What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

I started to get sick of LA and NY being the setting for most films and TV shows I was seeing. NYC is at least cooler and lends itself to a lot of entertainment, but I just think LA is the worst setting for things. I thought so even before I lived there. It just bugs me. A lot of films seem to be set there just because they can film down the street.

So Chinatown, The Big Lebowski, Sunset Boulevard, L.A. Confidential, Blade Runner, Mulholland Drive are set in the worst possible town? Maybe they would have been much better if they were set in Texas? That doesn't make any sense. No movie fan would say that. Film Noir is synomyous with L.A. Oh, it's E.T.& Elliot. Nevermind! 

9 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Oh, it's E.T.& Elliot. Nevermind! 

That name no longer has any meaning!

6 hours ago, The Doctor said:

The Legend of Tarzan (2016)

I...think I liked it. The world may be ending. If you have loved ones, now is the time to say goodbye to them.

GREYSTOKE is better. It has Glenn Close :)

13 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

So Chinatown, The Big Lebowski, Sunset Boulevard, L.A. Confidential, Blade Runner, Mulholland Drive are set in the worst possible town? Maybe they would have been much better if they were set in Texas? That doesn't make any sense. No movie fan would say that. Film Noir is synomyous with L.A. Oh, it's E.T.& Elliot. Nevermind! 

Wherever 'U-Turn' i set is the worst possible town. And the Orca sinking with the shark in the water, naturally.

18 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Have you ever been in LA?

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Have you ever been in LA?

The version of LA where most of the greatest Hollywood film noirs are set is one of the great cinematic settings.  Double Indemnity!  Kiss Me Deadly!  So many others!

The real LA is irrelevant.

It's scary, but I'm with Cremers on this.

13 hours ago, Hawmy said:

Also the fathom events version of Nausicaa lol. I freaking love this movie. I watched it like 3 weeks ago, but I couldn't pass up the chance to see it in the theater again.

I wish I could see those movies at the cinema.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

The version of LA where most of the greatest Hollywood film noirs are set is one of the great cinematic settings.  Double Indemnity!  Kiss Me Deadly!  So many others!

The real LA is irrelevant.

It's scary, but I'm with Cremers on this.

The movie version of LA is fake. Its Hollywood perpetuating the myth of themselves.

Makes sense.  You put thousands of storytellers in one city and give them millions of dollars, there's gonna be self-mythologizing.  I love the fantasy version of LA.

Just like I love the fantasy version of central Europe in Grand Budapest or the fantasy version of NYC in Woody Allen's films of the late-70s to late-80s.

Murder, She Said

The first Miss Marple film, starring Margaret Rutherford, who's wonderful in the part.  It's really quite a well-done film.  Perfect for watching while lazing on the sofa getting over a cold.

19 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

You're not my friend anymore.

Okay, I liked the first half and then I fell asleep because the second half was a lot of weird CGI animal scenes. At that point, it felt like a "live action" remake of the Disney movie.

There. No we can be friends again.

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

The Nice Guys with Russell Crowe and Ryan Gosling is a great snarky portrayal of LA I saw recently. Actually, I loved that movie. It's ace! 

Really? I only saw the first half and then gave up. Seemed awfully labored wannabe cool. 

1 hour ago, publicist said:

Really? I only saw the first half and then gave up. Seemed awfully labored wannabe cool. 

I didn't get that vibe from it personally. I thought the two leads had good chemistry and I would like to see a follow up. Then again, I watched this with somebody else who also found it amusing, which goes a long way with comedy movies. 

A lot of it was filmed in Malta.

That terrible digital matte painting of the Eiffel Tower...

That dreadful pastiche of London...

Michel Londsdale is superb, though. It's almost as if his role in RONIN turned upside down.

Was the final pan heavy-handed? Answers on.

The BFG

I really can't stress enough how much I didn't like this movie. If we want to get nitpicky, which is the JWFan way, the CGI for the giant was some of the worst shit I have ever seen. This movie was made in 2016 by Steven Spielberg and it looks like a stupid Nintendo character.  With that out of the way, if I hadn't fallen asleep during this boring, boring film, it would have been the first time in history that I turned off a Steven Spielberg film. So that didn't happen, but it will go down as the only Steven Spielberg movie that I've never made it through. Congratulations, I guess. For me, more than anything, Spielberg making boring crappy movies for children makes me feel like the world has gone to shit.

29 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

The BFG

I really can't stress enough how much I didn't like this movie. If we want to get nitpicky, which is the JWFan way, the CGI for the giant was some of the worst shit I have ever seen. This movie was made in 2016 by Steven Spielberg and it looks like a stupid Nintendo character.  With that out of the way, if I hadn't fallen asleep during this boring, boring film, it would have been the first time in history that I turned off a Steven Spielberg film. So that didn't happen, but it will go down as the only Steven Spielberg movie that I've never made it through. Congratulations, I guess. For me, more than anything, Spielberg making boring crappy movies for children makes me feel like the world has gone to shit.

While I'm not quite so harsh, I agree it is a strangely very boring movie, possibly the director's most boring ever. 

Bright Star (2009)

I don’t know how I let this pass me by, but I have seen it now and I’m all the richer for it.  This is a beautiful, extraordinary, sensitive movie.  Ben Whishaw is just so so good. Abbie Cornish too.

Just wow.  Wowie wow wow.

Also in terms of music, the vocal rendition of the Adagio from Mozart’s Gran Partita in the film was gorgeous.

Your Name

Eh. It was pretty good, but there's something about most anime that I can't stomach. I think it's just that I really like the aesthetic of old anime. From a technical standpoint it was pretty good though.