What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why is it that the three members here in their 50s (Alex, Richard, and Joey) like to constantly berate others for having a different opinion than they do about movies?  The rest of us talk about what we liked and don't liked about various movies but don't belittle others for their opinions on the same films.

Sorry, Jay, but 1/ who's berating anybody, and 2/ what makes you think I'm so old?

Every time I post a review, I'm right. Every time! I mean...is a bird showing off, when it flies?

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Why is it that the three members here in their 50s (Alex, Richard, and Joey) like to constantly berate others for having a different opinion than they do about movies?  The rest of us talk about what we liked and don't liked about various movies but don't belittle others for their opinions on the same films.

Joeinar didnt really do that when he was still here. Alex has always done that. Dunno about Richard, which one is he again?

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Old cunt syndrome? 

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I'm sure Richard is old and wise enough to understand I was only teasing him, Jay. 

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Old cunt syndrome? 

Oi! Less of the "old".

14 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I'm sure Richard is old and wise enough to understand I was only teasing him, Jay. 

Old and wise?

As far as my eyes can see...

Anyway, it's time to reveal that I saw the worst superhero movie of all time (I probably will hurt Jay's feelings again). Are you ready?

ss1_qmk8.jpg

Shame on Zack Snyder for being the producer of this sh!t called Suicide Squad! 0/10

In other news, I just discovered that not only have they been making direct-to-video sequels to The Scorpion King for years, but that the last one starred Lou Ferrigno!  Somebody here needs to watch this and report back!  It won't be me.

A1o8jBofp7L._SL1500_.jpg

17 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Anyway, it's time to reveal that I saw the worst superhero movie of all time (I probably will hurt Jay's feelings again). Are you ready?

ss1_qmk8.jpg

Shame on Zack Snyder for being the producer of this sh!t called Suicide Squad! 0/10

But...but...the first trailer looks so promising!

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

In other news, I just discovered that not only have they been making direct-to-video sequels to The Scorpion King for years, but that the last one starred Lou Ferrigno!  Somebody here needs to watch this and report back!  It won't be me.

A1o8jBofp7L._SL1500_.jpg

Roy "Big Country" Nelson!

49 minutes ago, Richard said:

Oi! Less of the "old".

I was online joking. I don't really think age is a factor in what Jason originally said anyway, and like others said, I've never noticed you sneering at others here in regards to something they may have watched. Nor the late Joey for that matter. 

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

A1o8jBofp7L._SL1500_.jpg

Good score. 

11 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm not a monster.  Doctor Who is a television series that started airing in 2005.

Uhh...

It started airing again in 2005. It's a television series that started airing in the 60s.

23 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm not a monster.  Doctor Who is a television series that started airing in 2005.

12 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

Uhh...

It started airing again in 2005. It's a television series that started airing in the 60s.

thatsthejoke.jpg

far-from-heaven-movie-poster-2002-102019

Interesting movie. It's about homosexuality and interracial relationships in the '50s. Why is it interesting? Because the entire film is made using the stylistics of a '50s movie and in the '50s both subjects were not talked about in Hollywood. Julianne Moore is perfect. Elmer Bernstein's music reminded me of John Williams' autumny scores. 7/10

Alex

Agreed.

Now, this is a 7/10 film, Alex.

Dennis Quaid gives a customary low-key performance, that reminds me of his character in PLAYING BY HEART, another underrated, under seen film.

Haysbert is fine, and ever since I saw Julianne More bottomless, in SHORT CUTS...well, let's just say I've been a fan :)

This is the best film that Douglas Sirk never made.

Love and Friendship (2016)

Outstanding Whit Stillman film from last year, now streaming on Amazon Prime.  This immediately shot into the highest tier of Jane Austen adaptations for me.  It's probably the most genuinely funny, witty period piece I've ever seen.  Kate Beckinsale is great as the awful, but entertaining, Lady Susan.  The entire ensemble cast is excellent from top to bottom, they all really seemed to be able to channel the arch, satirical tone the film was going for.  The style of the film is very cool as well, with each character getting an introductory "title card" explaining who they are.

An overlooked gem of last year!

Indy and the last crusade.

Wow, I never expected it to be THAT good! Where to start? The whole thing sounded so much better overall, you'd think they made the other two films thirty years ago. Though the story is at times absurd for non-religious people, it was much more compelling and interesting than the first two. Actually, I'd rather just pretend Temple of Doom never existed. What a drag that was compared to this one. This entry was also much more light-hearted and even funny at times. Sean Connery really hash an enormoush speech defect, good gracioush.

But the best aspect was undoubtedly Williams' fantastic score. The holy grail theme is just magnificent. This was the first time that JW moved me so deeply, I just couldn't get enough of those solemn brass chords. Then the theme heard in 'Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra'... I love it when Williams uses trumpets and oboes to play triplets at the same time. Then the Nazi theme... I've been watching a lot of Williams films this month: three Indy movies and Born on the Fourth of July, and then I also listened to a bunch of Boston Pops albums. I'm officially hooked on his scores and this one had better have a good album representation.

37 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

Indy and the last crusade.

Wow, I never expected it to be THAT good! Where to start? The whole thing sounded so much better overall, you'd think they made the other two films thirty years ago. Though the story is at times absurd for non-religious people, it was much more compelling and interesting than the first two. Actually, I'd rather just pretend Temple of Doom never existed. What a drag that was compared to this one. This entry was also much more light-hearted and even funny at times. Sean Connery really hash an enormoush speech defect, good gracioush.

But the best aspect was undoubtedly Williams' fantastic score. The holy grail theme is just magnificent. This was the first time that JW moved me so deeply, I just couldn't get enough of those solemn brass chords. Then the theme heard in 'Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra'... I love it when Williams uses trumpets and oboes to play triplets at the same time. Then the Nazi theme... I've been watching a lot of Williams films this month: three Indy movies and Born on the Fourth of July, and then I also listened to a bunch of Boston Pops albums. I'm officially hooked on his scores and this one had better have a good album representation.

Last Crusade has really grown in my estimation over the years. It was always my second favourite of the three Indy films (and still is), but I find myself enjoying it more now than ever. In some ways I think it's superior to Raiders, and IMO the last act of Crusade beats the last act in Raiders.

That said, what hasn't grown on me is the "flashback" prologue, which I used to find to be interesting but now I just think its distracting.