What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Nanny Cam

I love these midday movie thrillers with creepy weirdo psycho stalkers. And this one is a sexy India Eisley who fixates on a family, brainwashes the daughter, roots the dad, and makes the mother's life a living hell. I hope they make a sequel like they did with Stalked By My Doctor. Wasn't the line "I'm not your mommy, bitch" also in Orphan?

Cold Creek Manor

Ehh, a bit average. One of those rare cases where the director was also the composer. Bit of a retread of Cape Fear with the stalker, psycho maniac with an axe to grind against dad and his nice folks. And even has Juliette Lewis, probably playing the same character as in Cape Fear, only she moved away and hooked up with a madman who reminded her of Jerk Di Niro.

A view to a kill.

I was going to write that it was rather enjoyable, but then the ending came. First of all, I don't know whether I have to find Zorin an amusing villain or a tragedy for this franchise. Tanya Roberts quickly became boring too: whenever she spoke, it sounded artificial and her incessant screaming only made things worse. Then there was Grace Jones, whose character really did something totally absurd at the end and who had an extremely unattractive voice too. In the end, the only girl I liked was Jenny Flex, mostly because she wasn't as annoying as all the others. Roger Moore was as good as ever and Q's dry humour never ceases to make me laugh, but the final act was so incredibly stupid that even the audio-describer became sarcastic and clearly thought the whole thing was a waste of time.

The score was much more interesting than the film. There was something lively and enthusiastic about it that I really liked, although it needs to be said that the music for Holly Goodhead, Octopussy and now Stacy really sounds extremely similar. But then again, the stories are derivative too and at the end of the day, Barry obviously had a lot of fun scoring a load of rubbish, so no big deal. The title song will probably grow on me too.

View has its moments (Walken's lunacy, Patrick Macnee, Grace Jones, Fiona Fullerton, the title song and the dizzying finale atop the Golden Gate Bridge) but dragging it all down is the fact that at 57, Roger Moore is just too damn old to be playing 007. I mean, when you're being stunt-doubled for fairly low-key punch-ups you probably should've decided that your days as a dynamic action hero were over before that. 

I have probably the biggest soft spot for AVTAK because of its villain-of-the-week feel (well didn't they all have that? I suppose it's more prominent here), the cheeky and memorable dialogue and even at 57, Roger still had the charisma to pull off the role of an aging double-oh. I liked Tanya as well, those eyes were really mesmerising.

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

View has its moments (Walken's lunacy, Patrick Macnee, Grace Jones, Fiona Fullerton, the title song and the dizzying finale atop the Golden Gate Bridge) but dragging it all down is the fact that at 57, Roger Moore is just too damn old to be playing 007. I mean, when you're being stunt-doubled for fairly low-key punch-ups you probably should've decided that your days as a dynamic action hero were over before that. 

I found the film slow and anemic last time i watched it. I tries to be modern with a plot about microchips and silicon valley. But it's filled with old people.

The Darkness

It's as if Hollywood recruited the director of the masterful Wolf Creek movies and handed him a cookie cutter supernatural thriller script and said "here, film this and shit it out into cinemas". This was so lame, even the anamorphic photography couldn't save it. Kevin Bacon lends some starpower, but shit, is he really pushing 60? He'll be playing grandpa soon.

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)

Structurally, the film is very similar to the original Raiders. The beginning of the film features Indy teaching at his school and abruptly being tasked with discovering a biblical artifact that bestows supernatural powers to its user, Nazis are again the baddies, there is a fast-paced desert chase towards the movie's end, and the ending features the main villain being melted (well, turned to dust) by the wrath of the artifact. The parallels were likely deliberate, after the critical backlash of Temple of Doom.

My favorite highlight of the film was the relationship between Indy and his eccentric father, Professor Henry Jones. The chemistry between the two characters is so fun to watch, you can tell the actors had a blast while filming their scenes.

Williams' score was, as usual, excellent. Not quite on the same level as his music for the two previous Indy films, but it fit the film like a glove. I especially liked the music he composed for the boat chase scenes in Venice, as well as the theme he wrote for the Grail.

Overall, I'd say it's my second favorite Indy film. While it lacks the originality and novelty of Raiders, as well as the imagination and breakneck pacing of Temple of Doom, it makes up for both of those aspects with the dynamic duo of Ford and Connery.

**** and 1/2 out of *****

I too just finished Blade Runner. I have to say that I've considerably warmed up to the film compared to the first time I watched it. It made a lot more sense this time now that I know the plot. I like it now :)

Drive. I was really surprised that the first half was so interesting, as these movies are usually not something I enjoy. I gave this one the benefit of the doubt because Carey Mulligan was in it, who I've mostly seen playing enigmatic women of few words and she didn't disappoint. The second half did. Maffia shoot-outs are boring. The music and score couldn't have been less captivating either.

@BloodBoal

Blade Runner - Ridley Scott (1982)

So I did watch this. The theatrical cut, because that was all you could rent on iTunes (I had a gift card to use up), and I didn't feel like spending $6 more to buy the final cut. 

The production design and score were absolutely brilliant, for starters. The city atmosphere is terrific, and the score meshes perfectly with every scene. It's mixed very well, too. Harrison Ford was outstanding as well. 

I will say, though, that I didn't find the plot all that engaging, nor did I find the philosophical ideas particularly thought-provoking (although that's probably in large part because I've watched more modern films like A.I.Minority Report, and The Matrix that collectively cover most of the same ground).

Here's hoping that 2049 can retain the visual/musical splendor but have a more interesting story with more interesting things to ponder. 

Zoolander No. 2

An unnecessary sequel 15 years later that literally recycles all the same jokes from the first film. It's hard to image Stiller and the same team made this one. It really is mind boggling how bad it is, like they were all forced to do it at gunpoint. A shame, since the first one is a classic comedy, in my opinion. Should have been left alone. 

3 hours ago, Will said:

The production design and score were absolutely brilliant, for starters. The city atmosphere is terrific, and the score meshes perfectly with every scene. It's mixed very well, too. Harrison Ford was outstanding as well. 

I will say, though, that I didn't find the plot all that engaging, nor did I find the philosophical ideas particularly thought-provoking (although that's probably in large part because I've watched more modern films like A.I.Minority Report, and The Matrix that collectively cover most of the same ground).

Just watched the Final Cut last night, these are pretty much my thoughts as well. Thing is, it was so groundbreaking back then that we already know everything new it had to offer from all the copies it spawned. Same thing as when I read Watchmen for the first time, I couldn't understand what all the fuss was about, then I learned it was the first of its kind. Now on the second reading, I like it much more. I'd probably like BR more after more viewings, too, when instead of trying to get the plot, I could go detailhunting.

I've got to say I was more pumped for it at the beginning when less than 10 minutes in they were already cursing in Hungarian!

21 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I found the film slow and anemic last time i watched it. I tries to be modern with a plot about microchips and silicon valley. But it's filled with old people.

Yes, I read a review once that said it's a major problem that most of the MI6-ers look like they should be drawing their Service pensions whilst the antagonists are young and energetic.  

Dune: The Alternative Edition Redux by Spicedriver

Pretty good yeah. It's a good attempt at fixing the editing issues present in the theatrical release. There are still some problems, and the technical skill of the editing is fairly sub par (not much you can do with mediocre sources though). Better than the original for sure though.

Yeah. The extra bits were the highlight. It still feels rushed after the Harkonnens take over though. I wish they would have included Feyd more. Like his gladiator battle and stuff. I guess there's only so much you can put in a film adaption though :/. It does make me more excited for Villeneuve's version though

I have a confession to make. Because I have already seen two Dunes, the prospect of yet another version doesn't excite me at all. Remakes, sequels ... Bleh! Give me something I have never seen and experienced before! Am I the only one who feels that way?

16 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Leave it to Alex to think he's the only one lamenting about reboots and sequels...

You didn't really get it, Koray. Of course, a lot of people are tired of sequels and remakes, but I have a feeling that Dune is an exception for you guys. That's the point of my post. However, to me it's just another remake, Villeneuve or not.

Big worms in the sand ... Meh.

Alex 

I haven't seen either TV adaptation of the DUNE books, so I can't comment on them. I'm not bothered about Villeneuve's (or is that "Scott's" ;)) DUNE. What we need, is for someone to take a good look at all the footage of DUNE, piece it together in the editing style of Tony Gibbs (God rest his soul) and to get it rereleased, and reassessed as the lost and misunderstood masterpiece it always was :)