What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Munich

My second time seeing this great movie.  Spielberg suspense sequences par excellence.  The mounting paranoia and sense of despair/pointlessness is gripping.

I last saw it in 2006 and this viewing was amused to note that Michael Lonsdale, most famous as the villain in Moonraker, plays the father of Mathieu Amalric, who played the villain in Quantum of Solace a few years after this movie came out.

The Fast and the Furious

After all the hype surrounding these movies, I thought I'd give the first one a go. And I'm disappointed. There is no humour in this movie at all. It's all flash and no self-awareness. The characters all take themselves too seriously when they should be wise cracking about how ridiculous all this is. When Paul Walker hands Vin Diesel his keys at the end, he should have said something like "drive carefully". I would have loved that. The movie stinks.

The first four are all pretty much like that.

They stopped taking themselves seriously from the 5th movie onwards, and those later ones are more enjoyable as a result. Knowing you, you'd get a kick out of them (if you can make it this far ;)).

29 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

The first four are all pretty much like that.

They stopped taking themselves seriously from the 5th movie onwards, and those later ones are more enjoyable as a result. Knowing you, you'd get a kick out of them (if you can make it this far ;)).

Yeah I taped them all from a marathon on Foxtel, so I'm persevering through the early ones until I get to the later ones, which everyone tells me are way better.

Paths of Glory

Kubrick's first great film and Kirk Douglas' finest performance.  I must admit on this rewatch I found the generals a mite too close to being caricatures of evil.  To me it could've been more chilling to see how evil actions can be performed through perfectly ordinary bureaucracy and chain of command.  But it's only a minor complaint, the film is nigh on perfect.  The actors who play the outrageously condemned are especially great (love that young Turkel! But Meeker is the standout)

2 Fast 2 Furious

Now this is more like it. Funnier, stupider and more ridiculous, and everyone looks like they're having a good time. Could this be the best one because it doesn't have brooding Vin Diesel in it? Paul Walker had better chemistry with Tyrese Gibson than he did with Diesel. Felt like a cop buddy flick and Miami Vice.

The fact that these characters take themselves so damn seriously is reflective of their target audience, which mainly includes young guys out to have their fragile masculinity validated at every turn, and these dudes tend to be very serious people who exist only for their cars.

4 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

I never really understood the appeal of those movies.

Me neither. Me and the kid checked out one of them later ones but we couldn't take more than 15 minutes of it.

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Paths of Glory

Kubrick's first great film 

Somehow it felt more like a Spielberg movie to me. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Paths Of Glory is very high on Spielberg's list of favorite Kubrick movies.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Somehow it felt more like a Spielberg movie to me. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Paths Of Glory is very high on Spielberg's list of favorite Kubrick movies.

It is flat-out great - and surprisingly lean, too! (a problem with Kubrick's later pictures, imho)

It's a moral question movie. Alex doesn't like those. Stick it at the back of the queue behind 12 Angry Men and To Kill a Mocking Bird. Visually boring movies for lesser minds. 

52 minutes ago, publicist said:

It is flat-out great - and surprisingly lean, too! (a problem with Kubrick's later pictures, imho)

Yeah, but to you everything that isn't forwarding the plot is fat.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Yeah, but to you everything that isn't forwarding the plot is fat.

Often, yes.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

It's a moral question movie. Alex doesn't like those. Stick it at the back of the queue behind 12 Angry Men and To Kill a Mocking Bird. Visually boring movies for lesser minds. 

Needs more acid rain!

One of my favorite things about Paths of Glory is how straightforward and clean it is in its storytelling.  I love the decadence and self-indulgence of later Kubrick, but it's also great to see him tell a story in this way too.

18 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Brilliant film, I need to watch it again. 

Or Judgement at Nuremberg vs 12 Angry Men. Which do you think is better! 

12AM..no contest. 'Nuremberg' is rather uneven, ranging from brilliant to goofy/didactic (with special celebrity concentration camp victims!).

18 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Have you seen the Friedkin remake? It's supposed to be decent.

Scott and Lemmon are especially great, but again, the old cast remains unsurpassed-

3 minutes ago, publicist said:

12AM..no contest. 'Nuremberg' is rather uneven, ranging from brilliant to goofy/didactic (with special celebrity concentration camp victims!).

To be honest, it was Maximilian Schell who carried that film for me, I was blown away by him. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

12 Angry Men has a very impressive and effective visual style actually.

I've always enjoyed Lumet's down-to-earth style.

DOG DAY AFTERNOON is a film of  great humanity, and NETWORK is devastating, from start to finish. Pure cinematic acid!

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

So was Spencer Tracy apparently.

I faintly remember that the other actors found him (=Schell) to be a real prick - but the performance is, rightly so, the demonic essence of the german dogmatist. If you watch those movies today it's really funny because everyone is so outrageously larger than life.