What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

A Knight's Tale

Pretty decent, but they placed too much emotional significance on characters who I didn't really care about (specifically the dad). Plus, it would have been better w/out classical rock.

The first National Treasure movie was a surprisingly good romp, I enjoyed it a lot and remember wondering what all the fuss was about (didn't it get panned?) The sequel was a genuine letdown!

Scoop

So this is the film with the infamous scene of ScarJo in that wet, red swimsuit. Farrrk.

Anyhoo, this murder mystery comedy was really good! I haven't seen Woody's other murder mystery flicks so I lack any point of reference to how he's done it before. Scarlet is adorable in this, as daggy as she looked -- probably even more so than any Marvel movie!

Was this Woody's final film where he acted in his own movie where he played a significant role? Or have there been others since? Thinking back to Hannah and Her Sisters, his role in that felt like a glorified cameo.

49 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

Scoop

So this is the film with the infamous scene of ScarJo in that wet, red swimsuit. Farrrk.

Anyhoo, this murder mystery comedy was really good! I haven't seen Woody's other murder mystery flicks so I lack any point of reference to how he's done it before. Scarlet is adorable in this, as daggy as she looked -- probably even more so than any Marvel movie!

Hurray!  There is another who has a soft spot for this movie!  I don't think it's as good Manhattan Murder Mystery (a very underrated movie in Woody's filmography) but it's fun bit of fluff.  I saw it on a lazy summer afternoon back in 2006 and it was perfect for that.

I enjoyed the ridiculous suspense scenes around Hugh Jackman almost discovering what they're up to several times.  Jackman was really fun in the movie as well.

49 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

Was this Woody's final film where he acted in his own movie where he played a significant role? Or have there been others since? Thinking back to Hannah and Her Sisters, his role in that felt like a glorified cameo.

Correct.  Although, as Jay pointed out, he had a supporting role in To Rome With Love and he was also the main star in his 2016 TV show for Amazon.

I don't think Woody's role in Hannah and Her Sisters was a glorified cameo at all!  His search for meaning in the universe is a key aspect of that movie!

I have been meaning to see Scoop for 11 years now.   We actually started it one night, got halfway through the opening credits when a phone call made us pause it, and we never resumed!

The Conjuring 2 was amazing in the cinema. It was one of my favourite movies of 2016. But like every other modern supernatural horror film, it completely loses its power to shock and awe on the second viewing. They're like condoms, only good for one use.

Is that the one with the doll? Does it end with a flashing lights exorcism in the basement? Whatever one that is, I hated that part of the movie, because it'd been effective up until then.

2 hours ago, Quintus said:

Is that the one with the doll? Does it end with a flashing lights exorcism in the basement? Whatever one that is, I hated that part of the movie, because it'd been effective up until then.

The Annabelle doll is a prominent side menace in the first film, and she now has her own spin-off series. She only has a quick cameo in The Conjuring 2.

I enjoyed The Conjuring, but heard 'this is what happens when American writers don't do their research' bad things about the sequel ... like the family television being seen to get more than 3 channels, which in Seventies England was impossible because Channel 4 didn't start broadcasting until 1982.     

And in real life, the Warrens only spent a day with the family ... in 'The Enfield Haunting' (a recent British TV adaptation of the story), I don't even recall them featuring. 

Conjuring and Conjuring 2 are movies that gave me the creeps back then, and still do to this day. The opening of C2, with the appearance of the ghost boy, always gave me the chills. But then the nun... no words.

I see Unnerving gets 9.1 on IMDB. I don't know what's more unsettling - that it's a scary movie I somehow missed, or that it's potentially very drastically overrated. It's all a bit disquieting.

Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Or was it Dawn? The second film in the reboot series. Stupid titles. 

I enjoyed it but I didn't care about a single human character in the whole thing. A monkey on horseback with two guns was a pretty cool image. 

5 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Rise of the Planet of the Apes. Or was it Dawn? The second film in the reboot series. Stupid titles.

You should see the German titles:

Planet der Affen: Prevolution

Planet der Affen: Revolution

Planet der Affen: Survival

Yes, they translated the series title and then gave each installment a new English name. No, "prevolution" isn't a word.

13 hours ago, Marian Schedenig said:

You should see the German titles:

Planet der Affen: Prevolution

Planet der Affen: Revolution

Planet der Affen: Survival

Yes, they translated the series title and then gave each installment a new English name. No, "prevolution" isn't a word.

They should have called the third film Postvolution.

On 8/7/2017 at 9:24 PM, Hurmm said:

Must be pretty good. You watched it twice in a row and the rating has held up. 

Yeah, it was so good that I just had to go back and watch it again. 

Stupid copy & edited technique. 

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

It's well made but ultimately there's nothing for me to love. And believe me, I have searched high and low ...

Are you talking about MINORITY REPORT?

It must be me, but I think that Lois Smith is seriously sexy, in the greenhouse scene.

If you watch it again, you might appreciate it. All you have to do, is download it, darling (kisses computer screen).

Navy Blue and Gold (1937)

3.5/5

A corny but entertaining film about three young men of differing backgrounds who attend and play football for the US Naval Academy in Maryland.  It's mostly a drama about how the three men bond as both roommates and teammates.  It's also sort of of a sports movie, but not as successful at that aspect.  The three leads are wonderful!  Robert Young (later in life the star of Father Knows Best) is the cocky one who doesn't really respect the Navy and is only using it as a springboard to football stardom.  James Stewart (just before he became a real mega-star in '39/'40) is the enlisted man who gets into the academy and has a past he's hiding.  The Navy is his entire life.  Tom Brown is a super rich blue blood who's basically just fun, harmless and loves football.  Lionel Barrymore (who later starred as Mr. Potter in It's a Wonderful Life) also appears as a craggly old retired Navy Captain who, you guessed it, also loves football and the Navy.

It's one of those old Hollywood films where love of institution is a virtue so noble it makes men cry.  Which...yeah I'm a soft touch for that patriotic bullshit as many JWFanners know, so I enjoyed it!  I will say that it's patriotic but it's far from jingoistic. Jimmy Stewart is also my favorite movie star in history, so I'll watch him in anything.

I watched this on Warner Instant Archive, my new favorite streaming service.  It specializes in classic, more obscure Hollywood films of the 20s-60s.

Match Point

Oh my god, this was different! What opens as its premise as a quasi Age of Innocence type remake, slowly becomes darker and morphs into an opening Columbo gambit! Holy shit! I loved this movie!

4 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

Match Point

Oh my god, this was different! What opens as its premise as a quasi Age of Innocence type remake, slowly becomes darker and morphs into an opening Columbo gambit! Holy shit! I loved this movie!

I have such a pleasant memory of driving in a heavy snowstorm to see this in the theater with my best friend back in early 2006.  We almost wrecked a couple of times on the way back but it was totally worth it.  Special movie, special time in my life.

I didn't mention that last night I watched a film also from 2005 called Stay. I don't know what to say about this one other than it's a weird Mulholland Drive wannabe. Some tighter editing might have salvaged that one.

Hahaha, I remember that film.  At the time, it was the next film from the guy who had directed Monster's Ball and Finding Neverland.  He would go on to direct Stranger Than Fiction, The Kit Runner, Quantum of Solace, and World War Z

Ann-Dowd-Dreama-Walker-Compliance.jpg

Compliance

Great little thriller. Well-shot, well-written and boasts a great cast, especially the stunningly sensitive Ann Dowd. Having seen her shine in The Leftovers and The Handmaid's Tale, this little film serves further evidence of her talent. The film is at its best in the first act, but all of it is staged quite well. And as bonkers as it all was, the film does well to truly humanize it. You don't find it so absurd given the context. Humans do strange things in strange situations. Good stuff.

Great film, yea!  A film I've thought about a lot since seeing it.

BTW, after we watched it, I looked up the real story, because I had to believe they embellished some stuff to make a more entertaining movie.  Turns out it was the opposite - what happened in real life was even MORE fucked up!  Crazy stuff.

Oh hey, here's my review

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?/topic/20559-what-is-the-last-film-you-watched-older-films/&page=384#comment-1002632

I've tried to explain to people irl why I deeply despise Hacksaw Ridge but I find it hard.  It made me angry I hated it so much so I guess I shouldn't get into it here on the interwebs.

10 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Richard like old women, and Quintus' wife!

:o I do not  like Quintus' wife!

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

So, you're into GILFS?

No...I just happen to think that Iris Hinneman presents herself as sexy.

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

You can start by mentioning the scene where passages from the Bible are being read aloud while Vince Vaughn is shooting down Japs as he is being pulled on a sled. That generally does the trick.

Yes, it was the ham-handed religious element that drove me up the wall.  All the barfworthy Christ imagery with Garfield in the final scenes.

Also, the character is from my area of the country (central Virginia) and it was very distracting that the first half was so obviously filmed in Australia.   That's obviously more a "me thing," seeing what is obviously not the flora of my homeland.

And how y'all who can't stand Jennifer Lawrence were talking about her in the other thread?  That's how I feel about Garfield (and Redmayne, who I mix him up with all the time).  Insufferable actor.

Irrational Man

Well this bloke thought he was a real hero. That might be what the title means, some ironic allusion to a superhero. And what's his superpower? Philosophy! But even Abe admits most of his philosophical garble was all crap. But anyhoo, he makes this decision based on hard philosophy to murder a judge on the moral ground that his death would improve the lives of the people he's wronged. In theory, that makes sense, but as he states in a class earlier on, he acknowledges that reality is harder and uglier than just that. And of course he has to face the consequences of his actions as his big eyed, idealistic girlfriend is going to squeal on him.

Film has echoes of Annie Hall, Interiors and Manhattan, but all wrapped up in a new and different package. Nice anamorphic photophaphy too.

Another thing that made me laugh. Completely unintentional, but Mr Plinkett noted that Ghostbusters 2016 was loaded with Sony's hallmark product placement, particularly Coca-Cola, well one important scene in Irrational Man has Abe reading a newspaper to confirm the death of the judge he murdered, and there's a big fat, bold Coca-Cola logo behind him. In a Woody Allen flick, haha.

Batman Begins

This is my favourite Batman film. I enjoy pretty much everything about it.

The Dark Knight

Enjoyed this much more than the last time I watched it. Previously I thought it was too long but I didn't have that issue this time. Ledger is excellent but I think Mark Hamill's version of the Joker is the best although that version wouldn't have worked here. Even the score is growing on me.

Batman (1989)

This has aged horribly. Prince doesn't help matter. Score is excellent though. 

14 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Batman Begins

This is my favourite Batman film. I enjoy pretty much everything about it.

The Dark Knight

Enjoyed this much more than the last time I watched it. Previously I thought it was too long but I didn't have that issue this time. Ledger is excellent but I think Mark Hamill's version of the Joker is the best although that version wouldn't have worked here. Even the score is growing on me.

Batman (1989)

This has aged horribly. Prince doesn't help matter. Score is excellent though. 

I've only seen the first two films in the Nolan trilogy and Begins has always been the more satisfying of the two for me. The Dark Knight was good at the cinema, but also a bit overblown for my taste, enough to put me off the third installment anyway.

16 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I've only seen the first two films in the Nolan trilogy and Begins has always been the more satisfying of the two for me. The Dark Knight was good at the cinema, but also a bit overblown for my taste, enough to put me off the third installment anyway.

Yeah, I've debated whether to watch the third one or not. It definitely started to go on a different direction than I'd have liked.

Gotham looks like Gotham on BB but not the Dark Knight. Anyone know why?