What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

When the Bough Breaks

This is Fatal Attraction, but with black people instead. Despite its critical panning, I found it watchable even if it wasn't all that thrilling. The girl who played the nutty stalker who was also the couple's surrogate mother was really cute.

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I don't think you want to be perceived in any certain way, but you continually posture about your relationships not working out, etc. Maybe that's your twin. I honestly can't tell the difference anymore. You're a hollow shell of your former self!

I am indeed.

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial

Was playing in Amsterdam the day before I went to the US. I'd never seen the original in the cinema.

What a wonderful! Funny, clever, deeply moving. With incredibly effective performances from the 3 human leads AND their puppet star. A fantastic creation by Carlo Rambaldi. And yes, through the magic of movies E.T. actually gives a real acting performance. The camera focuses on him several times as he is watching the behaviour of others. And the spell is never once broken.

It's also a beautiful film to look at. Quite modest and small scaled compared to Spielberg's earlier efforts. It doesnt have the large canvas of it's older sister Close Encounters. But unlike that film there's less need by Spielberg to turn the knob up to 11 all the time.

A timeless and beautiful classic, with a wonderful score.

**** out of ****

Close Encounters Of The Third Kind

Saw this in Hollywood, on a huge screen in the Cinerama. 

God what a magnificent film! Spielberg could do what he wanted after Jaws and it shows. This is barnstorming skill of a still young and eager director doing a project he always dreamed of doing. You need to see this on the big screen just to appreciatie how epic parts of this film are. The crowd scenes are handles with a vigour and deftness one expects from David Lean. The special effects arent just first rate, and awe inspiring, they are actually beautiful. And the cast is just right.

I've seen Close Encounters about 5 or 6 times before and it wasnt until my last viewing on DVD a few years earlier that it really clicked. And even then it didnt grip me as much as Jaws, Raiders or E.T. did.

This time it did. It's a classic transcendental sci-fi film (though Spielberg never set out to make a sci-fi). It's more dated in it's ideas and general look than E.T. (which looks strangely timeless). But it's a remarkable and energetic work.

It is loud though. It was played at the cinema at reference level and it was simply earsplitting. It's never been the most gentle sound mix, with Spielberg's technique of loads of dialogue, sound effects etc overlapping. I woulnt have mind it if they turned it down a notch. (I'm told in Hollywood or L.A. in general, they do tend to play films very loud)

Nevertheless, brilliant film. And once again with a great score.

**** out of ****

Patchwork

One of the Weasley twins is in this, so you know it must be good. It's about an extremely hot woman with short hair and a great body who is smacked upside the head with a baseball bat and combined with other women into one body by a mad surgeon. The three women as one go on a quest for revenge and murder people.

Universal Soldier: The Return

It's all poorly done, yet still is strangely watchable (I love it). Completely dopey movie that reminds me of Under Siege 2, another goofy sequel with the same initials. The most interesting bit is when we learn JCVD married the Ally Walker character from the first movie and had a daughter with her, but between movie's she's died, probably from all the cigarette smoking. But when he's looking at a wedding photo, they obviously got a different blonde to stand in for her, which significantly reduced its impact. They probably should've just left that bit out.

And Davis not White. 

Still can't think of E.T. or CE3K as old yet.

But I guess-they-are.

1 hour ago, Evil-Lyn said:

She's in it for a couple seconds in the background. Why even bother having here there?

She was an unknown at the time, and they were shooting those stupid "love scenes" in the outback, so they needed random actors who wanted work. Joel Edgerton is also in the film in a small part.

Thirteen

Holly Hunter is solid, as always. Is she the most underrated actress in Hollywood? Probably. She even gets naked again for no good reason. Anyway, the movie loses me with the scenes of the daughter and her friend. Underage girls getting wasted and high, and screwing older guys together. Not to mention the absolutely disgusting scene of wrist-cutting. I hate that.

The only component of The Neon Demon I liked was its synergy between its stylish high contrast images (unbelievably accomplished anamorphic cinematography) and the Carpenter-like score. I'd like to even buy the soundtrack!

But whatever story they were trying to convey here was weak and I've seen it done better and more engaging elsewhere, like Mulholland Drive for instance.

I also thought Elle Fanning's boyfriend was the most normal character. He seemed to be the only one aware of how ridiculous this industry was that she was becoming absorbed in, and how shallow the culture of the city can be.

I read that the film was simultaneously booed and cheered at Cannes. I wonder if the sharply divided reaction was influenced by the film's condemnation of an industry that many of them are involved in by illustrating its Lolita-obsessed culture through Satanic symbolism, witch covens, pedophelia, necrophelia and cannibalism? Sounds like it touched a little nerve.

1 hour ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

I read that the film was simultaneously booed and cheered at Cannes. I wonder if the sharply divided reaction was influenced by the film's condemnation of an industry that many of them are involved in by illustrating its Lolita-obsessed culture through Satanic symbolism, witch covens, pedophelia, necrophelia and cannibalism? 

Isn't this just a new kinda version of Tony Scott's The Hunger? A stylish vampire thingie?

Yes, some of the shots (or even a lot of them) are obsessively photographic ....

Drive was still kinda okay. But ever since Only God Forgives, Refn is so obsessed with photography that he's forgetting to make a captivating movie. Things were more balanced when he made Bronson.

Sherlock Holmes

Definitely not your dad's Sherlock (no shit!) - now he's a wise cracking tough guy with muscles and fights like Rambo. Although he seems more Aspie in this. Is that meant to make him more 'cool'? Need to see the sequel now.