What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Ah you meant Jason Bourne.  I don't know if soulless is the word I'd use, a little too aggressive in its harshness.  That movie inspires no strong feelings of any kind for me.  It felt rote and impersonal.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

The first one is easily the best, IMO. The ones by Greengrass may dazzle you more but they suffer severely from the law of diminishing returns upon rewatching them. 

I agree with Alexcremers!

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Btw, we've had this conversation on JWfan atleast 5 times.

1 minute ago, Quintus said:

Course we have. JWFan always reminds me of browsing Netflix. 

OK ok, we need new topics!  What's your favorite Harry Potter movie?

Unbelievable I write a well thought out response to a Hollywood Golden Age Best Picture winner, and nobody cares. But one consecutive post later, I pinch out a line or two about a Bourne movie, and it sparks a whole discussion. I'm starting to figure out what makes message boards tick...

3 hours ago, Richard said:

I agree...with Lee. The first one is definitely the best one. It had an enigmatic beginning, a thrilling middle, and a satisfying end. Like so many films, it did not need a sequel, let alone three of them.

There were three books...

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm comfortable being alone in my preference for Supremacy/Ultimatum.  Such is life.

First one to say "I disagree with Disco Stu!" makes the signature ;) 

You’re not alone! Ultimatum is one of the best action films of the 00s. 

2 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Unbelievable I write a well thought out response to a Hollywood Golden Age Best Picture winner, and nobody cares. But one consecutive post later, I pinch out a line or two about a Bourne movie, and it sparks a whole discussion. I'm starting to figure out what makes message boards tick...

Like a poster said, at least once a year, we need to confirm which one is the best Bourne. 

You thought SIlvestri's score sounded like a Horner score?  Never heard that before about it.

I like the film and the score!

Oh I like it too. But some segments, to me, sound remarkably like Jimmy. The first three minutes of the suite I posted especially. At the time, I've been thinking maybe Silvestri was paying his respects. After all, it wasn't that long after...

But then,it is probably just me...

Karol

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

No one cares about old Bette Davis movies, Jerry.

I watched a heap of Joan Crawford flicks recently and got no JWfan audience reaction. Same with that Jennifer Jones film I saw recently. Sounds like JWfan cares about modern action flicks more than old b&w Hollywood dramas.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

You thought SIlvestri's score sounded like a Horner score?  Never heard that before about it.

Really? He can't have been the only one to point it out. There are classic Horner progressions everywhere.

It's a fun score. The kind we don't really get anymore, even for films like this.

12 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

I watched a heap of Joan Crawford flicks recently and got no JWfan audience reaction. Same with that Jennifer Jones film I saw recently. Sounds like JWfan cares about modern action flicks more than old b&w Hollywood dramas.

I'm interested in them, but you've mostly been watching ones lately that I haven't seen.

I love Greengrass's Bourne films (well aside from the recent Jason Bourne of course). Sure they may be a bit too stylish, and they practically helped to cause the rise of shaky-cam, but they're still solid engaging, and very well-done too. I've seen Ultimatum five times now, and it never gets old.

The Gods Must Be Crazy - 7.5 / 10

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm interested in them, but you've mostly been watching ones lately that I haven't seen.

I need to consult Drax Marketing Inc to scope out what JWfan audiences respond to. We need more eyeballs on posts!

7 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

The Gods Must Be Crazy - 7.5 / 10

I remember seeing this on tele as a youngin'.

1 hour ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

I remember seeing this on tele as a youngin'.

It's wacky, and very cartoony, "A coke bottle from the gods" etc... I saw it with my mom, and while she laughed, she thought it was super-bizarre. It's the most successful film to come out of South Africa, funny enough. I still need to see the sequel. 

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Surely this is District 9 now?

Entirely from the country to be exact, at least that's what I read. District 9 had some U.S. funding too, and Peter Jackson was involved as a producer, so isn't considered a complete "South African production", despite obviously being set in that country. 

13 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Nonsense. THE SONG OF BERNADETTE, DUEL IN THE SUN, LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDOURED THING, and RUBY GENTRY are great.

Shame about getting pushed out of an elevator, 110 stories up, though ;)

Just now, Richard said:

Nonsense. THE SONG OF BERNADETTE, DUEL IN THE SUN, LOVE IS A MANY SPLENDOURED THING, and RUBY GENTRY are great.

I rewatched Song of Bernadette last Xmas.  Good movie.

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

I had a friend at my old work who kept a publicity still of Love Is A Many Splendoured Thing framed on her office shelf. Eccentric old chook who took to me because we both shared similar right wing conservative politics.

The Bourne Supremacist

Look, it was alright. Some crazy exciting action sequences, mostly of Private Ryan beating up other assassins and evading pitifully ineffective Euro cops. Are the rest of these movies like this too? I can see now where the modern Bond flicks get their kicks. Only this Paul Greengrass chap seems to film and edit action better than that moron who made Quantum of Solance. I was disappointed that Run Lola Run got killed so early. I liked her. The first movie was very easy to follow, but this one lost me about three quarters through. What the hell was going on in this movie? I know it's highly revered and influential, but the plot seemed a bit aimless here. I'll persevere and watch Ultimatum.

Flatliners (1990) - guess I never really noticed how ... unrestrained the production design on this was first time round (training hospital doorways lit with red neon, Kiefer Sutherland's apartment suffused in beautiful blue light and containing no furniture apart from a bed, etc). Some of Schumacher's direction ain't subtle, either ... an 'MTV era' movie, indeed.

Still, an entertaining enough (if at times pretty silly) psychological-supernatural thriller. The currently-on-release remake is apparently dreadful.    

10 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

This just fast tracked Fargo to my next series, after Stranger Things. Love Platt. 

Fargo season 1 is fantastic but be aware that Platt is very much a supporting, if important, character in it.