What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Plenty of online egos and forum wankers do treat it like a contest though, probably to cover up other things they're shite at.

23 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I only watch Star Trek or British panel shows!

Can you imagine if they made a QI style show all about the sci-fi genre? OMG you'd never go out again!

6 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

I don't have to apologize to the belgie for the shows I watch.

Hey Alex is a list for you to Critcize!

SUNDAY

Walking Dead, Family Guy, Love it or List It, Lost in Space. 

MONDAY

Supergirl, Star Trek Discovery, Star trek TNG or Voyager on BBC America

TUESDAY

The Flash, The Middle, Fresh off the Boat, NCAA Basketball

WED

Survivor, The Goldbergs, Speechless, American Housewife, South Park, CRIMINAL MINDS, NCAA Basketball

THURS.

Big Bang Theory, Young Sheldon, Moms, Life in Pieces, Project Runway, Will and Grace, The Good Place.

FRIDAY

Star Trek, HAWAII 50,  Diners Drive Inns and Dives

SATURDAY

College Football or College Basketball. Usually from 11 am to 1 am 

I Only work 4 days a week so Friday is movie day.  Thursday is mow the yard day. So when I watch tv I do watch what I want or want David wants.

All of you can kiss my tiny white ass for watching shows that are long running

Most of these I haven't seen. Instead I just condense my TV viewing to the Bold from Monday to Friday. Only 30 minutes, 22 minutes minus ads. Easy and efficient.

9 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

It's a terrible menu.

Show us yours. Including all the saucy belgie shit you watch.

Rain Man

So this was the biggest money maker of 1988? General audiences sure had different taste back then. I liked it, but I found myself unable to get over how Tom lost his dead father's beautiful big house and I kept getting distracted by wondering whether he'd get his damn money or that house. In the real world, you could contest the old fart's will. And yeah, it's a heart warmer, but you're left a bit cold realising that the emotion was all a bit one-sided, but I guess that was the point, huh.

42 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

General audiences sure had different taste back then. 

Did they? Isn't Rainman's special way with numbers a bit like a superhero power?

The Horse Whisperer

I think poor Pilgrim had a nervous breakdown and needed a bullet in the head to end his misery rather than waste three movie hours getting him rehabilitated to justify some torrid romance between Redford and that pommie shiela. Sam Neill essentially plays the same role he did in The Piano. Nice scenery though. I could live out there.

Rambo: First Blood Part II and Rambo III

What shocked me the most was not that they were completely ridiculous (as expected), but that they were not even entertaining. The action was so boring and badly made. After listening to the Goldsmith scores you thing "Wow, what a powerhouse trip I went through!". After watching the movies (including the scores) you think "How can the experience be so much less intense just by adding the images and dialogues to the scores?".

5 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Rambo: First Blood Part II and Rambo III

What shocked me the most was not that they were completely ridiculous (as expected), but that they were not even entertaining. The action was so boring and badly made. After listening to the Goldsmith scores you thing "Wow, what a powerhouse trip I went through!". After watching the movies (including the scores) you think "How can the experience be so much less intense just by adding the images and dialogues to the scores?".

Great pulp films!

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Great pulp films!

Maybe great pulp films, but terrible action films.

4 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Yeah ... Arnie at least knew including tongue-in-cheek humour was the way to go with the action-fests.

Exactly.

I'm happy nobody talks about Images anymore, but I just watched the half of it. I think the worst is yet to come.  See you next week-end!

The Diary Of A Teenage Girl

TheDiary2.jpg

Recorded a while ago from Canvas (the best TV channel from The Low Countries) and viewed yesterday. Impressive and daring (for an American film) debut from Marielle Heller. A nice balance between the serious and the not so serious. I actually do not have any negative comments. Literally everything was fine. In other words, I hope that I will remember the name of this director. 8/10

1 minute ago, Alexcremers said:

I actually do not have any negative comments. Literally everything was fine. In other words, I hope that I will remember the name of this director. 8/10

With praise as high as that, what the hell gets a 10/10 from you?

20 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

I still don't get it. What lost two points on Diary of a Teenage Girl if you have no complaints?

While I don't have any complaints, it's not the type of movie that gets me 'into the zone' (which is of course very rare).

About Schmidt

About as unHollywood as it gets with one of the biggest stars ever in the lead. Depressing and nihilistic, but funny enough to keep you hooked along Jack's road to reconciling with his failures and regrets, which will probably happen in a similar manner to each of us untalented and mediocre people when we hit crisis point!

Nicholson's last all-time classic performance.  All due respect to Anger Management and Something's Gotta Give where he was just fun.  And to The Departed where he was just doing "Jack" but still enjoyable.

The Magdalene Sisters.

Ah, what fun to end a Friday evening with a movie about how religion oppressed mankind... Luckily, the announcement of the expanded Titanic soundtrack was still hovering in the back of my mind, I might not have been able to bear this harrowing story otherwise. Great acting, though.

There was almost no music in the film, but Craig Armstrong's score was very effective.

Tank Girl

Flick with two hotties, so I couldn't resist. 90s excess at its most overt, it almost reminds me of the music mags my brother collected back then. Feels so much like Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare, it didn't surprise me it's the same director. Almost the cinematic equivalent to gorging on take-away pizza for an hour and a half. Really fun!

Material Girls

Lame as heck, but the sexy Duff sisters make it surprisingly watchable. Have they done more like this? I'll have to see! I could also see this pair in a Baby Jane remake in 20 years from now. Hilary could be Jane and Haylie could be Blanche. Hearing Hilary do a sad, past-her-prime pop rendition of 'Letter to Daddy' would be worth it.

Desperate Hours

I've watched a lot of home invasion and family in mortal peril flicks lately, but if I was home invaded, I'd rather it be Mickey Rourke's gang than those from other films. Just do as he says and he's relatively benevolent. Entertaining but awful movie.

Death Sentence

One standout chase scene dropped in a hokey script that defies any sensible logic. The home invading gang is frightening as hell, but the cops do nothing about it... even after the gang murders two cops and a family, they fail to act! It's like "don't care".

Swamp Thing

Low budget schlocky pandemonium and Adrienne Barbeau's juggernaut boobs. Exactly what filmmaking should be all about!

9 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Desperate Hours

I've watched a lot of home invasion and family in mortal peril flicks lately, but if I was home invaded, I'd rather it be Mickey Rourke's gang than those from other films. Just do as he says and he's relatively benevolent. Entertaining but awful movie.

The William Wyler film with Humphrey Bogart and Fredric March is another league.

Hidden Figures

Normally I find movies about NASA a chore and a bore to endure, but this one had that dramatically universal 'defy the status quo' theme I like. Sort of like Babe in a way. I didn't know NASA practiced segregation, which is weird since it was a federal government program.