What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Enough

Okay domestic thriller with some major twists. But it's another film where the baddie is so friggin' omnipotent, he and his thugs just know where the goodies are at all times, regardless of the lengths she goes to fall off the grid. How the hell does that work?

The Houses that October Built.

First 2/3's were very effective and creepy. I didn't mind the "shot from a home video camera" aspect of it, made it feel like more of a documentary, which they were going for. 

However, the last 30 mins or so.... terribly cheesy dialogue, and a rushed ending which in someways was difficult to watch b/c of it's brutality. Not anything close to Martyrs.. but along those lines, had Disney made Martyrs.

Image result for wet hot american summer

Wet Hot American Summer

Seen this one at least half a dozen times, wanted to watch it again before the new miniseries sequel.  I've loved this film since I saw it in theaters in 2001, its one of my favorite comedies of the 2000s.  Amazing how many actors in it went on to have big careers - Bradley Cooper, Amy Poehler, Paul Rudd, Elizabeth Banks, Christopher Meloni, on and on.

David Wain movies are funny!

Howls Moving Castle

Better than I remembered it. I watched it with my little brother who asked who Howl was 4 times. Great score

Secret Life of Arrietty

Ehh, but the animation was really good.

Anaconda - this was kinda like one of those shoddy 'creature features' that are always on SyFy had somehow managed to attract Jon Voight, J-Lo and Owen Wilson to star. Even 20 years ago, the CGI snake effects must've looked iffy.

Back to top Go down
View user profile Send private message Online

I remember watching Anaconda a lot when I was kid, because they used to re-run it a lot back then. But I rewachted it not too long ago and it's quite dull; something similar happened to me with Jumanji.

Of the 'Casper' variety of technically proficient but mechanical rollercoaster movies with a screenplay written around the big effects set pieces. Horner helps a lot to make it watchable.

Inferno

This is the first film I've seen among the Langdon Alger series, so it's nice to see how he enjoys puzzles. Confusing as all this chaos is happening, but I think I wss sort of getting it. I was surprised to see none of these movies received fresh ratings on RT. Are the others okay or should I skip 'em?

The DaVinci code is a great pulp adventure flick if it wasn't completely bogged down in its own self-importance. (The scandal regarding that book was enormous, and ridiculous).

Angels and Demons is really good though. Preposterous potboiler, but very wellmade. It makes me think Ron Howard could nail a Han Solo film.

Robert Langdon has no personality btw, i don't know how he was written in the books but all I see is Tom Hanks!

Angels & Demons is the best.

Inferno is the worst. If you enjoyed that one, you should be OK with the others.

The best thing about Inferno was Irrfan Khan's character. I could watch an entire movie centered around that character. Heck, I could watch an entire show centered around that character!

Everyone imagined Harrison Ford as Langdon as they read the book, and were completely dumbfounded by Hanks' casting for the film. It was blatantly obvious that Dan Brown styled the character on Ford.

16 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The DaVinci code is a great pulp adventure flick if it wasn't completely bogged down in its own self-importance. (The scandal regarding that book was enormous, and ridiculous).

Indeed. I remember I had a good chuckle while reading Umberto Eco's Foucault Pendulum many years ago and in that book there is a group of bored intellectuals who at one point come up with the same sort of conspiracy theory that the whole Da Vinci Code controversy was revolving about. As soon as that comes up in Eco's book, one of the characters discards it by saying "that's been done already". Which is additionally funny because the entire plot of the book is about them creating the most outrageously conspiracy theory in the history for fun and that one wasn't good enough. Now, that book came out in 1987 so that was whole 16 years before Dan Brown even started making waves.

Karol

8 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Indeed. I remember I had a good chuckle while reading Umberto Eco's Foucault Pendulum many years ago and in that book there is a group of bored intellectuals who at one point come up with the same sort of conspiracy theory that the whole Da Vinci Code controversy was revolving about. As soon as that comes up in Eco's book, one of the characters discards it by saying "that's been done already". Which is additionally funny because the entire plot of the book is about them creating the most outrageously conspiracy theory in the history for fun and that one wasn't good enough. Now, that book came out in 1987 so that was whole 16 years before Dan Brown even started making waves.

And yet I found DVC surprisingly boring (not that I can deny that I had a tough time with Eco's Pendulum - but it was always interesting, and had an unexpectedly thrilling finale). As the Langdons go, Angels & Demons was much better and seriously exciting, even though the writing is shit.

Just now, Marian Schedenig said:

And yet I found DVC surprisingly boring (not that I can deny that I had a tough time with Eco's Pendulum - but it was always interesting, and had an unexpectedly thrilling finale). As the Langdons go, Angels & Demons was much better and seriously exciting, even though the writing is shit.

I loved Eco's book. It's a tough read and full of obscure references to stuff I have no idea about (not to count quotes without translations). But hey, at least it seemed I like I can learn something from it. At the very least you can appreciate it on the basic human level and as a sharp satire. Despite all those things I mentioned, it never treated itself too seriously. DVC felt like a very thin plot with copy and paste segments from either travel guides or other much more interesting books (The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail, anyone?). It was impotent. At least Zimmer delivered a strong score for the film adaptation and that is just about the only good thing to come out of it. I've never read Angels & Demons. The film was ridiculous but at least much better than DVC.

Karol

5 minutes ago, Romão said:

Eco's book is terrific, but I feel I only got 20% out of what the has to offer

Yes, which is why I'd like to read more by him, but haven't yet mustered the courage to do so.

As for the Langdom films, I remember liking DVC slightly more than A&C, although both were just serviceable. McKellen was the outstanding element of the former. I was surprised how toothless A&C was compared to the book (the fact that I enjoyed reading it twice, despite the bad writing and seriously absurd science, goes to show how exciting it is).

8 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I never read In The Name Of The Roaw, its a highly intelligent work, right?

I would say, but even if someone misses a lot of the subtleties of the book that go way beyond the plot itself, the book still is, in terms of general plot, still extremely entertaining

14 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Yes, which is why I'd like to read more by him, but haven't yet mustered the courage to do so.

Probably his most accessible book would be Baudolino. It's filled with a lot of historical and mythical figures and references as well. But it almost plays like a like a fantasy novel set in 12th century Europe. Highly recommended.

Karol

The Da Vinci Code is overlong and drags horribly. Whoever cut that film needed to trim another 40 minutes. It's littered with mind-boggingly redundant snippets like an entire scene explaining a scene that just occurred. 

Angels & Demons was fast-paced and more involving, but forgettable as well.

No desire to see these films again or see Inferno. 

I think I've watched most of the first film, it was shit. I remember thinking how the hell did they screw this up - the book's a great Indiana Jones-ish adventure which you can very easily envision the movie adaptation while one is turning the page.

Angels and Demons I had no interest in, book or film.

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

I think I've watched most of the first film, it was shit. I remember thinking how the hell did they screw this up - the book's a great Indiana Jones-ish adventure which you can very easily envision the movie adaptation while one is turning the page.

Angels and Demons I had no interest in, book or film.

National Treasure is a better film!

3 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Did you see Obi-Wan parachuting down the Vatican?

This is literally the only scene I remember from that movie :lol: