What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

3 hours ago, Jay said:

His name is Oscar Isaac; He played Poe Dameron in Star Wars 7, the rich dude in Ex Machina, etc

:blink: 

I didn't recognize him at all! The hallmark of a great actor?

I thought X-Men: Apocalypse was one of the worst movies I saw in 2016, tied with Suicide Squad as the worst super hero movie, and that's saying something

He's what we call a 'character actor'.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I never saw him before TFA.

He did appear in sci-fi and Fantasy movies though ...

So you are only interested in Sci-Fi or Fantasy if it's Star Wars, Star Trek and Lord Of The Rings? Hmm, I see ...

It's a bit limited but I guess that's the case with many a people.

I said you not him. The Belgian over the years hasn't demonstrated much capacity to discern wry wit and dry sarcasm in English text form in a way which you have. 

But I was being correct when I said I have no interest in sci-fi and fantasy as genres. 

I'm interested in individual films of series, some of which may happen to be of those genres.

Is High Castle sci-fi? I like that. Stargate SGI however doesnt interest me. You and Alex think in such black and white terms.

We've had this argument before, several times. And instead of either explaining your position or giving some examples you resort to namecalling.

I'm not a genre person. Never have been. Started Better Call Saul s2 last night. What genre is that? I must be crazy about anything that's vaguely in the same ballpark right?

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

We've had this argument before, several times. And instead of either explaining your position or giving some examples you resort to namecalling.

I'm not a genre person. Never have been. Started Better Call Saul s2 last night. What genre is that? I must be crazy about anything that's vaguely in the same ballpark right?

You are slave to your two genres though: sci-fi and fantasy. It's always been that way - anything fairly decently made featuring spaceships, futurism, sorcery, monsters or superheroes, and you're there. With your little photo of the ticket for proof. 

Squeezing in True Detective, The Thick of It (these two are often your defence) or the odd other zeitgeist tv show every now and then does not convince me of otherwise! 

Look, please don't be offended by this. It's absolutely fine that you enjoy and feel comfortable in your regular genres of choice, but you can't act all misunderstood and hard done by either when people like me feel limited with what movies/TV they can actually talk to you about. I realised some time ago that your viewing habits are of limited range, and that's okay! But don't try to kid me it's not really like that! Because you're just being dishonest to yourself. 

Is Broadchurch sci-fi or fantasy? Or Top Gear? Or Jaws, my favourite film actually.

I have an appreciation for blockbuster cinema, that is true. I don't see how that limits me to being into sci-fi and fantasy?

Yes I am a Trekkie, and yes I adore LOTR. (as do you, btw)

But it's probably useless to try and change what you seem to so persistently consider your opinion of me. That's one thing you and Alex do share. Inflexibility in your thinking.

Oh well.

You'll say I'm wrong, but while you'll happily wax lyrical about the few genres you do like, you're just as likely to proudly inform us of the many you don't. 

The Sopranos? No thanks, I don't like gangsters stuff! The Walking Dead? Not for me cheers, I'm not into zombies. Breaking Bad? Nah, I don't like gangsters and moral ambiguity. Oh go on then, if you're bribing me. 

See, some of us will give anything a try, especially if it's reported to be good. But you won't, because you have your limits. You have your preferred favourites. Inflexibility you say? Haha! 

I've watched plenty of The Soprano's back when it aired. Wasnt really my thing. Love the Godfather trilogy though. But wait, it's not sci-fi? how can that be???

Never watched Lost, while that is sci-fi/fantasy...how can that be? Havent done Westworld either? What's going on here? I should be all over that shit right?

Your bullshit detector is off today?

Nope! 

Here's another one I remember: "Sons of Anarchy? I'm not interested in the subject matter." 

Well Stefan, I believe it's actually about love, betrayal and brotherhood. So that's a surprise. 

Only the pilot, it's been on my list for years, but I need a longer gap in between that and The Sopranos first, because they're essentially the same thing. Apparently in later seasons of Sons, that also becomes Shakespearean too. I like human epics. 

I distinctly remember mentioning my interest in the show here a couple of years ago, and you chiming in about it as you generally tend to do. 

Maybe Jason can use the search engine. 

48 Hours

Sci-fi epic starring Eddie Murphy as a con briefly sprung out of jail by temporal investigator Nick Nolte to catch a time traveling killer who murdered one of his colleagues. (Played by Jonathan Banks, who was on DS9)

Directed by Walter Hill who was a producer on the sci-fi film Alien and it shows! James Horner actually scored the sequel to that and uses plenty of his Star Trek know-how to give 48 Hours a rousing score.

8 minutes ago, Godzilla said:

A show about a bunch of low-life outlaws and glorification of criminal activity? Count me out!

Glorification? I'm not interested that. 

Possession (1981)

possession_072.jpg~original

All I can say is that it's been a long time since a movie left me both so creeped out and excited at the same time. Masterful direction and acting by the two leads, Andrzej Zulawski is of course outstanding (and so frickin' beautiful) but Sam Neill is great too here; I felt he was kinda left out when people talk about this movie. Both were absoutely fantastic and worked great one against the other.

I think the first half of the movie is absolutely flawless, the second is still very good but falls into more common places... Although I'm gonna have to watch it again as I feel like I missed out on a lot of stuff that at first felt like script errors but by the end seemed like the whole thing had a dreamy, not too far away from Lynch thing going on. I wish I could see it on the big screen! It truly left me satisfied and at the same time hungry for more.

Very Lovecraftian, I won't say anything about the plot. I think the less you know the better, as you're in for a surprise altogether. Super recommended.

1 hour ago, Muad'Dib said:

Possession (1981)

possession_072.jpg~original

All I can say is that it's been a long time since a movie left me both so creeped out and excited at the same time. Masterful direction and acting by the two leads, Andrzej Zulawski is of course outstanding (and so frickin' beautiful) but Sam Neill is great too here; I felt he was kinda left out when people talk about this movie. Both were absoutely fantastic and worked great one against the other.

I think the first half of the movie is absolutely flawless, the second is still very good but falls into more common places... Although I'm gonna have to watch it again as I feel like I missed out on a lot of stuff that at first felt like script errors but by the end seemed like the whole thing had a dreamy, not too far away from Lynch thing going on. I wish I could see it on the big screen! It truly left me satisfied and at the same time hungry for more.

Very Lovecraftian, I won't say anything about the plot. I think the less you know the better, as you're in for a surprise altogether. Super recommended.

Don't know how I've never heard about this before. Sounds like something I'd want to see. 

Under Fire (1983) - who likes Blood Diamond? You will love that one. A Masterpiece of the 80s! And I don't call every movie that is just 'good' a 'masterpiece'. Moreover one of the greatest scores of all time by the second maestro!

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Żuławski is the director. ;)

I think you meant Adjani.

Correct, I typed the whole thing in a hurry before going to sleep last night... I had the weirdest set of dreams, I kept waking up every hour or so, though I don't remember much about them... I think the movie went beyond my concious and affected me in ways I don't even realize... Which is friggin' fantastic!

You seen it, Blood?

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

There goes Muad'Dib's credibility!

Hey, I didn't know I even had one. Cool.

Have you seen it as well, Al?

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

Don't know how I've never heard about this before. Sounds like something I'd want to see. 

Be ready, be very ready. For there are some weird ass parts, man... But yeah, if you like The Fury, Carrie or that 70's-80's horror kind of stuff and wanna seen it done a little more sophisticated then yeah, I highly recommend it. Even if you don't like that particular genre or style of movies, it's always good to be watching stuff out of your confort zone.

I'm in a sort of mood for these kind of films these days. I'm getting ready to watch Suspiria or The Lair of the White Worm next. And listening to the fuck out of The Fury.