What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

45 minutes ago, Richard said:

TOP GUN is s truly awful film. It's an empty, narcissistic, exercise, which is always looking in the bathroom mirror, to check to see how cool it is...which it's not. In that respect, it's the perfect 80s movie.

Cruise must have been the first actor in film history to go from brother, straight to brother.

They gave the moviegoers the possibility to register for military in the lobby of the cinemas at the end of the film.

55 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Die Hard. 

Shamefully I'd never seen this before but it's a hell of a lot of fun. 

Bruce Willis with hair is unnerving. 

Alan Rickman is a massive [hair] loss to cinema. 

What's your problem with baldies?

Die Hard 3 is great!

Die Hard 2 is....ok. 

Absolutely ignore anything that came after the original trilogy. 

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Die Hard 3 is great!

Die Hard is....ok. 

Absurdly ignore anything that came after the original trilogy. 

Die Hard is only ok? 

Split

Saw this over a flight. Leans on the absurd side, and features some shoddy acting from the therapist, but this was actually pretty good. Shymalan is clearly a competent director, and McAvoy was quite entertaining. Well-made thriller.

I haven't seen that one. Glad to see Shymalan has found his groove again though.

8 hours ago, Quintus said:

What's your problem with baldies?

Its my future and it scares me.

im used to Willis being bald so seeing him with hair was weird. 

Best line in DHWAV:

"Holy Toledo, somebody had fun!".

Second-best line:

"I think he's dead, my dear".

Honourable mention:

"Why would anyone want to blow up a department store?"

"You ever see a woman miss a shoe sale?"

I put on a film last night, a Colin Farrell one on Netflix. 'Seven Psychopaths'. Didn't quite make it past the 30 minute mark I don't think. Blergh

53 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

I plan to comb my hair like Trump if that day comes.

You're counting the days just so you can!

Watched Logan (Noir) last night. I'm not sure whether the black and white version actually adds anything to the experience. It's a bit of a strange trend. The film itself is largely successful but I never saw the point of it. Sure, Wolverine does need a higher rating and that in itself is good. But I thought the whole thing is a bit vacuous. The direction is confident, the pacing refreshingly relaxed. I do like the small scale western vibe. But I didn't really learn much new about the character. The fact it is rated R and all adult doesn't really seem to change all that much. But I enjoyed the film more the second time overall. Jackman and Stewart give spectacular performances and it's worth watching for that alone. It's a pity Jackman decided to stop playing the part with this one as he finally starts to look like Wolverine now... uglier, older etc.

Karol

Mommy's Secret

Midday movie type of thriller with Charisma Carpenter robbing banks to cover her son's ongoing gambling debts.

Red Eye

One of the better airplane thrillers out there. Toward the end when Rachel McAdams is being chased by the Scarecrow in her house, it almost felt like the end of A Nightmare on Elm Street - and shock horror it was the same director!

Pan's Labyrinth

I'd heard so many great things about this movie that I just ended up coming out underwhelmed. It for sure wasn't bad, but it just wasn't that great either. There's an overabundance of wipes using trees and it eventually got on my nerves, because there didn't seem to be any variation to it.

Jurassic Park. 

Cinema in Dublin was screening it. Always take a chance to see a film scored by JW on the big screen when the chance presents itself. Classic film. 

imagejpeg

Beauty and the Beast (2017).

I really liked this one. The only slightly confusing plot point for me was the fact that the castle's objects still had living relatives at the end. The prologue made it sound as if the entire prince/enchantress thing had happened two centuries ago. Loved Emma Thompson wiv 'er beau'iful Cockney accent. McKellen was great too, though I don't really find the Gaston character arc very convincing. He turns from a lovable idiot to a villain in, like, two seconds. Lumière queeckly becèm boring az well, but I was really surprised that the ending was so tense. I've never seen the original version, but it can't be better than this one.

On to more important things. THE MUSIC. No words. I just love Alan Menken's limitlessly romantic scores. The songs were mostly a joy to discover, too, but my absolute favourite remains the one sang by the Beast as Belle leaves the castle. Absolutely terrific. I've read a lot of complaints from people who apparently thought Emma Watson was the only actress that was auto-tuned. She definitely isn't. I'm not a fan of auto-tuning as every song written these days sounds like computerised crying to me, but here, it worked 90% of the time (some horrible edits, though).

And the audio-describer had a hidden agenda. I've been told at least five times that Belle was manly, brave and fearless. What is it with political correctness these days? Are they trying to tell youngsters that women are no longer the angels in the home holding it all together to prevent them getting dangerous ideas that no one has anymore? I hope Disney's next film will show a woman casting a vote during an election, you know, just to make sure we all know women can vote. But at least the narrator didn't interfere with the end credits (though, come to think of it, these end credits songs are no match for any song or music from the movie, so listening to a list of unimportant names might have been a better alternative).

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

I put on a film last night, a Colin Farrell one on Netflix. 'Seven Psychopaths'. Didn't quite make it past the 30 minute mark I don't think. Blergh

Aw, I love this one. 

The Skin I Live In - Pedro Almodovar-directed thriller with Antonio Banderas as a plastic surgeon experimenting with creating synthetic skin in the aftermath of his wife's suicide following the terrible burns she suffered as a result of a car accident. 

That's only scratching the surface of how dark and twisted the story becomes.

Universal Soldier

Such a manly movie. Back when Roland Emmerich made cool action movies. Dolph Lungdren makes an effective baddie because you really believe the bloke's a psycho. My mum took me to see this in '92, and all I remembered was that ear necklace!

The Day After Tomorrow is where I knew something was wrong. It felt limp and aimless compared to his films from 1992-2000. There was real, tangible conflict in Universal Soldier, Stargate, and The Patriot, while ID4 and Godzilla were exciting disaster movies. Seems like Dean Devlin was responsible for a lot of the heart and momentum those films had, because after 2000, that spark that made me excited for Emmerich movies evaporated really quick.

On 7/28/2017 at 11:19 PM, Woj said:

Die Hard is only ok? 

Typo, I meant to say Die Hard 2, I fixed my post now.

Die Hard 1 is, of course, fantastic in every way.

6 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

Only people like us could appreciate Woody Allen and Roland Emmerich movies.

Heh heh, my list of favorite films of 1996 includes Independence Day and Everyone Says I Love You (a very underrated Woody).

6 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

Only people like us could appreciate Woody Allen and Roland Emmerich movies.

Maybe Disco Stu is your third internet persona?

35 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The 1996 Summer movie season is one of my favorites of all time.

There are a bunch of really good movies, but these 4 alone!  Lots of good popcorn entertainment!

Twister

Mission: Impossible

The Rock

Independence Day

I agree with Disco Stu!