What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

9 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Is it Tarkovsky's Empire Of The Sun?

Pretty much. Spielberg seemed to take a great deal of influence from this particular film, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere.

1 hour ago, nightscape94 said:

First half is pure magic and absolutely amazing, however, once they age it seems to lose all of that.  Never really cared much for that later half.  Certainly a great film overall, though.

For me it's the other way around, the first half is too sugary but the second is really really engaging, except for that love part... Ugh...

5 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Why not?

Admittedly, I've only seen it once. But after having had an audio cassette version as a child that terrified me so much that I kept skipping the beginning side B (where the mother is shot), when I finally watched the film a few years ago I found it lacking in story and poorly paced. There's a brief exciting sequence in the finale, but it's over before it really gets going. It didn't help that I found the songs too much on the cheesy side.

As a display of animation, it's of course gorgeous.

23 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Wild-Tales-Official-Trailer-the-vandalli

Wild Tales:

WildTales.jpg

6 short stories about revenge and all of them were instantly immersive. Quite an achievement. I could easily watch another six. The one about the two drivers was probably the best one. Must check out what other movies this director has under his belt. 7/10

Alex

A lot of fun. That first scene on the airplane is hilarious! 

17 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I've always preferred Donald Duck to bland...bland Mickey!

You're not exactly alone. Donald Duck was always more popular back in the day because of his "hot-tempered personality". 

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

I haven't seen most of the Harry Potter films in many years, but I always have had a faint memory that the earlier films have a warmer and more lighthearted tone than the later ones. I think I prefer the lighter tone, but we'll see when I watch the rest of them.

49 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Harry Potter grows up and so do the movies. Some viewers can't relate to that.

Mostly the ones that haven't grown up themselves. 

On 6/17/2017 at 2:44 PM, Alexcremers said:

Wild-Tales-Official-Trailer-the-vandalli

Wild Tales:

WildTales.jpg

6 short stories about revenge and all of them were instantly immersive. Quite an achievement. I could easily watch another six. The one about the two drivers was probably the best one. Must check out what other movies this director has under his belt. 7/10

Alex

I loved it:

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/24637-what-is-the-last-film-you-watched-newer-films/&page=124#comment-1243260

Well, I thought you guys were only interested in CGI movies. Talking about CGI.  Now we finally can talk about the explosion. Remember that? That was the most impressive explosion I've ever seen. Not the explosion itself, of course, but the effect it has on people much further away. In fact, from a visual storytelling point of view, the whole direction was quite incredible. 

Yea, it was awesome.

Overall, it was one of those movies I wanted to watch again shortly after seeing it.  Gotta remember to buy the blu

Both @Jay and @Alexcremers need to see Tiempo de Valientes if you liked Wild Tales

I found it's on Amazon so come on, there's no excuse

001_j2s7fh.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Probation-Tiempo-valientes-Blu-Ray-Reg/dp/B00LE373R0/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1497921356&sr=1-3&keywords=damian+szifron

The Departed

How exactly did this movie win the Academy Award for Best Picture? I like Scorsese and I like this cast, but The Departed is a giant, muddled mess. The movie starts off with some world building, introducing us to the world of South Boston in the 1970's, going so far as to use actual news footage from the period. There's a quick introduction of Jack Nicholson (who is a joy to watch in all his scenery-chewing grandure and almost saves the movie) and the Matt Damon character before flashing forward to the present and basically hooking up with the storyline of Infernal Affairs, the far superior Hong Kong thriller of which this film is a remake. Once we're on track with that story, it really becomes inconsequential what world or city this movie is set in, so all that setup in the first half of the film is wasted. The movie largely follows the same beats as the original, but changes the ending and some pivotal character moments, which makes me wonder if the filmmakers even understood what story they were trying to retell.

Oddly, there's a puff piece documentary on the DVD extra's that tries to connect the Nicholson character with Whitey Bulger, but the story of Bulger is not the story that is being told here. There may be some similarities shoehorned in, but The Departed remains a remake of Infernal Affairs no matter how you look at it. If the filmmakers wanted to tell the story of Bulger, they should have done just that.

Bold and large in scope, as one would expect from a movie directed by Martin Scorsese, but very good it ain't.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

The Departed

How exactly did this movie win the Academy Award for Best Picture? I like Scorsese and I like this cast, but The Departed is a giant, muddled mess.

How? Convoluted stories at bullet speed pacing! It's what Nolan and Scorsese are doing for quite some time now and with great success. Basic stories that thrive on atmosphere and big themes are out of fashion. Being able to keep up with the pace is the new 'smart'.

Alex

I agree with Mr. Breath. It's a good film, but it's a far cry from stone-cold classics, such as ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE, TAXI DRIVER, and THE KING OF COMEDY (for me, his finest cinematic achievement).

I'll take "atmosphere and big themes" over "keeping up with the pace", any day.

They forgot to award sooner so it was a consolation prize. With that said, I've noticed a lot of younger fellas think it's the dog's dick. Maybe it's their Goodfellas.

On 6/19/2017 at 9:18 PM, Muad'Dib said:

Both @Jay and @Alexcremers need to see Tiempo de Valientes if you liked Wild Tales

I found it's on Amazon so come on, there's no excuse

https://www.amazon.com/Probation-Tiempo-valientes-Blu-Ray-Reg/dp/B00LE373R0/ref=sr_1_3?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1497921356&sr=1-3&keywords=damian+szifron

Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out!

19 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

How? Convoluted stories at bullet speed pacing! It's what Nolan and Scorsese are doing for quite some time now and with great success. Basic stories that thrive on atmosphere and big themes are out of fashion. Being able to keep up with the pace is the new 'smart'.

Alex

Scorsese's last movie was everything but