What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

2 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

Maybe Gosling should have directed Blade Runner?

Shows how much you know!  Gosling wasn't even 2 when Blade Runner released!

15 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Lost River

file_748504_LostRiver3.jpg

Ryan Gosling's movie has ASMR, dreamlike qualities with touches of David Lynch. 6/10

MV5BMTU5NDAyOTYyNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDI4

Alex

Wasn't this trashed as pretentious drivel by the critics?

I was curious about it though.

37 minutes ago, KK said:

Wasn't this trashed as pretentious drivel by the critics?

I was curious about it though.

Absolutely! It's like movie critics hate everyone who's attempting a shot at arthouse film these days. Gosling is influenced by directors like Malick, Lynch and Refn, and yes, his film clearly doesn't hide that. Is that so wrong?! Sure, Lost River is not great (even though Guillermo Del Toro thinks it is) but it's really not bad either.

Alex

1 minute ago, Richard said:

I'm not sure if it's worth 8/10, but it's certainly an interesting film, and it has a unique selling-point.

It's a very good revenge western with terrific performances from the entire cast, and for being his only film as a director, Brando sure does a great job. I know some have argued it was also influential on some Western spaghetti's too.

Interesting production as well. At one point Stanley Kubrick was set to direct and Sam Peckinpah worked on the script, of course neither ended up happening, but hey the movie we got isn't half-bad either. 

I, robot. Pretty good. The sound effects were nicely distributed across all the channels. The score worked but was unmemorable. Will Smith's 'aaarghs' did sound all the same.

Wild-Tales-Official-Trailer-the-vandalli

Wild Tales:

WildTales.jpg

6 short stories about revenge and all of them were instantly immersive. Quite an achievement. I could easily watch another six. The one about the two drivers was probably the best one. Must check out what other movies this director has under his belt. 7/10

Alex

The maze runner. Not bad at all, though I don't understand how people can be stuck in a maze for three years and then hate someone who's finally willing to do something about it. Also don't understand how the doctor committed suicide and then survived, but I'll be interested in the sequel. The score's dramatic parts are way better than its brainless action cues. Also, why in the world does everything need to thump, bang and clang these days? Even when you configure your speakers in such a way that all the low frequencies should be filtered out, half of it still sounds like an earthquake.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

100125.jpg?cb=1405311567

Wild Tales:

WildTales.jpg

6 short stories about revenge and all of them were instantly immersive. Quite an achievement. I could easily watch another six. The one about the two drivers was probably the best one. Must check out what other movies this director has under his belt. 7/10

Alex

See Tiempo de Valientes. It's without a doubt his best one.

The Princess Bride

It's hugely overrated fluff. One problem is the framing story, which works well on paper, but it doesn't work that well on film. Another problem is the direction, Rob Reiner overplays the silly wink-nudge-nudge tone to the point where it gets distracting. And third is the titular heroine, she's passive and not much of a participant in her own story. I can see why it has endured as long as it has: Cary Elwes and Robin Wright 'click' from their first scene onward, and the film is eminently quotable. I wish the author had taken more liberties with adapting his book and that the tone had played straighter. There are several fun scenes but the film doesn't really gel together for me.

I remember when Stardust came out and people kept bringing The Princess Bride... it's kinda mystifying. Stardust is much more fun from start to finish IMO.

ivanschildhood_lg.jpg?w=474

Some damn fine filmmaking -not unexpected considering the director- but the child actor really shines here. Fantastic stuff. Not perfect by any means, but still pretty damn great.

8/10

11 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

See Tiempo de Valientes. It's without a doubt his best one.

I will!

I don't know how I'm going to do that (it's not like it's on Netflix or something)... but I will!

14 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

ivanschildhood_lg.jpg?w=474

Some damn fine filmmaking -not unexpected considering the director- but the child actor really shines here. Fantastic stuff. Not perfect by any means, but still pretty damn great.

8/10

Is it Tarkovsky's Empire Of The Sun?

Oh it's a friggin' slog. All these people who claim to have read the whole thing must have the endurance of an Olympic marathon runner on a rainy day. I can only take so much detailed description of a tree, characters breaking into song, and Hobbits stopping for a meal every second page. Thankfully Peter Jackson shaved off all that rubbish and found a story in all that blather.

19 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Bambi

Just art.  Gets my vote for greatest animated film.

giphy.gif

First half is pure magic and absolutely amazing, however, once they age it seems to lose all of that.  Never really cared much for that later half.  Certainly a great film overall, though.