What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

It was advertised as a Wes Anderson film more or less, but it has its own charm and heart. I'm obsessed with the prologue of this one because it's executed so perfectly; think I even started a thread because of it. Not to mention Nathan Johnson's score!

1 minute ago, Koray Savas said:

It was advertised as a Wes Anderson film more or less

It definitely was.  Coming out so soon after The Darjeeling Limited and starring Adrien Brody in a suit didn't help.

Every great or interesting artist has at least one masterpiece locked inside them. Lynch's sensibilities as a filmmaking are such that it almost prevents him from achieving that mark, but he can get it done every now and then and make a good film, like Lost Highway, Elephant Man, or Straight Story.  With Mullholland Drive, he took enormous risks in the structure, acting, and storytelling, but for which all cylinders fired correctly, and it became his masterpiece.

Nobody's Fool

Quite an underrated film, one of my favorites of the era since I was a teen.  I also read and loved the novel many years ago.

Paul Newman gives one of his best performances in this lowkey character drama.  He plays Sully, a 60-something man in upstate New York who boards in the upstairs apartment of his 8th grade English teacher (Jessica Tandy in her final role).  He's a washed up loser who has no job and a bum knee, scavenging under-the-table jobs from a local construction magnate (Bruce Willis).  He does take pleasure in flirting with Willis' wife (Melanie Griffith) and drowning his sorrows at the local watering hole (bar tended by character actress Margo Martindale).  His estranged son shows back up in town and much of the film is Sully coming to terms with his past and forging a relationship with his son and grandson.

It all sounds boring on paper, but it's the kind of story whose pleasures are in the details.  It's well-cast with funny and endearing characters and the setting of a depressed small town where jobs have dried up is great.  Howard Shore's proto-Shire score is a major highlight.  Philip Seymour Hoffman impresses in a very early role for him as an overzealous local police officer!

Eraserhead has probably the most oppressive industrial setting I've seen in a film. It's a genuinely difficult and unpleasant film to sit through, but I really admire it all the same. 

I need to rewatch Mullholland Drive someday. 

It's one of his most popular movies. Not liking it stands for not getting the movie so people give it high points. The higher the score, the better they seem to understand it.

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It's one of his most popular movies. Not liking it stands for not getting the movie so people give it high points. The higher the score, the better they seem to understand it.

So...it's the emperor's new clothes?

I wonder what the TV show would have been like?

Star Trek 3.

Everything is so superficial: emotions, characters, humour... David's death didn't move me in the slightest and as I still don't know what Klingons really are, Christopher Lloyd's character was quite uninteresting as well (though the fact that Lloyd played him significantly contributed to my enjoyment of this film). Yet again, the only reason I'll watch the next film is because I'm curious to know what will happen to Spock. It's all entertaining enough once you accept how shallow it is.

And I still can't believe James Horner wrote this score. Just like before, some interesting tidbits, but overall a dull score. And there were lots of scenes that badly needed music as well, like the final fight with Lloyd.

Akira

A lot of people have recommended me this film over the years and for some reason I resisted, but e had the chance of seeing a special screening with a group of friends last night and it was utterly spectacular. Weird? Yes. Disturbing? Yes. Awesome? Yes!

What can I say?

TETSUOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Submission (2004), the film that probably got Theo Van Gogh killed. Astounding.

I wonder if anyone will ever have the courage to make something like this again, and if it would even be allowed to be shown today?

Octopussy.

I found the first half surprisingly enjoyable. Even after so many entries, the Bond formula still worked for me. But then things became rather confusing and I never understood how exactly Kahn and the circus were connected, who did what for whom and why, how the jewels were connected to the weapon etc. Would also have liked a little more Magda and Roger Moore really had a very bad moment when he was getting angry at Orlov on the train.

It's also interesting to hear how the Bond scores are changing from dull trombone wailing to beautiful, romantic music. I really liked the emphasis on the violin in this one. The song was weak, though.

Wonder Woman

James Cameron was right. Back to Titanic.

Just kidding! I thought it was okay. I didn't think it was the second coming in funny book movie form like everyone else. I was convinced for the first 40 minutes I was not the target audience and that its popularity and status as an apparently beloved movie (which just came out) was because those scenes looked like something out of the modern trendy Game of Thrones gladiator entertainment that's just all the rage these days. Some quick thoughts before I fall asleep. Some of this is nitpicky, but deal with it. Look where you're posting.

This is yet another funny book movie or, let's just say blockbuster style film, that ends with a villain shooting energy and a scene composed almost entirely of computer animation. You know, you can end these with people in an aquarium getting shot and spitting up black glop or something. They don't all have to become a CGI catastrophe with a lame looking character flinging endless debris and lightning. Fuck. Second thing. I liked the romantic subplot, which wasn't overdone or cheesy. But that Chris Pine. He's playing the exact same character he played in the J.J. Abrams series of "Star Trek" movies, which certainly wasn't Jim Kirk. Is this the extent of this guy's acting range? He is so miscast in these films. He should be a sportscaster, not an actor. They needed a somewhat dorkier average guy for Wonder to hook up with, not a buff pretty boy.

Too. Much. Slow. Motion. Just. Because. You. Can. Slow. Down. Every. Fight. Scene. Doesn't. Mean. You. Should.

Andfollowingupwithspedupshotsdoesn'tmakeupfortheslowmotionandisalsosannoying.

I've spoken.

3 hours ago, Evil-Lyn said:

Wonder Woman

James Cameron was right. Back to Titanic.

Just kidding! I thought it was okay. I didn't think it was the second coming in funny book movie form like everyone else. I was convinced for the first 40 minutes I was not the target audience and that its popularity and status as an apparently beloved movie (which just came out) was because those scenes looked like something out of the modern trendy Game of Thrones gladiator entertainment that's just all the rage these days. Some quick thoughts before I fall asleep. Some of this is nitpicky, but deal with it. Look where you're posting.

This is yet another funny book movie or, let's just say blockbuster style film, that ends with a villain shooting energy and a scene composed almost entirely of computer animation. You know, you can end these with people in an aquarium getting shot and spitting up black glop or something. They don't all have to become a CGI catastrophe with a lame looking character flinging endless debris and lightning. Fuck. Second thing. I liked the romantic subplot, which wasn't overdone or cheesy. But that Chris Pine. He's playing the exact same character he played in the J.J. Abrams series of "Star Trek" movies, which certainly wasn't Jim Kirk. Is this the extent of this guy's acting range? He is so miscast in these films. He should be a sportscaster, not an actor. They needed a somewhat dorkier average guy for Wonder to hook up with, not a buff pretty boy.

Too. Much. Slow. Motion. Just. Because. You. Can. Slow. Down. Every. Fight. Scene. Doesn't. Mean. You. Should.

Andfollowingupwithspedupshotsdoesn'tmakeupfortheslowmotionandisalsosannoying.

I've spoken.

So it sucks?

12 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The two leads really make that film!

Yep, Cluzet and mar Sy were terrific. Not surprised notable directors and Hollywood, took notice of the later. Very touching film as well. I liked it quite a bit.

The Iron Lady

the-iron-lady-movie-poster-01.jpg

Meryl Streep's acting is so great that it becomes distracting. And as we all know, Jim Broadbent is one of the best actors in the world. So yes, Streep and Broadbent, it's all about the acting. Sadly enough, the movie itself isn't up to par with the performances. 6/10

170307-jimbroadbent-hp-lg.jpg

"Best actor? Gee, thanks, Alex"

Beauty and the Beast 2017

Watched this with my family today and yikes, it was even worse than I expected and my expectations were rock bottom.

The Beast was such an awful CGI monstrosity, one of the worst CG characters of the decade.  Like, really really really badly done.  This movie made me retroactively dislike Emma Watson in everything she's been in.  I also despised the celebrity stunt casting of all the servants.

I forgot to mention. While Wonder Woman featured many tropes of modern blockbuster films, it thankfully did not have one of the worst aka scenes in a darkened mission control setting with government people looking at screens. Ugh! Of course, this is because it takes place before that stuff was invented...

20 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Beauty and the Beast 2017

Watched this with my family today and yikes, it was even worse than I expected and my expectations were rock bottom.

The Beast was such an awful CGI monstrosity, one of the worst CG characters of the decade.  Like, really really really badly done.  This movie made me retroactively dislike Emma Watson in everything she's been in.  I also despised the celebrity stunt casting of all the servants.

My wife watched that on our plane right home from Vegas.  She grew up loving the cartoon and thought the new movie was stupid

On 24/09/2017 at 4:49 PM, Alexcremers said:

The Iron Lady

the-iron-lady-movie-poster-01.jpg

Meryl Streep's acting is so great that it becomes distracting. And as we all know, Jim Broadbent is one of the best actors in the world. So yes, Streep and Broadbent, it's all about the acting. Sadly enough, the movie itself isn't up to par with the performances. 6/10

170307-jimbroadbent-hp-lg.jpg

"Best actor? Gee, thanks, Alex"

Because of my pathological hatred of her politics, and what she did to my home nation, I am unable to watch this film. I tried to watch it, but I lasted only 10 minutes. I guess that for some people, the memory is - still - too raw.

I saw a preview of it on HBO. Looked like a meta Hollywood love letter, which I have no interest in seeing. It's rare that I enjoy anything set in LA. Ed Wood is a mega rare exception where it's even about filmmaking. Or ID4, of course, where it's destroyed by aliens.