What Is The Last Film You Watched? (Older Films)

Mr. Breathmask

Watched 'Maleficent' on a flight. Pity. The concept of a dark, vengeful fairy at the center had potential but this overstuffed cgi warehouse didn't draw much on them. Once in a while there is a glade or meadow that seems to have been an actual set or location instead of green screen work with a thousand processors attached to them and there is a certain visual poetry there ('Snow White' was the same, actually). 

Apart from that there is too much garish effect work and LOTR leftover creatures. James Newton Howard creates some exceptional scenes ('Maleficent Flies' or the curse sequence for instance) but is more often at the mercy of a noisy blockbuster soundscape (there isn't much room left for grace or silence here). Still, even with all the crap on display, the basic power of the old Grimm tale cannot be denied completely, so 'Maleficent' remains at least watchable.

Grammy90_17_02.jpg

Tomorrow Never Dies - the first flick I decided to (re)watch from my newly acquired Bond Blu-Ray boxset. 

First half is a good deal more fun than the second ... the overlong bike chase and 'TerminatorBond' on the stealth boat really don't have much on the pre-credits sequence and the Q-Branch Beamer-assisted hotel escape, for example. 

Pretty good overall, but I still prefer Goldeneye.  

2 hours ago, Sweeping Strings said:

Tomorrow Never Dies - the first flick I decided to (re)watch from my newly acquired Bond Blu-Ray boxset. 

The best picture quality in that set, along with The Spy Who Loved Me. Sadly so many others had outdated masters.

Wolf Children

I feel like it's been such a long time since a movie made me feel so moved and identified.... You know those movies that feel are made just for you?

9/10

The Lost World

Man, I hate the tracked main theme. So much magificent music got replaced by the same piece, again and again. Four times! It's tracked in four fucking times!

The Hunt

The Trek

High Bar and Ceiling Tiles

Ludlow's End

It's like a best-of selection of the music!

9 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

The Lost World

Man, I hate the tracked main theme. So much magificent music got replaced by the same piece, again and again. Four times! It's tracked in four fucking times!

The Hunt

The Trek

High Bar and Ceiling Tiles

Ludlow's End

It's like a best-of selection of the music!

I guess Spielberg just didn't understand the score to The Lost World.

21 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

The best picture quality in that set, along with The Spy Who Loved Me. Sadly so many others had outdated masters.

It was an Amazon Black Friday deal that tempted me ... it was down to £35 from £65, which worked out at just over £1.45 per movie. I only previously had the Craigs on Blu-Ray and Connery-to-Brosnan on the 'Ultimate Edition' standard-def boxset. 

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

More like he didn't understand what movie he was even trying to make.

3 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

A shitty dinosaur movie?

We should write him a letter and ask him to recut it with all the really interesting scenes included and with John Williams music used as intended. (The latter does not refer to music that was replaced with silence.)

Started my Christmas movie season with Die Hard, Batman Returns and Eyes Wide Shut. While I'm not straight, I have to admit Nicole Kidman was quite something back in those days.

Karol

4 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Started my Christmas movie season with Die Hard, Batman Returns and Eyes Wide Shut. While I'm not straight, I have to admit Nicole Kidman was quite something back in those days.

Karol

So was Michelle Pfeiffer in her quirky way

Just now, Disco Stu said:

So was Michelle Pfeiffer in her quirky way

Yes, of course. Her Catwoman was the most erotic things I've seen as a kid. Unsettling almost.

Karol

22 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Karol

Good trilogy! 

17 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Yes, of course. Her Catwoman was the most erotic things I've seen as a kid. Unsettling almost.

Karol

My definition of kinky before i was allowed into Berlin's underground clubs.

Just now, publicist said:

I was always amazed just how naughty this film is, even to this day. The language they use, the subtexts, the themes. It's slapstick but in a very dark way.

Karol

12 minutes ago, publicist said:

9 minutes ago, publicist said:

And the Elfman, of course. This looked always like a imagined a comic book movie should look like. And i love penguins, so...

Wait, are you talking about Michelle Pfeiffer or or Danny DeVito?

the-meyerowitz-stories.jpg

The Meyerowitz Stories

Charming, heartfelt stuff, and occasionally quite funny. The daughter's film always cracked me up. Strong performances all around, especially from Sandler and Hoffman. Enjoyed it.

thelobster006.jpg

The Lobster

It was okay. I was pretty sold on it until they left the hotel (it should have all stayed in the hotel). The film meandered and lost focus not long after that. The music was pretty obnoxious after some time as well. There is clearly some talent on display here, but I'm yet to be convinced about Lanthimos. Though a friend told me that this was one of his weaker films, and that Dogtooth was the real deal. Will check that out eventually.

11 minutes ago, KK said:

The Meyerowitz Stories

Charming, heartfelt stuff, and occasionally quite funny. The daughter's film always cracked me up. Strong performances all around, especially from Sandler and Hoffman. Enjoyed it.

Great movie!  One of my favorites I've seen this year for sure.  The entire cast all do great work, from Thompson in a small but funny role to Marvel as what I consider the heart of the movie.

5 hours ago, KK said:

the-meyerowitz-stories.jpg

The Meyerowitz Stories

You speak the truth! (Y)

5 hours ago, KK said:

thelobster006.jpg

The Lobster

It was okay. I was pretty sold on it until they left the hotel (it should have all stayed in the hotel). The film meandered and lost focus not long after that. The music was pretty obnoxious after some time as well. There is clearly some talent on display here, but I'm yet to be convinced about Lanthimos ...

Once again, you speak the truth. (Y)

The Room (2003)

For a film to be dubbed one of the "best bad flicks of all time", it's just inept filmmaking. Some purple prose lines and line readings are hysterical (like the cancer reveal and the rooftop arguments), while the sex scenes are hilariously awkward. But the pacing is tortuous, I had to fast-forward through part of it. Tommy Wiseau's style defies belief, it's a mixture of various genres and none of it works. 

It's a shame. It doesn't have that crazy insanity that made Howling 2 a hysterically funny movie. Just a vanity project for a guy who had no business or experience making a movie in the first place.

The Squid And The Whale

Fantastic early Baumbach where all the elements come together beautifully. Acting, music, script, cinematography... really enjoyed the rustic qualities to these aspects of the filmmaking that made the whole thing feel very grounded. 

1 hour ago, Matt C said:

The Room (2003)

For a film to be dubbed one of the "best bad flicks of all time", it's just inept filmmaking. Some purple prose lines and line readings are hysterical (like the cancer reveal and the rooftop arguments), while the sex scenes are hilariously awkward. But the pacing is tortuous, I had to fast-forward through part of it. Tommy Wiseau's style defies belief, it's a mixture of various genres and none of it works. 

It's a shame. It doesn't have that crazy insanity that made Howling 2 a hysterically funny movie. Just a vanity project for a guy who had no business or experience making a movie in the first place.

Yeah it was alright.

Howling 2: Your Sister is a Werewolf

This is how you do a 'good' bad film, and while there are sections where you have to fast forward (any dialogue scenes with Annie McEnroe and Reb Brown), this movie defies belief. Apart from the hideous acting, the movie is full of holes, bad gore effects, and makes no sense most of the time. Being a cheap sequel, it reuses its four werewolf transformation scenes ad nauseum (and sometimes for no reason at all). The werewolves themselves look like Chewbacca got hit with the ugly stick. And there's a werewolf threesome and later orgy scene which has to be seen to be believed. And a lot of these scenes are hysterically funny.

Sybil Danning is one of the key reasons to see it, while Christopher Lee looked bored and uncomfortable. Danning's acting is awful, without a doubt, but cuts a striking figure in that fetish outfit. (And after seeing the end credits, you'll be able to draw her tits from memory too.) Stephen Parsons gets a lot of mileage from that one song his band performs in the film, which appears in different iterations throughout the film. The camerawork is standard for the 1980s but miles above The Room's point-and-shoot method. And the "Home Improvement" scene wipes add to the kitsch value, while some of the editing makes no sense.

This is a BAD film, but has more entertainment value than some of the recent comedies out there. A glorious trainwreck.

On 4.12.2017 at 11:01 PM, Baby Jane Hudson said:

...or not properly remastered.

21 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Tonight's Program.

IMG_2299.JPG

Wine and movie snacks? :D

4 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

...or not properly remastered.

Most of them are outdated 2006 Lowry Digital masters, especially when looking at all films from Moonraker to Licence to Kill. GoldenEye is a disaster. TND and SWLM were brand new masters for the 2012 set.