What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

If I'm so easy to please, then why doesn't LOTR do it for me?

Speaking of horror, I watched Saw III last night. Not bad at all! But the ending seems pretty final, but they made four more and they're making another one! I can't wait to see what Saw IV is like.

It's been about 15 years since I watched LOTR, but I recall it having a bit of an identity crisis by trying to be all serious but the director can't quite leave his background behind and lets some of his horror schlockiness seep through.

Just now, JohnSolo said:

None of the scenes in LOTR can be even remotely compared to horror.

He means things like when the orcs eat one of their own and you see intestines flying.  That's the first one that comes to mind.

But Alien: Covenant. I mean. Wow. That movie was awesome. It's going to be difficult ranking the best movies this year between that, Logan and Kong: Skull Island as the best of the year.

I only watched the first LOTR and was falling asleep throughout, but I remember a scene with a bunch of monsters running around in broad daylight that looked really schlocky. The battle between the Ewoks and monsters at the end of the second Ewok movie looked better than that.

16 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I should watch that. That Ash seems like my kinda hero!

I got a call one day—I've told this story, but it's a good one—a real typical Jim Cameron conversation. "Hey, Bill, have you seen Evil Dead 2 yet?" "No, what's Evil Dead 2?" "I'll pick you up in 15 minutes." Click. We drove out to East L.A., to some 99-cent house, five o'clock in the afternoon. We sit down and he goes, "Watch this." And at the end, he goes, "This guy's a hell of a filmmaker. It's not every day that you see a movie that starts a new genre: the horror cartoon." -- Bill Paxton 

I confessedly feel Braindead (or Dead Alive, I think either title works) is even better than anything Evil Dead-related. 

Horror fans are indeed a more laid-back crowd than usual, I can confirm that. But Alien: Covenant sounds like pure utter nonsense of the disposable sort. 

Braindead was okay for a couple of viewings with my mates back in the day. But it didn't have the lasting appeal and rewatchability factor that Evil Dead had, not even close. 'Tis the original init. 

For your eyes only.

Certainly not bad at all! Especially the first half was good. I did lose some interest during the second part, but the final scene was totally worth it. Didn't like Melina and don't understand why the general didn't try to kill Bond at the end.

The score was really interesting. It was overflowing with energy, joy and emotion all the time. Possibly my favourite Bond score so far, though that On Her Majesty's Secret Service theme was equally good, but here, the underscore was definitely superior to anything I've heard in the series so far. During one chase sequence, I did fear the worst after a two-note theme clearly suggested Jaws would make another appearance, but luckily that didn't happen. And the song is most definitely my favourite so far: its mood was oddly fitting given Moore's passing.

Summer Lovers

Ah yes, the 1970s and 1980s occasionally turned out the 'travelogue masquerading as a movie' subgenre, like The Wilderness Family. Only this time, featuring a young couple vacationing in the Greek Isles and having a menage a trois with a French woman. Randal Kleiser's screenplay is rather vacuous and his directing isn't much better, but the gorgeous cinematography and the three beautiful leads (Peter Gallagher, Daryl Hannah, Valerie Quenessen) elevate the movie above otherwise forgettable '80s fluff.

On 2017-5-27 at 3:28 PM, Disco Stu said:

I totally get criticism of the Shermans being too cheesy and saccharine in some films, but their music for Poppins is pure joy.  "Feed the Birds" can make me cry to this day.

I didn't much like Marry Poppins. Not the film, and not the songs and score. But Feed the Birds is brilliant and the reason why I'll probably end up getting the CD anyway.

I watched Jaws tonight, for the first time in 5+ years. The shark maaan, it looked... fine.

It looks absolutely fine! 

2017 - the Jaws hairstyles look more dated than the special effects. Timelessness confirmed.  

Sleeping Beauty (1959)

Watched with my daughter.  This is still one of my favorite Disney animated films but if I were to have a "hot take" it would be what utterly foolish, selfish failures the three fairies in the film are.  They rob the king and queen of raising their only child, fail utterly at their task through their own reckless negligence, then cast a spell on the whole kingdom to cover up their failure.

Great movie though :) 

Captain from Castile

Great first hour, has that intrigue and rousing swashbuckling action that made Tyrone Power a star with The Mark of Zorro. Once Power's Pedro gets to the New World, it turns into tedious melodrama. (That sarabanda scene with him and Jean Peters is still quite sensuous, given that it was made in the 1940s.) Sumptuous Technicolor cinematography and a rousing Alfred Newman score.

I would love to see another director take a stab at the swashbuckler genre. The Pirates of the Caribbean films just aren't cutting it, strip out the CGI, cut out the anachronisms, and go for an old-fashioned mid-budget style.

There's funny intentional anachronisms in the third Pirates movie that I like, like using real pirate flags and referencing real pirates from different places and centuries putting them all together. It gets away with it because of the themes and the tone (there's anti-colonial overtones that I imagine I won't see in older movies, and the marine folklore and superstition turned into reality is actually kinda original to me). But I'm not well versed into the older pirate movies.

I wish there were more "space" Westerns!  Star Trek is very much in that tradition.  We love our American mythos about pushing ever outwards, always staying on the frontier, and telling stories about the complications that can arise from that.

The similarities are not one-to-one, but basically all Westerns are about white people exploring and colonizing Western territory and the friction that happens with either (a) the environment, (b) native Americans, (c) Mexicans, or (d) human nature in those extreme frontiers.  Basically Star Trek is about humans exploring out into space and the friction that happens with (a) the environment, (b) native cultures, (c) other space-faring cultures also pushing out, or (d) human nature on the extreme frontier.

I'm over simplifying of course, just to point out the similarities.

Those are very broad similarities though, which you could easily apply to other cultures than the classic Western frontier.The strong military aspect of Star Trek makes it distinctly unwestern to me. And yes, Starfleet IS military, despite what Roddenberry may have told hippies the the 70's!

Yes, as I said, the similarities aren't one-to-one.  It's why DS9 is the best series, because the scope of characters was more broad, less focused on just military.

But simplifying even further, both are about stories told on the frontier, where characters' morals are tested because they have to hold themselves accountable where the law might not.

1 minute ago, BloodBoal said:

Star Trek never felt particularly western-y to me. Maybe there are some similarities, like the ones Stu mentioned, but in terms of tone and atmosphere (which are an integral part of the western genre), Star Trek is vastly different!

I never said the tones were the same!  But they satisfy some of the same human storytelling instincts!