What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

The Bourne Ultimatum

That was a bit better than Supremacy. I think. Still found the plot hard to follow, but suspense and action scenes are supremely and ultimately pulled off. There's something about movies like this that always annoy me, and it's how the bad guys, in this case assassins, are always so damn omnipotent, they just somehow know where the goodies are, no matter how successful they are in evading them. I noticed this cliche in that Mel Gibson flick Blood Father, just gimme a break!

Oh I forgot to post about this last night.

Pride & Prejudice [1940; Robert Leonard]

Starring Greer Garson and Laurence Olivier

Not a bad adaptation, but not great either.  I mean Austen's characters/story are so rock solid it's hard to mess it up too bad, and I enjoy seeing all these old Hollywood character actors.  It's a bit standoffish and too arch, like most of the period comedies of manners from this era of cinema.  Joe Wright's definitive 2005 adaptation really pulls you into the world and the characters are so vivid, the atmosphere so capital-R Romantic.  Amazingly, Olivier makes almost NO impression as Darcy.  Just a nonentity.

Aldous Huxley was a screenwriter on this!

8 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

The Bourne Ultimatum

That was a bit better than Supremacy. I think. Still found the plot hard to follow, but suspense and action scenes are supremely and ultimately pulled off. There's something about movies like this that always annoy me, and it's how the bad guys, in this case assassins, are always so damn omnipotent, they just somehow know where the goodies are, no matter how successful they are in evading them. I noticed this cliche in that Mel Gibson flick Blood Father, just gimme a break!

Really? Ultimatum feels like one long-fast-paced-super-shaky cam chase scene.  There's literally nothing else that you can extract from it and that's why I think it one was easily the worst of the first three movies.

19 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Sure it's chase after chase, but I found it more engrossing than Supremacy, which often bored me. Identity still reigns.

Yes!

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Really? Ultimatum feels like one long-fast-paced-super-shaky cam chase scene.  There's literally nothing else that you can extract from it and that's why I think it one was easily the worst of the first three movies.

Indeed!

We will have to see what Drax thinks of the Jeremy Renner one, which is underrated IMO.

1 hour ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Identity still reigns.

You're saying that so that I would not like it!

53 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Indeed!

We will have to see what Drax thinks of the Jeremy Renner one, which is underrated IMO.

Drax will say that Renner is more Bourne then that guy from that Mars movie.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Rachel Weisz was wasted and the nonsense about drugs that magically make you a genius jock was silly.

Yeah, because I watch Bourne films for their realism.

2 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Is he actually Bourne in that one? He has a different name in the IMDb cast list.

Only one way to find out!

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Yeah, because I watch Bourne films for their realism.

There's a middle ground between realism and magical drugs.  The other Bourne movies live there comfortably!

I did think the opening in Alaska was pretty cool though.

6 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The scene in the house is good, the shootout etc.

Yeah I agree that lot of the action/suspense setpieces were pretty good, and I like Tony Gilroy as a director.  But the ending is awful.  It just sort of...ends suddenly.  Not even in a way that seemed to be setting up a sequel.

Batman v Superman.

Man of Steel... Dawn of Justice... Tired of superhero movies... The titles alone makes me sick.

The whole thing seemed rather disjointed and I quickly lost track of the countless cut-to-blacks. Batman is incredibly stupid in this one and I just find the idea of Superman and him fighting one another ludicrous, especially when the storyline is so absurd that the final battles made me laugh. Oh hang on, now they're friends, four words by Lois Lane did the trick. The other characters were equally boring, I just didn't connect with anyone on any level. Even Diane Lane was bleak most of the time. The only interesting character was Amy Adams. Wait, did Superman just fly off again after having been beaten senseless by Batman and did Lois just become unconscious and conscious in, like, three seconds? The ending isn't bad, it's just unfortunate that it took two hours, twenty minutes and an idiotic monster before something interesting happened.

Now, the music. It could hardly be worse than Man of Steel. The addition of choir was a nice surprise and I liked some of the other-worldly sound design, a rather playful (but inappropriate) celesta/pizzicato strings piece for Lois and some nice violin solos during one of the bad guy's monologues. But... Why the hell is it in A minor, again?? Wy is Hans Zimmer still writing (this) music? Granted, his Superman motif was slightly more effective here, but there's still no room for romance here. Oh, sorry, of course, romance isn't cool and requires a different key and maybe some woodwinds. Batman's identity is a bit of a riddle to me as well. At first I wondered why Zimmer's old material wasn't used, but then I remembered that Zimmer wanted to give someone else the chance to write his music (enter 2,000 ghostwriters) and of course we can't have two superheroes have two two-note themes in one film. In other words, Zimmer's superhero themes got him into trouble because they weren't well-considered. The new Batman music sounds a bit like Elfman's version of the theme, which isn't bad, but here it lacks any kind of heroism, which IS bad. Some Superman theme statements were placed in scenes that didn't need it and the familiar violin/cello chords were annoying too. And urgh, Wonder Woman's music is insufferable. Am I supposed to feel awestruck by this woman? This music just makes me hate her, but at least we're in E minor now. Hello, she lived during World War One, how about some nod to the past, some mysteriousness, some... something else than electric guitars, for crying out loud?

7 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Batman v Superman.

Man of Steel... Dawn of Justice... Tired of superhero movies... The titles alone makes me sick.

The whole thing seemed rather disjointed and I quickly lost track of the countless cut-to-blacks. Batman is incredibly stupid in this one and I just find the idea of Superman and him fighting one another ludicrous, especially when the storyline is so absurd that the final battles made me laugh. Oh hang on, now they're friends, four words by Lois Lane did the trick. The other characters were equally boring, I just didn't connect with anyone on any level. Even Diane Lane was bleak most of the time. The only interesting character was Amy Adams. Wait, did Superman just fly off again after having been beaten senseless by Batman and did Lois just become unconscious and conscious in, like, three seconds? The ending isn't bad, it's just unfortunate that it took two hours, twenty minutes and an idiotic monster before something interesting happened.

Now, the music. It could hardly be worse than Man of Steel. The addition of choir was a nice surprise and I liked some of the other-worldly sound design, a rather playful (but inappropriate) celesta/pizzicato strings piece for Lois and some nice violin solos during one of the bad guy's monologues. But... Why the hell is it in A minor, again?? Wy is Hans Zimmer still writing (this) music? Granted, his Superman motif was slightly more effective here, but there's still no room for romance here. Oh, sorry, of course, romance isn't cool and requires a different key and maybe some woodwinds. Batman's identity is a bit of a riddle to me as well. At first I wondered why Zimmer's old material wasn't used, but then I remembered that Zimmer wanted to give someone else the chance to write his music (enter 2,000 ghostwriters) and of course we can't have two superheroes have two two-note themes in one film. In other words, Zimmer's superhero themes got him into trouble because they weren't well-considered. The new Batman music sounds a bit like Elfman's version of the theme, which isn't bad, but here it lacks any kind of heroism, which IS bad. Some Superman theme statements were placed in scenes that didn't need it and the familiar violin/cello chords were annoying too. And urgh, Wonder Woman's music is insufferable. Am I supposed to feel awestruck by this woman? This music just makes me hate her, but at least we're in E minor now. Hello, she lived during World War One, how about some nod to the past, some mysteriousness, some... something else than electric guitars, for crying out loud?

I sort of resent Zimmer having such a hold on Hollywood scores now, it's same thing over, perfectly attached to all the Hollyweird movies being released

I for one don't resent the era I was born, it gave me a great appreciation into composers and music, I can't say this now for the current generation nor do I look forwards to the future of our creative flows

I was a child of the 60's, I only really understood what this meant since as I started to listen to other people's music in my class, sure they're young but it's the same generic doof doof horrible DAW processed music

Junkie XL I like, I know he collaborated with Zimmer on this movie and some others, when I found this out a little piece of me died inside

I'd just like a world where everything isn't just 1 tone of Zimmer

Batman kills Superman, what's next Escape from New York reboot, Snake is a woman?

Spoiler

he is

57 minutes ago, Snake Plissken said:

I sort of resent Zimmer having such a hold on Hollywood scores now, it's same thing over....

Reveal hidden contents

I'm tired of the cliche Zimmer-esque tropes we hear in music nowadays (especially in trailers.... my god give the Bwaaaam a rest), yet I also don't know what I'd do without soundtracks like Rain Man, Gladiator, etc... I think people will get tired of it eventually, though. We've gone through an synth-driven phase before in the late 70-80's where the majority of movies/tv had synth scores, yet the ones that really stood the test of time like Back to the Future, Star Trek TNG etc, had live orchestras. It's possible we could bounce back to the  more romantic orchestral stuff again, but I think we have a lot of people pushing for different things in the mainstream. 

13 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Batman v Superman.

The ending isn't bad, it's just unfortunate that it took two hours, twenty minutes and an idiotic monster before something interesting happened.

What ending? Supes' funeral? The dirt or sand on his coffin? Is that when it got interesting? To me the movie (the longer cut) was surprisingly okay as long as the Bats hated Superman. It only got uninteresting the moment Bats said: "Wait! You mommy's name is Martha too?! Why didn't you say that earlier, bro?!"

4 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Since TGP left, the floodgates have opened.

And no one to close them again...

1 hour ago, YoYoMama said:

I'm tired of the cliche Zimmer-esque tropes we hear in music nowadays (especially in trailers.... my god give the Bwaaaam a rest), yet I also don't know what I'd do without soundtracks like Rain Man, Gladiator, etc... I think people will get tired of it eventually, though. We've gone through an synth-driven phase before in the late 70-80's where the majority of movies/tv had synth scores, yet the ones that really stood the test of time like Back to the Future, Star Trek TNG etc, had live orchestras. It's possible we could bounce back to the  more romantic orchestral stuff again, but I think we have a lot of people pushing for different things in the mainstream. 

Glad I'm not the only one, I grew up with 80's movies and was great fan. Such experimental music too, John Carpenter was obviously a fav, along with Tangerine Dream, Alan Silvestri, Phillip Glass, John Williams and many others. Somehow that 80s movement of electronic B movies drive has been long lost and forgotten

You only need to look at Stranger Things to see how important this era had in our culture and it's good to see this comeback or tip of the fedora

My own music I make (not great but I love doing it) is 80's heavily influenced and people do remark how JC it is

I just get sick of the Shepard's tones Zimmer keeps reusing, yeah we get it, you like to create tension but it gets boring after a while as we get the trick being employed, rather than enjoying the music, it's like a smoke and mirrors parlor trick, fun once after that meh

Sorry for wall of text guys, back on topic

I watched Get Shorty today, it was good for a predictable Hollywood 90's movie trying to do much with what little it had to offer

The music was there and trying to be hip, this was no Pulp Fiction, and in some ways was trying a little too hard, still somewhat entertaining I guess

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

What ending? Supes' funeral? The dirt or sand on his coffin? Is that when it got interesting? To me the movie (the longer cut) was surprisingly okay as long the Bats hated Superman. It only got uninteresting the moment Bats said: "Wait! You mommy's name is Martha too?! Why didn't you say that earlier, bro?!"

And no one to close them again...

I found the funeral/mourning rather moving.

The Bourne Legacy

Not bad. Probably way easier to follow than the previous two, and the action scenes weren't cut by a meth junkee. You actually got some spatial awareness here. Probably the best score of the series so far. Hawk-Eye and Evelyn O'Connor had more on-screen charisma than Matt Damien and that funny lookin' chick from The Omen. More of a spin-off than an actual Bourne flick. Ends abruptly though!

Always loved this John Huston version of 'Moby Dick' (a miscast Greg Peck notwithstanding) but why, oh why MGM only offers a shitty transfer resembling a used mid-80's vhs tape? May all the sea gods punish them.

19799100.jpg

Kid Galahad

Not the Elvis Presley flick, but the Bette Davis one about a bellhop who boxes for Edward G. Robinson. Bogey plays a baddie in this one! And tell me Bette wasn't sexy in this movie, especially in that figure hugging dress near the beginning revealing she had some nice tits! An underrated figure in Hottywood.

39 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Watching John Carpenter's The Thing tonight. The newly restored version Blu-ray from Arrow Video arrived this morning.

Karol

I'm a super-squeamish person, but that's one of my favorite movies! Morricone's full score is one of my favorite albums: like Alien, it says so much more than "this is scary". For me, they both speak to the adventure of the unknown, and the risks that are the price to pay for going beyond. Beautiful stuff.

Would love to hear your thoughts on both the movie and score. :)

Watched Parkland based on Vincent Bugliosi's Four Days in November. Not bad, not good but found myself expecting if not wishing that Williams' JFK theme played on the credits. Think it might have worked better as the mini-series it was intended to be. 

1922 (2017) (????)

I guess this review technically belongs here because it isn't currently playing in theaters. But did it ever?

There are more rats in this movie than the underground crypt scene from the Last Crusade. It's disgusting. Like most Netflix Original movies, it's a slow paced boring piece of crap filmed in someone's house. If this is the direction the rats are going...time to abandon ship.

300: Rise Of An Empire

300_rise_of_an_empire-12.jpg

Holy gods, this guy is so not Gerard Butler! And Noam Murro is not Zack Snyder. In fact, there was 2 seconds of original footage from the previous film featuring Leonidas (Butler) and it was better than the whole of this sidequel. Eva Green's tits couldn't save the movie either.

1/10