What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The Battle of Britain

Its a bit disjointed and the charcters don't really seem to have arcs and a lot of stories of seemingly important characters just end but let's face it, we only watch this for the dogfights which still look great all these years later. 

It's just ridiculous that Lucasfilm hasn't done a digital restoration of the original film.  But no need to retread that ground yet again.  It is what it is.

8 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

All the official releases are Lucassed versions!

The Laserdisc version on the bonus disc doesn't contain extra CGI scenes, right? I saw that version but the resolution is simply not good enough. Perfect for a Sony Trinitron but not for 50" Plasma screens.

2 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Can't say. Haven't really compared the two, though there are a few comparison pictures and videos to be found on online (not the best way to really compare the two, given the low resolution, but still...):

56xpOmp.jpg

What a gang rape of a movie that turned out to be.

Nights in Rodanthe.

I was first going to write that I really liked it, but then the ending came, which sort of ruined it. It was touching, but I'd have preferred another conclusion.

The score was rather interesting. One romantic dialogue was scored with a cello solo, which really worked, so I then hoped that their first kiss would receive some grand orchestral music, but that didn't happen at all. It got percussion. There were nice romantic moments, but they could have been more.

The Man Who Haunted Himself - 70s psychological thriller starring a post-Saint pre-Bond Roger Moore, who after recovering from a life-saving operation after a car accident finds his life dogged by incidents and meetings with people that he absolutely doesn't recall being there for ... does he have a doppelganger, or is he losing his mind? 

Intriguing and winningly weird, and one to sit people who insist that Moore wasn't much of an actor down in front of ... he's very good indeed in this.  

It is, Lee. It's one of those films that you'll find on Channel 4, at 3:30, on a Saturday afternoon, in between the racing, and some gardening programme, but don't let that fool you. It's a little gem of a movie.

Also, check-out Moore's star-turn, in Brian Pern; priceless!

How to train your dragon. The story is not bad at all, but why am I even talking about the plot when the score was so incredibly amazing? John Powell has surprised me lots of times, but this was just incredible. Fantastic main theme, terrific action music, stunningly beautiful. Even if the movie had been the most terrible thing ever made, I'd still have kept watching. Let's get that soundtrack.

High-Rise. It's one of the few more recent films that made an impression on me. There's something very Kubrickian about this feverish adaptation of JG Ballard's novel. The brutalist production design is a big part of that, of course. Bizarre but fascinating film about the collapse of society as encapsulated by the titular high-rise and it's inhabitants. Sort of similar to Snowpiercer in some respects. There's something eerie about it in the light of recent events in the UK. Great actors, solid filmmaking and Clint Mansell's great score (his finest work). I can't understand why it received such poor reviews.

Oh and Blu-ray looks very good too. :)

Karol - who liked all Ben Wheatley's films far

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

How to train your dragon. The story is not bad at all, but why am I even talking about the plot when the score was so incredibly amazing? John Powell has surprised me lots of times, but this was just incredible. Fantastic main theme, terrific action music, stunningly beautiful. Even if the movie had been the most terrible thing ever made, I'd still have kept watching. Let's get that soundtrack.

The second one is even better! 

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

I can't understand why it received such poor reviews.

Actually, reviews were mixed and that could be a good sign these days.

Star Wars, The Silver Screen Edition

Golly, you wouldn't believe what I went through to make this work due to the massive size of the file, compatability issues on my storage and playback devices and other headaches. Glad I don't do this very often, but for a respectable version of this movie that I can show to my cats, I'd crawl over broken glass.

People might complain about the grainy picture quality and other nicks and flicks that are merely characteristics of the generational source, but the Grindhouse look suits this movie well. And it looks good! This is a beautiful restoration of a lost and zombified classic. The painstaking effort to restore this 35mm cinema reel must have been a monumental task without the support of studio resources. It looks better than the 2011 blu-ray because it hasn't had all that noise reduction applied, colours really pop out, and the blacks are superb. Just a nice, warm filmic image.

This will be my go-to version from now on. I'll have to back it up on several USB sticks. I understand the one I have is Version 1, but there's a V1.6 out there. What's the difference? Am I missing anything significant?

Are they planning a similar restoration of ESB and ROTJ?

1 hour ago, Sally Spectra said:

This will be my go-to version from now on. I'll have to back it up on several USB sticks. I understand the one I have is Version 1, but there's a V1.6 out there. What's the difference? Am I missing anything significant?

Yes, the Jabba scene. 

Postcards from the Edge

Denis Quiad is a poor man's Harrison Ford.

I can't put my finger on why but I really can't stand Meryl Streep.

overall it's very good though and I wish Carrie had written more. 

16 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Actually, reviews were mixed and that could be a good sign these days.

Have you seen it, Alex?

Karol

10 hours ago, Hawmy said:

Is it worth watching if I still have the vhs?

A restoration like this is why I bought my 65" plasma TV.

That, along with ID4, Titanic, CE3K, Poltergeist, Ghostbusters, BTTF, Star Trek, Alien, Superman, Batman, Raiders, etc.

Last night I watched Single White Female, which had one particular scene that superficially today, is really hot and there are scenes like it in some many flicks - the part where Bridget Fonda catches JJL playing with herself.

On its own, the act is just that, masturbation. But the way its framed in this movie made me laugh because it's clearly a visual device to suggest that JJL's character is sad, depraved, mentally ill, sinful and evil. That's contrasted by the opposing image of Fonda holding a cute puppy (a picture of innocence) after having sex with her man (traditional intercourse is the only sex that won't make God punish you). Basically, JJL is a lunatic who doesn't get laid often, and Fonda is the goodie because she has regular sex.

Although this movie is an effective thriller, its presentation of sex makes it really outdated and wanking isn't quite the taboo it was in the early 1990s!