What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

19 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

I adored this film!!! The opening with Heston and his companions on the desert was truly outstanding. It hooked me from there, but I kept thinking the moment the ape masks show up, this film will fall apart.... On the contrary. Sure, some of the effects look terribly dated by today's standards but it's still pretty damn impressive what they were able to do and more often than not the emotions the make-up was able to transmit left my jaw by the floor. Maybe I'm being overly positive, but somehow what could have been a very silly film works wonders and it's a lot smarter than it appears to be. Sure, it's all a little in your face, but the talks about evolution, religion, man kind and animals had me glued to the screen... That trial scene! How in the hell you make that work? I honestly don't know, but it does.

Of course I knew the ending, but all in all I loved this gem. I want to watch it again as soon as possible. 

POTA is a brilliant satire and a film everyone should have seen. The trial scene retains its power not matter how often you rewatch it.

16 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

The other films are quite solid, too (the fifth one excepted).

I've only seen the second one once and didn't like it much, as far as I recall. The last one drags so much that I can't really remember any of it. But I enjoyed Escape, and especially Conquest, which is perhaps the only one that tries to build on the satire aspect of the original. I don't recall the different endings though. I don't know if my Blu-ray version even has them?

Beneath is too weird and does the annoying thing where they replace pivotal cast members, although there's plenty of eye candy. The underground scenes drag, but there's a really wild ending out of nowhere complete with Paul Frees narration, around the time he would have done The Haunted Mansion at Disneyland. That being noted, the ending is one of the darkest ever.

14 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

*SPOILERS FOR MUAD'DIB. DO NOT READ!*

You MANIAC!!! YOU SPOILED IT UP!

Damn you.... DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!!

250px-Deep_Space_Homer-Press_Conference.

*just kidding, didn't read dem spoilers

Room

A genuine nightmare movie about a poor woman locked in a torture chamber with a squeaky voiced brat who'd be enough to make you consider escape through suicide. I bet they never left at all. Their escape was just a fantasy. A beautiful lie. Should have been called 'Doom'.

Spirited Away

This is a dang good movie. This was the second time I've seen it ,and it was much less exciting and surprising. Without the shock, I really noticed how great of movie it is. Incredibly well paced. I love all the characters. It's great. 

9 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

Brie Larson wielding a big fuckin' gun and kickin' ass!

free-fire.20170504015450.jpg

I am intensely terrible at articulating myself, hence I am extremely nervous of the idea of gushing about a superhero movie (whether or not it's a good one) in this area. You're better off asking my cat what she thought of this movie than reading this brainless praise. But I'll let it out anyway.

Batman Returns is for my personal resonance the most satisfying superhero movie ever made and Tim Burton's most engrossing work, as well as Danny Elfman's most spiritual listening experience. 
I find it especially difficult to choose a favorite aspect to single out why I love this thing. Everything feels perfect. The performances are insane and perfect and insanely perfect, I can't hold one above the other (though if I HAD to choose a favorite character, it'd likely be Danny DeVito's appealingly disgusting Penguin). I can't choose a favorite scene, as despite being a rather long film I can't think of a single moment I'd cut out (either for story significance or just pure sick fun). Selina Kyle going all Ren Hoek and becoming Catwoman isn't my favorite moment, but it's perhaps a watershed moment. The moment I first get goosebumps, my eyes get all watery and I know I'm in for something super special and suited to my tastes. It's also one of the greatest Danny Elfman moments ever, if not the greatest. I wasn't a big fan of him as a composer (I was in the "he should've stuck with Oingo Boingo" category) until I experienced this film and finally grasped why he's damn gnarly.

Please don't read this. Just scroll past and move on with your Giacchino-hating lives. 

The opening cue is a total barnstormer and the score in general is very memorable, yes. I'm not sure what I'd make of it if I listened to it today, though. Has it aged well? 

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

The opening cue is a total barnstormer and the score in general is very memorable, yes. I'm not sure what I'd make of it if I listened to it today, though. Has it aged well? 

I think it has aged very well indeed;  The complete 2CD version released by LLL is an extremely solid listen.  The whole score sounds great

2 hours ago, Sally Spectra said:

No, it's so dated. That orchestra screams 1992.

Yeah, well, there's a good reason for that :lol:

2 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I am intensely terrible at articulating myself...

No you're not, kasey! A very good post, this is. I did not scroll past, but read it all. Nice.

Ps, I don't hate M.G.

INSIDE OUT, and JUPITER ASCENDING, are my favourite M.G. scores.

Star Trek Beyond (the first 20 minutes)

I couldn't make it past the Enterprise blowing up. It was so obviously going to be replaced at the end, anyway. So bad. It was like a shitty boring Voyager two-parter, if there ever was such a thing. I have no intention of ever finishing it.

6 hours ago, Richard said:

Yeah, well, there's a good reason for that :lol:

No you're not, kasey! A very good post, this is. I did not scroll past, but read it all. Nice.

Ps, I don't hate M.G.

INSIDE OUT, and JUPITER ASCENDING, are my favourite M.G. scores.

If you say so, chap...I generally get nervous and anxiety-filled when trying to write anything resembling a review.

For the record, I like Giacchino okay. Neither a big fan or a hater. But I really like INSIDE OUT and DAWN OF THE PLANET OF THE APES and I find much to enjoy in JURASSIC WORLD. 

The Piano.

Harvey Keitel would have been one of those people who'd buy an expensive hi-fi system. Only back in the olden days, you had to get a girl in your house to play the music for you.

Was surprised and grossed out to see Keitel's dicky doo. Don't these actors get embarrassed that images of their genitals are available for the world to see on celluloid and blu-ray? But anyhoo, Holly Hunter's nice boobs and cute little toosh made up for it.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:04 PM, Evil-Lyn said:

Star Trek Beyond (the first 20 minutes)

I couldn't make it past the Enterprise blowing up. It was so obviously going to be replaced at the end, anyway. So bad. It was like a shitty boring Voyager two-parter, if there ever was such a thing. I have no intention of ever finishing it.

It is one of the worst big blockbuster movies I have seen.  It starts bad and gets worse and worse as it goes.  And then, to add insult to injury, the last couple of minutes are almost exactly like the previous two endings. 

I would take Voyager any day over this, unless it featured Neelix, but that is like Sophie's choice in reverse.

On 8-7-2017 at 9:46 PM, Evil-Lyn said:

Cannon films are usually pretty solid.

That's just it, they aren't. They made movies on the cheap to make a quick buck. 

Doctor Strange:

During the film I constantly thought, this has to be a technical director that understands complicated FX scenes but doesn't have a clue about storytelling or characters. Wow! What a bland movie! FX over everything else! One of the worst Marvels to date. Luckily it was free on netflix.

doctor-strange2.jpg?w=1000&h=563&crop=1

Alex

And the talent of Chiwetel Ejiofor was completely wasted here.

This one clip from Serenity is better than the whole of Doctor Strange:

Well, at least Ejiofor is teased to possibly be the main villain in the next film.  Should be more for him to sink his teeth into in that.  Although Mikkelson was largely wasted in this first movie.  The usual MCU villain problem.  I liked this movie quite a bit though.  Entertaining fluff.

13 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I did like how they handled the climax and the way it was resolved, but other than that, I agree.

Yup

I found many individual things about the movie to be very entertaining and fun, but they didn't add up to much.  I liked Cumberbatch, Swinton, and Benedict Wong.  The fight scenes were cool.  I dug the overall silly vibe.  But yeah, the story wasn't... anything really and the villain stuff was just bad.

15 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Well, at least Ejiofor is teased to possibly be the main villain in the next film.  Should be more for him to sink his teeth into in that.  Although Mikkelson was largely wasted in this first movie.  The usual MCU villain problem.  I liked this movie quite a bit though.  Entertaining fluff.

A next film?!!! What?!

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

A next film?!!! What?!

A) It's a Marvel movie, so duh it's getting a sequel and Strange will be in the next Thor movie and the Avengers and blah blah

B) It made a lot of money....so duh it's getting a sequel

Interiors

Well what a lot of miserable bastards in this movie. Hilarious film even though it's meant to be a serious drama.

And was that the same beach as in Jaws? I'd recognise that half-sunken fence anywhere.

19 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

A next film?!!! What?!

Doctor Strange 2 has already been greenlit, and if you stuck around during the credits there is a scene that sets up Chiwetel Ejiofor's character as the villain for the next film.

It really is funny how ridiculously boring that movie ended up being, especially with the kind of cast it was boasting.