What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

8 hours ago, JohnSolo said:

I can't really say TFA was hokey, except for that cantina bit, which was made hokey intentionally.

Ah, the "It was supposed to be cheesy" card, which the Star Wars Prequel and Twin Peaks fans always keep handy in their wallets. The bar scene in TFA was the least of its hokiness.

15 hours ago, Richard said:

It's easy to pour scorn on ROTJ, especially after the previous two films, but, as threequels go, it's still a fun ride, which might just have the best STAR WARS score, of all. I revisit this score far more than any other SW music, especially CD two - BROTHER/SISTER, FATHER/SON onwards; breathtaking.

Were we separated at birth?

c642096c7b294b8fa0e4473316767fc7_th.jpg

First hour was pretty good (best Wolverine movie so far) but everything came tumbling down in the second part. 5/10

23 hours ago, Richard said:

Am I the only one who doesn't give a single tinker's cuss, if an Ewok gets killed? I just don't care. I didn't give a fuck, in 1983, and I don't give a fuck in 2017, so there!

Sweep, they weren't AT-ATs, they were AT-STs :P (but I take your point).

In fact, where was the Walker? Was it in the shop, that afternoon?

I was admittedly using 'Walkers' as a catch-all title for both there.

Excalibur - I'll take John Boorman's telling of the Arthurian legend over Guy Ritchie's Beckham-cameoing 'Lock-Stockified' flop version any day of the week.

EXCALIBUR is really good. It looks good (thanks to Alex Thompson) and it sounds good, and oh, yeah...Helen Mirren (sigh).

Did you watch it on the new Warner Bros. Blu release?

OUTLAND looks good, on Blu, as well.

6 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

c642096c7b294b8fa0e4473316767fc7_th.jpg

First hour was pretty good (best Wolverine movie so far) but everything came tumbling down in the second part. 5/10

Logan now qualifies as an "older" film?

We don't want to upset KM, now do we?

2 hours ago, Richard said:

EXCALIBUR is really good. It looks good (thanks to Alex Thompson) and it sounds good, and oh, yeah...Helen Mirren (sigh).

What's the difference?

5 hours ago, Richard said:

OUTLAND looks good, on Blu, as well.

It was the 2011 standard DVD ... my local Sainsbury's recently had it for £3, doubtless inspired to stock it by the release of the Ritchie movie (they've done it before with other DVDs that had something to do with a current cinema release, too).  

Prometheus.

not nearly as bad as the Internet would have you believe. Ok, it feels like 2/3rds of a film and Lindelof's dirty paw prints are all over it but it was alright. It probably should have linked a bit closer to Alien. I think of the plot had just been about the old guy trying to find something to prolong his life and they dropped the pseudo intellectual bullshit about Gods and creation and had included a proper climax it would have been very satisfying. Some of the characters (Theron, Shaw's boyfriend) felt very one note. Theron played a particularly cliched part. 

Will probably never watch it again but I don't regret watching it. Was expecting AvP levels of bad!

1. Aliens

2. Alien

3. Prometheus 

is how id rank what I've seen in this franchise so far.

15 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Why not watch all the films in the order they were released?

Anyway, AVP is less pretentious than Prometheus and as a result more fun. Plus, it has Lance Henriksen!

I had planned to watch them on release order but I was home for the weekend and only brought Aliens with me. 

Had different plans for last night but ciuldnt stomach watching the Sunday Game so stuck on Prometheus as my sister has a copy. 

Doesn't Scott pretty much ignore 3 and 4 anyway?

I should get a chance to watch 3 this week (if not tonight).

seeing Harry Potter live to projection tomorrow night though! 

If i get through 3, Resurection, and Covenant I'd feel so obligated to see the AvP mess. I saw one of them when I was a kid but have very little memory of them. 

Someone was dying of cancer cancer and there were aliens underground or something. 

I guess people's problems with Prometheus stem from people's expectations of Scott returning to the franchise but then making a film that doesn't really resemble the franchise. I guess that'd be a major issue if you were a die hard. 

It's not a great movie. I would go so far as to say it's a bad movie either though. 

It just kinda is. Feels unresolved (hello Damon) and not as smart as it thinks it is (hello Damon). I guess it feels a little half baked. 

Alien had had lots of mystery but the character's stories resolve. Shaw's story didn't resolve and it doesn't look like she's in the sequel so maybe the new one makes Prometheus look even worse?

It did look absolutely stunning though. One of the best looking films in recent years.

1 hour ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

It did look absolutely stunning though. One of the best looking films in recent years.

It just looks standard, IMO. Robin Hood, Exodus, Prometheus ... they are all made in a similar workmanlike manner. There's nothing unusual artistic about them.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Prometheus-Blu-ray/39475/#Screenshots

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I agree, actually.  Certainly nowhere near as visually striking as Blade Runner or Legend or even Gladiator (Scott's most overrated film).

Actually, Legend start off with some nifty looking shots but the whole climax in "Darkness' palace" (with the mirrors) looks terrible (all close-ups with no sense of sets).

You should see Alien on Blu-ray on a Plasma screen.  It's orgasmic! But also incredibly well presented in terms of mise-en-scene and direction. 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

You should see Alien on Blu-ray on a Plasma screen.  It's orgasmic! 

It's never made me want to wank when I watch it on mine. You must get turned on by weird things.

The Dark Crystal

Haven't seen this one in a while, but the new series coming out put me in the mood for it. Still just about as good as I remembered. You can tell they really went through a lot of effort in creating the world, and making it as detailed as possible.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

I don't know why I feel the urge to compare this one to Star Wars: A New Hope, but I'm going to do it anyway because resistence seems to be futile.

I didn't know anything about Star Trek except Big Bang Theory references. I couldn't start with the Original Series because only some episodes were available with audio description. The summary of this first film made me think it was going to be just like Star Wars: unprofound, superficial storylines full of unexplained references to events in the past we knew nothing about (or in this case, events that had happened in the series). What I did not expect was that this would be way better than A New Hope. Both are simple stories, but here everything makes perfect sense to someone who's utterly unfamiliar with the universe. I would have liked to learn more about Spock's background, but other than that, we had no pathetic 'You fought in the Clone Wars?! / Learn about the Force!' moments. I didn't find it fantastic, but I'm sufficiently intrigued to want to watch more Star Trek films in the future. I especially loved the final twists regarding the alien ship. Way better than good guys fighting bad guys and then ending with a rushed celebration.

But Star Wars did have better music. I knew the Star Trek theme already, but was rather surprised that it was performed in such a fast-paced way. It was clearly inspired on the Star Wars fanfare, but it worked all the same. The rest was uneventful underscore.

57 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

But Star Wars did have better music. I knew the Star Trek theme already, but was rather surprised that it was performed in such a fast-paced way. It was clearly inspired on the Star Wars fanfare, but it worked all the same. The rest was uneventful underscore.

Wrong. Great stuff in there. Well worth giving it a proper listen outside of the film.

8 hours ago, Stefancos said:

TMP has one of the finest scores in history!

Whoops! I read that the other way

around, as TPM :lol:

8 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Oh, I thought you meant TPM. 

So did I!

Anyway...TMP is a very strong candidate for the accolade 

Single Finest Achievement In The History Of Motion Picture Music

It really is up there with STAR WARS, GONE WITH THE WIND, PSYCHO, LAWERENCE OF ARABIA, and BEN-HUR.