What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Jason Bourne

Now this is more like it! An intro to the title character reminiscent of Rambo III, a duplicitous sidekick in this new Lara Croft chick, baddie Tommy Lee Jones, that ugly Vincent Whatshisface and catchy score make this the best of the sequels. The Las Vegas chase reminded me of Diamonds Are Forever. Good one!

2 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Jason Bourne

Now this is more like it! An intro to the title character reminiscent of Rambo III, a duplicitous sidekick in this new Lara Croft chick, baddie Tommy Lee Jones, that ugly Vincent Whatshisface and catchy score make this the best of the sequels. The Las Vegas chase reminded me of Diamonds Are Forever. Good one!

tumblr_omi4cfcR261shgs1po1_500.gif

I had no idea what the fuck was going on in 2 and 3. It's as though they're so highly revered because people are too scared to admit they couldn't follow them. At least in 4 and 5, they simplified the plots a bit and made it more accessible. The last one in particular felt a bit like SPECTRE.

I really don't understand what was complicated about the plots in 2 and 3.  They're not particularly memorable, maybe you just aren't remembering them?  I don't like Bourne movies for the plot.  I watch for the shots of the faces in the mission control rooms when they realize Bourne has one upped them.  It's like a "There it is!  The "Bourne turned the tables" face!"  Love it.

Murder On The Orient Express (1974) - 7.5 / 10 - Pretty good. Some awesome directing choices (that opening is almost like something out of a silent movie), great cast, and superb music. Hopefully the Branagh adaptation is just as good. That mustache is already legendary. 

Mary Poppins

For the 5th or 6th time this year.  My daughter loves this movie.  Boy is this a movie that takes on whole new dimensions once you're an adult with children.  Has me silently weeping every time.

The Watcher in the Woods

About as hokey as The Black Hole and The Cat From Outer Space. I can believe this really is a Disney flick of its era. Lynn Holly Johnson was such a goofy chick, I think she was wasted in FYEO. Might be the first Bette film I've seen where she doesn't smoke!

The NeverEnding Story

Along with Electric Dreams and The Last Starfighter, this is the among the earliest films I remember watching on tape as a kid.

But one line stood out this time that I never noticed before. At the end when the Childlike Empress reveals to Atreyu that Bastian has been watching them like some creepy CCTV camera, there's a bit snuck in where she says others have been watching him too when things were happening to him. Does that mean she's so omnipotent that she's aware that Bastian is a character in a movie? Did I hear that right?

Ocean's Eleven

Starting a marathon of these flicks I've never seen before. Heist movies aren't really my thing but I guess the humour and starpower made it a must-see when it first came out. This must have been Jason Bourne's job before the CIA recruited him.

Halloween 3 Season of the Pitch

Went to a great screening at the Alamo Drafthouse. An underrated and underappreciated film (though it's been receiving a critical reevaluation lately).  The story is unique and off-the-walls weird, with little in common with the previous films.  I particularly liked the lead; a middle-aged dirtbag doctor who drinks and unapologetically neglects his ex-wife/kids to score a woman half his age. (The film would have been far less interesting had the lead been some good-hearted detective who loves his kids but gets lost in his work and blah blah blah (had the film been made today, that would have definitely been the case)).   The gores and scares are excellent and the score + cinematography give it that classic "80's Halloween movie" atmosphere.  

All This, And Heaven Too

This is a real old costume soap with some cool twists that spice up the melodrama - it becomes especially dark in its last quarter. It's like The Sound of Music's twisted cousin, about a governess who goes to work with an aristocrat's children, and all she finds is trouble in paradise. Bette was often noted for her bitchy, crazy and sometimes even ditzy roles, but here she's beautiful, gentle and maternal - great acting!

The DVD even has a Looney Tunes short called 'Hollywood Daffy'!

The Bride Came C.O.D.

Bette plays a character named Joan. Hehehe. Anyhoo, this is a funny one where she's paired off with James Cagney, who 'kidnaps' her for $1,100. Best bit is when she falls on a cactus, not once, twice, but thrice. Since I'm in the process of removing a three storey cactus from my backyard while I'm on holidays, I sympathise! Cagney could have been Indiana Jones in that sharp hat and that cool leather jacket.

"Glamour girls... a bottleneck in the progress of man!"

I swear one character wore a leather aviator jacket very similar to the Levi's Skyfall one I own. I love that vintage style. Very dashing.

The film was more about Bette getting cactus spikes plucked from her butt anyway.

Ocean's Twelve

What happened to the first ten of these anyway? So this one isn't anywhere near as good as the first. In fact, it's a friggin' disappointment! The one gag I like is setting up Tess as a Julia Roberts doppleganger. That was clever until they decided to drag it out forever. Unlike the first one, I had no idea what they were trying to rob, or what that weirdo Vincent Cassell had to do with anything. I'll persevere with Ocean's Thirteen just because.

6 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Ocean's Twelve

What happened to the first ten of these anyway? So this one isn't anywhere near as good as the first. In fact, it's a friggin' disappointment! The one gag I like is setting up Tess as a Julia Roberts doppleganger. That was clever until they decided to drag it out forever. Unlike the first one, I had no idea what they were trying to rob, or what that weirdo Vincent Cassell had to do with anything. I'll persevere with Ocean's Thirteen just because.

Obviously, you just didn't understand it.

14 minutes ago, Romão said:

But that wailing siren sound was damn effective

Stolen from Silent Hill! Yamaoka did it a decade earlier.

RE: The Ocean’s Twelve discussion.

I’m probably the only one that prefers 12 to 11. I thought the films got better as they progressed, and now they’re doing an all-female sequel. Christ!