What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

49 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

It's pretty bad, when you think about it. Like every other prequel (well, it's not quite a prequel, but you get what I mean!), it feels the need to explain every single thing about the character, how it all came to be. No stone left unturned! And in this particular case, it pushes the envelope even further, making everything that defines the character happen in a single day: the scar, the fear of snakes, the whip, the hat... All in one day! Before that, he was no one, and after that day, he became the Indy you all know and love and didn't change much from that point onwards (that's what I'm worried will happen with the Han Solo film too).

As a standalone action sequence, it ain't bad. As part of the Indy story, it's better not to give it too much thought!

Agree with all this.  This was really before movies were giving their characters this kind of "origin" story, so in a way it was ahead of its time. But it was handled like the gimmick it was.

I was thinking the other day that I don't really want another Indy film with Harrison Ford.  He's just too old for the part. Leave it as a trilogy. That final scene in Crusade with Indy literally riding off into the sunset closes out his story perfectly.

That said, I'm comfortable with recasting the role and seeing stories about a younger Indy's adventures....in a way that I'm not regarding the Han Solo film. I was trying to figure out why I'm not bothered by recasting Indy in a way I am Han Solo. I think it's partially because there are SO many other stories to tell in the Star Wars universe, it's not really necessary to go there, whereas with Indy, Jones is the story.  If we want more Star Wars stories, we can have it without Han Solo. Not so with Indy. Moreover, Solo has mystery and certain intrigue about his past that Indy doesn't have. Like the Clone Wars, NOTHING they can possibly put on screen will match whatever a vivid imagination has Solo doing when he was younger. Over explaining the character will ruin a big part of his mystique. Solo's a rogue and scoundrel in a way Indy isn't.  Scratch the surface too much and the character loses his mojo.

Not to mention of course that in addition to the Last Crusade, we've seen several incarnations of a Young Indy, and the character has already been played by a few actors.  So I would not mind seeing more of the character on the big screen, I think there are a lot of stories to explore in that world...without Ford and Spielberg. I think movies about a younger Indy can be more than just "this is how Indy became Indy"...which is what I fear the Solo film will be. 

Anyway, this kind of thing seldom works. When I watch A New Hope and Ben talks about the Clone Wars I still don't think of robot droids and The Trade Federation, and if I do it only detracts from the story...so I just try to ignore it. 

Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation

What a great movie.  My 3rd time watching it, only gets better each time!  One of the best action movies of this decade for sure.

And of course I have to mention that Kraemer's score is the best action score of the decade.

Don't Breathe (2016)

don-t-breathe.20170303013805.jpg

Rotten Tomatoes: 86%

IMDb: 7,2

Metacritic: 71

Alex: 3/10

Universally celebrated thriller (they are even naming a planet after this movie ;)) but it annoyed the hell out of me. I just didn't buy what I saw and was glad it was over.

Alex

Dracpos.jpg

Gaudy Grand Guignol full of excess and bereft of any subtlety. Coppola's last huge movie is an overstuffed gothic bordello greased with lots of ham and given my love for dark vampire yarns this movie is a total failure but seen as flamboyant comic book, it's great fun to watch. The lack of discipline pays off in set and costume design, sadly the performances contained therein - ranging from waxwork Reeves to a wild and demented Hopkins - do not coalesce into a happy alliance.

Maybe the elimination of two dozen or so sound and visual effects per frame would have given the myth more credence and weight, as it is no depth is ever achieved due to the lack dramatic weight - it's just one big climax after another. Considering this it's a surprise how engrossing it finally is. 

13 minutes ago, Sweeping Strings said:

As a big old Gothic horror-melodramatic stew, it's a lot of fun. Did I read something somewhere once about Coppola doing as many of the effects 'in-camera' as was possible?

Watching it i'd say it's all practical effect/camera work.

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Don't Breathe (2016)

Rotten Tomatoes: 86%

IMDb: 7,2

Metacritic: 71

Alex: 3/10

Universally celebrated thriller (they are even naming a planet after this movie ;)) but it annoyed the hell out of me. I just didn't buy what I saw and was glad it was over.

Alex

Isnt it interesting that almost every review you seem to post is "Everyone else praised this movie, but I wasnt fooled"?

As far as I am aware, BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA, is the only telling of the tale to get right to its roots; that being a story of love, loss, and redemption. On that level, its packs a real wallop!

Yes, it's hamier than my weekend gammon joint, and cheesier than a fuck-off block of Double Gloucester, but it truly is very powerful, and graphic, stuff. It also has a simply gorgeous end title song.

22 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Isnt it interesting that almost every review you seem to post is "Everyone else praised this movie, but I wasnt fooled"?

That's a lie. Perhaps those are the ones you remember.

Don't Breathe? Thoroughly enjoyed it. Drax needs to watch it. 

I didn't even know what it was when it started, I'd just heard it was supposed to be a good horror. Didn't realise it was a Final Girl movie though, otherwise I'd possibly have been put off a bit. 

Also, the stalker is Colonel Quaritch! 

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

With a fab beard by the looks of it!

He's really awesome in this, and with a sequel on the cards, he's bound to carve out himself a little place in the horror movie stalker hall of fame. 

1 hour ago, Richard said:

As far as I am aware, BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA, is the only telling of the tale to get right to its roots; that being a story of love, loss, and redemption. On that level, its packs a real wallop!

Yes, it's hamier than my weekend gammon joint, and cheesier than a fuck-off block of Double Gloucester, but it truly is very powerful, and graphic, stuff. It also has a simply gorgeous end title song.

As far as I recall, it's pretty faithful to the novel. Never liked the song, but the score is excellent of course.

Is there a decent Blu-ray transfer yet?

Frankly, no, just a standard release.

You might want to compare the current Blu Ray release, with an older Super Bit DVD release (although I suspect that the Blu will be better).

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

I only know Tom Baker so he's the best Doctor.

gallery-1460635992-dalek-fourth-doctor-t

This is brilliant! The Doctor being chased by his deadliest enemies... all 'round the BBC car park! Oh, the humanity! :lol:

15 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Last Crusade is great fun. There's some unusually shoddy effects work for a Spielberg movie, though. 

Basically : ILM took on too many projects in 1989.

X-Men Apocalypse

It's not a bad film, just overstuffed when Bryan Singer should've held back (i.e. Days of Future Past) and the CGI-laden climax gets rather redundant. Oscar Isaac is disappointing as En Sabah Nu, Michael Fassbender is his usual classy self, Jennifer Lawrence has more scenes outside the Mystique makeup (obviously sell more tickets), and James McAvoy is just... there. The four newcomers playing the younger Storm, Cyclops, Jean Grey and Nightcrawler needed more screentime, those guys were terrific. 

Newton Thomas Sigel's lensing is usually splendid in Singer's films, but it wasn't as well blocked. John Ottman's score was really enjoyable, an actual sequel to X2 than Days of Future Past.

Inferno.

Pfffffffff... I feel out of breath and exhausted. What an insanely fast-paced film. The first half wasn't bad, especially the first half hour, though I quickly became tired of the fact that the whole thing is basically a nightmare from which we don't seem to wake up. Felicity Jones and Tom Hanks are good, but they don't seem to get a chance to think for, like, two seconds. As the story unfolded, I slowly lost interest. How did Sienna die, or did she die at all? Who is Buchard and who does he work for? I have no ide anymore because I didn't get ten seconds to just relax and understand anything. Flashback, cut to another scene, flashback, chase, vision, flashback, action... Everything was a blur. The provoste is good, but the love story between Langdon and Zimsky feels unnecessary. If they had cut that out and allowed the remainder of the plot ten minutes more airtime, or twenty, things would have been so much better. As a movie, it's tolerable at best, as a book adaptation, the ending sucks.

And the score... I had already heard bad things about its over-reliance on electronics. I was surprised to find I actually liked some of them, though the low frequencies are way too over-emphasised, as always. Zimmer apparently also doesn't realise that you could score a religious sub plot using choir and orchestra: not everything needs to be synthethesized.

Christ, I'm still feeling hyperactive.

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

Inferno.

And the score... I had already heard bad things about its over-reliance on electronics. I was surprised to find I actually liked some of them, though the low frequencies are way too over-emphasised, as always. Zimmer apparently also doesn't realise that you could score a religious sub plot using choir and orchestra: not everything needs to be synthethesized.

Budget and scheduling are factors that exist in film production.

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Why on earth did Inferno get a low budget?

It's Tom Rothman, a studio exec known for his meddling and penny-pinching. After being booted from Fox, Amy Pascal gave him a job running the new TriStar Productions label. Then after she resigned after the Sony hacking, he took her top spot as studio honcho February 2015.

He took over the studio while Inferno was casting, so I wouldn't be surprised if he requested the budget be cut.

Batman

"Bob? Gun."

batman-movie-screencaps.com-12063.jpgbatman-movie-screencaps.com-12066.jpg

We'll never know exactly why he did it. Did he decide atop the float that Bob had to die because he was unfit? After all, he didn't see it coming that a masked vigilante would suddenly appear in a fighter jet equipped with a giant claw seemingly specifically designed to snag giant balloons. Someone needed to be blamed. Even the other goons couldn't believe what Joker does here. Bob was loyal. He was his number one guy. This death, silly as it may seem, remains one of the most strangely affecting in cinematic history.

19 hours ago, Jay said:

Basically : ILM took on too many projects in 1989.

Yeah, I'd heard that. The close-up shot of the crashing German plane after Henry has scared the flock of birds into its flight-path where apparently little to no effort was made to hide the fact that it's a model ... dear God.  

3 hours ago, Richard said:

Agreed. White matte lines, as it crashes into the mountain?! WTF?! :lol:

Out of all the Summer blockbusters of '89, its pretty clear which one had the most effort made, sfx-wise.

Star Trek V?