99 was the best year for new movies outside of maybe '07 in a long while

Of course, you were 17 at the time.

What?  1999 was full of amazing movies, no one can deny that, and I was 19 and then 20 during that year.

Girls were prettier in those days, and people were friendlier. Now everyone just stares at their phones.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

What?  1999 was full of amazing movies, no one can deny that, and I was 19 and then 20 during that year.

99 was great, but it was no 1982!

Even Gene Roddenberry didn't see that coming ...

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Weren't the '90s completely forgettable when it comes to film?

Okay, I own a few of those: Schindler's List, Termy 2 (the best Termy of all time), Pulp Fiction and Trainspotting.

But other than that? Really? The '90s?!

No it absolutely was not. 

The Big Lebowski

Seven 

Eyes Wide Shut 

Goodfellas

The Silence of the Lambs 

Reservoir Dogs 

Trainspotting 

Shawshank

Groundhog Day

Dances With Wolves

Heavenly Creatures 

Being John Malkovich

You could go on and on for ages rolling great nineties movies off the tongue. May as well disregard silly contrary statements. 

30 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Weren't the '90s completely forgettable when it comes to film?

Absolutely not.  1999 alone brought us Fight Club, American Beauty, Magnolia, Eyes Wide Shut, Being John Malkovich, All About My Mother, Election, The Iron Giant, South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, The Matrix, The Sixth Sense, The Green Mile, The Insider, Toy Story 2, Go, Office Space... what a year!

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Oh, I re-read your question and understand what you mean now.  He might have been talking about the shot that starts like a normal shot, and then when she reaches the mirror, you realize was in the mirror the whole time then continues outside the mirror.

There's also the continuous shot where Ellie runs from the parking lot into the research centre, which is actually a digital composite of two shots.

X-Men: Apocalypse.

Starts off really well but then becomes a CGI laser light show by the end. But at least it's engaging CGI because the characters at the heart of it carry the whole thing with interest.

So now I've seen every X-Men movie. Took me a while.

15 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

There's also the continuous shot where Ellie runs from the parking lot into the research centre, which is actually a digital composite of two shots.

Oh yea, that one is great too!

9 hours ago, Godzilla said:

So now I've seen every X-Men movie. Took me a while.

Apocalypse remains the only one I haven't seen.  I liked the original trilogy, First Class, and Days of Future Past enough I've seen all those more than once... only seen the Wolverines once each though.

Hey I thought it was good. It lacks some focus, but makes up for it with all the Quicksilver stuff and John Ottman's score is one of his best. Ally Sheedy has a quick cameo at the beginning and she still looks nice for her age.

His name is Oscar Isaac; He played Poe Dameron in Star Wars 7, the rich dude in Ex Machina, etc