What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Indeed.

In the series 'Bad But Watchable Movies': Preservation (2014)

089358.jpg

Horror ... thriller ... survival  ... What more do you want? Would have been kinda okay as a movie if it wasn't for some really bad and illogical moments.

3/10

Alex

12 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Somehow it felt more like a Spielberg movie to me. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Paths Of Glory is very high on Spielberg's list of favorite Kubrick movies.

Funny you should say that.  Apparently Spielberg screened it for a gathering of friends the night they learned Kubrick had died.

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Ah, the American New Wave ... Even more than Bonnie & Clyde, Dog Day Afternoon made or learned us to care for the bank robbers. 

Not sure if that post is cynical, or not, Alex, but, yes DDA made us care for the little man. The film is not a million miles away from all those recent "let's get our money back from those bloodsucking banks" movies.

I've just finished watching Interstellar tonight. Not sure what to make of it at the moment, but it's certainly ambitious I'll give it that. Not that I'd say it's entirely successful with it, but there's something large in scale about its ideas which I appreciate. I feel the execution isn't quite there though, and it's easily the longest three hour movie I ever saw. Perhaps time will make a classic of it, but I wouldn't want to bet on it. Does 2001: A Space Odyssey have the sort high level flaws Interstellar has? I don't think it does. Still, I suppose it bodes well for Nolan's effort that I even drawn a comparison.

My suspicion though is I think Interstellar will ultimately be held back by its loose licence with science - blotting out any philosophical questions it might, with greater writing finesse, have tried to ask. A case of big ideas undermined somewhat by small filmic ability. Anyway, maybe I'll feel like talking more about it tomorrow, but as Nolan films go it's one of his more admirable attempts. 

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

I've just finished watching Interstellar tonight. Not sure what to make of it at the moment, but it's certainly ambitious I'll give it that. Not that I'd say it's entirely successful with it, but there's something large in scale about its ideas which I appreciate. I feel the execution isn't quite there though, and it's easily the longest three hour movie I ever saw. Perhaps time will make a classic of it, but I wouldn't want to bet on it. Does 2001: A Space Odyssey have the sort high level flaws Interstellar has? I don't think it does. Still, I suppose it bodes well for Nolan's effort that I even drawn a comparison.

My suspicion though is I think Interstellar will ultimately be held back by its loose licence with science - blotting out any philosophical questions it might, with greater writing finesse, have tried to ask. A case of big ideas undermined somewhat by small filmic ability. Anyway, maybe I'll feel like talking more about it tomorrow, but as Nolan films go it's one of his more admirable attempts. 

Glad you seem to have largely appreciated it.  Not to totally be a broken record, but the license they took with the science isn't nearly as loose as has been popularly touted.

2001 is a flawless movie.  Interstellar is not.  But I don't really feel that this will prevent the vector of its legacy from pointing up - whether this translates to it being a "classic" I wouldn't speculate on as surely.

Back to the Future.

What a classic. It's got some great quotable lines. Pretty good soundtrack. Relatively clever time-travel plot as long as you don't think about it too much. By no means the greatest movie of all time or anything close, but it's still pretty fun!

It's a shame about the new Marty that goes back to 1955 and is replaced by the old Marty now in an alternate timeline. Wait, would he have even gone back in the altered timeline? None of this fucking makes sense...

There's always Titanic instead. 

4 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Glad you seem to have largely appreciated it.  Not to totally be a broken record, but the license they took with the science isn't nearly as loose as has been popularly touted.

It was the 'on the fly' problem solving attitude to massive space travel problems which didn't sit well with me, I wasn't able to suspend my disbelief for that stuff, so it felt disappointing. I'm normally the one whom rolls the eyes when other people get hung up on and moan about science in movies, but even I found this a stretch too far. The now cliché "we'll just slingshot ourselves around it" solution towards the end of film for instance, that was pretty corny and felt out of place in what had been a pretty stern and grown up science fiction movie up until that point. Even with all that said though, I still liked the thing overall, I still felt invested in it. Possibly due to Mcconaughey going all in, he was really great actually. 

3 hours ago, Selina Kyle said:

It's a shame about the new Marty that goes back to 1955 and is replaced by the old Marty now in an alternate timeline. Wait, would he have even gone back in the altered timeline? None of this fucking makes sense...

3 hours ago, Hawmy said:

don't think about it too much .

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

It was the 'on the fly' problem solving attitude to massive space travel problems which didn't sit well with me, I wasn't able to suspend my disbelief for that stuff, so it felt disappointing. I'm normally the one whom rolls the eyes when other people get hung up on and moan about science in movies, but even I found this a stretch too far. The now cliché "we'll just slingshot ourselves around it" solution towards the end of film for instance, that was pretty corny and felt out of place in what had been a pretty stern and grown up science fiction movie up until that point. Even with all that said though, I still liked the thing overall, I still felt invested in it. Possibly due to Mcconaughey going all in, he was really great actually. 

How was the Hans?

I thought his contribution was very effective. There was basically that one musical idea applied over almost everything, and it worked superbly. Not one I'd listen to standalone though, I can't imagine how that would work. 

Very true. That's my fav bit of the score. Very prog-rock!

Listen to this if you have a spare 9 minutes. Love these kinds of tracks that start out slowly and softy and build into an absolute beast.

The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift

I was told this was the worst one, but it wasn't that bad. The new lead was alright, and the first race over that dude's girlfriend was surprisingly thrilling.

Silliest moment was when he was on a date with that girl in Japan and she's drifting the car and talking so casually. Like, these people who are barely out of nappies can drive like they've been doing it for longer than the motor vehicle has been invented!

Now back to the Mark Sinclair ones. He reminds me of Telly Savalas or Humphrey Bogart.

Fast & Fourious

Not bad. The scope of these movies is obviously getting bigger. I still liked the more intimate story in Tokyo Drift more. Can't wait to watch Fast Five, which is often cited as the best one.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I too am guilty of having a weird unexplainable desire to binge the Fast/Furious movies.  I was going to wait until they were done, but who knows when that'll be.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO9OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

I feel I wanna see all the Resident Evil movies for some reason.

N...alright.

4 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

I too am guilty of having a weird unexplainable desire to binge the Fast/Furious movies.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I feel I wanna see all the Resident Evil movies for some reason.

Ditto to both of these, kind of want to binge all the Underworlds too

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Fast & Furious 3 and 4 are the first films in the franchise that felt like proper movies to me. Not particularly good ones, mind you, but still more competently made than the first two, which felt like cheap sunday afternoon TV movies. That being said, both films took themselves too seriously and had rather bland storylines (and a really dull lead in the third one).

Fast Five: that's when the fun begins!

I started watching Fast Five tonight but had to stop and go to bed. But it's really good so far!

The first few seem like they're really niche for car obsessives, but this one feels like a proper action movie for a wider audience.

Just now, BloodBoal said:

Time for a Fast & Furious Retrospective Thread!

"In Fast Five, Justin Lin paints in a clear strokes and demonstrates in excellent artistry the statement of Human Nature vs Automation.  Man vs. Industry.  We are but machines to our masters.  He is a genius visual storyteller, and so much better than that hack Miyazaki.  I will now no longer bother with the rest of those cartoons."